ANC Carr Fire Scholarship Fund is a Success! Meet the Winning Auction Bidders

I’m delighted to report that the second annual online auction to benefit the ANC Carr Fire Scholarship Fund was a resounding success. Once again, thanks to the generosity of wonderful donors and bidders, come spring, we can grant $1,000 scholarships to yet another five north-state graduating high school seniors who lost  homes in the Carr Fire.

Come spring, the five new 2020 scholarship recipients will join the five 2019 scholarship winners: Daisy Brummer and Sophie Bunton of Shasta High School, Madison Morton of Central Valley High School, Justin Matties of University Preparatory School, and Mason Buck of Foothill High School.

If my math is correct (you numbers people feel free to double check), this 2020 auction will bring in $4,415 through bids. Plus, we received two monetary donations from a pair of bashful longtime ANC supporters, specifically to benefit the scholarship fund; one for $500, and the other for $200, which brings us to a grand total of $5115 for the scholarship fund.

Thank you, incredible giving donors. Thank you, wonderful bidders. Thank you, ANC helpers Barbara Rice, Candace Corbin and Joe Domke, for your extra assistance to make the auction possible.

And thank you all, for cheering us on, and reading and supporting ANC, giving us a platform to not just provide local news, color and commentary, but to sometimes join forces to give back to our north state community, such as through this ANC Carr Fire Scholarship Fund. Today I feel especially honored and proud to be part of ANC and our locally owned, locally interested online community. I hope you do, too.

Without further ado, here are the auction items, and their tenacious winning bidders.

In the meantime, please join me in thanking our donors and bidders, without whom this auction would not have been possible. Congratulations to us all!

(Note: A reception will be held for the donors and bidders, and if you’re in that group, and did not receive an email from me, please contact me at donic.anewscafe@gmail.com so I can send you details about the event so you can attend.)

Backyard Urban Farm Gift Basket by Shelly Shively (A)

Winning bid: $55 Carrie Dokter

Backyard Urban Farm Gift Basket by Shelly Shively (B):

Winning bid: $75 Judy Smith

“Banksquiat” print by Monique Nikki Cassells

Winning bid: $40 Joanne Snyder

Carr Fire Felted Phoenix by Paul Jones of Phoenix Glass – Deb Segelitz

Winning bid: $120 Karen Bennett

Carr Fire Glass Phoenix by Welsh Artist Paul Jones – Eleanor Townsend/Deb Segelitz

Winning bid: $100 Anita Brady

Canada Goose Photograph by Jon Lewis

Winning bid: $55 Hal Johnson

Chandelier Crystal Necklace/Earrings by Kimberly Bonéy/HerStory Vintage

Winning bid: $75 Margy

“Classic Relaxation” print by Monique Nikki Cassells

Winning bid: $35 Doug & Cherry Mudford

Clear Creek Soap Company Gift Basket by  Roberta Busher

Winning bid: $150 Janine Hall

Consultation with Interior Re-Designer Shelly Shively

Winning bid: $110 Margy

Doni & Joe’s Romantic Valentine’s Dinner for 8 in Doni’s Home

Winning bid: $500 The Makinsons

Doni’s Famous Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Cake No. 1)

Winning bid: $100 Verleen Rath

Doni’s Famous Sour Cream Coffee Cake (Cake No. 2)

Winning bid: $75 Hal Silliman

“Let it Go” print by Monique Nikki Cassells

Winning bid: $150 Erica Reagan Hackett

Murano Vase – Candace Constans-Corbin

Winning bid: $200 Doug & Cherry Mudford

“Native Soul” print by Monique Nikki Cassells

Winning bid: $25 Melanie Gilchrist

Raku Bowl – Candace Constans-Corbin (A)

Winning bid: $35 Terry Turner

Raku Bowl – Candace Constans-Corbin (B)

Winning bid: $45 Melanie Gilchrist

“Retro Primitiva Kolekto” print by Monique Cassells

Winning bid: $50 Erica

Taste of Redding – 2 Tickets by Redding West Rotary

Winning bid: $100 Steve Towers

“The View From the Trail” Watercolor by Erin Friedman

Winning bid: $100 Doug & Cherry Mudford

Wood-and-metal Coat & Hat Hanger – J’Anna Jacoby

Winning bid: $100 Doug & Cherry Mudford

“Willow Walk” Pastel by Patricia Cook

Winning bid: $230 Joanne Van Ert

“Willow Walk” by Redding artist Patty Cook.

Wintu Audubon Society Guided Birding Trip to Sacramento Wildlife Refuge

Winning bid: $300 Annelise Pierce

1860-Machine Made Phoenix-Adorned Whisk Broom – by Beverly Stafford

Winning bid: $40 Doug & Cherry Mudford

Contribution from longtime ANC supporter: $500

Contribution from longtime ANC supporter: $200

Doni Chamberlain

1. Avatar Matt Grigsby says:

Wow, what an amazing haul! This community really is something special and I couldn’t be prouder of everyone’s generosity and support!

2. Deb Segelitz Deb Segelitz says:

That is so wonderful! Congratulations to all the winning bidders!

3. Avatar Dan Greaney says:

Doni, thank you for creating this forum for people to give in their diverse ways. This is the stuff of community.

4. Avatar Eleanor Townsend says:

Ah Doni, the amount of thought, time and effort, heart and soul, that you put into this auction, is what makes it the amazing event that it is. No one can know – except maybe Joe – all of the fine detail and personal touches you add, and the time and planning involved. Thank you for making it fun, and thanks to all the bidders – winning or not – who contributed to the success of the event. Wow!

5. Avatar Anita Brady says:

I hope Matt is willing to be the caretaker of the Phoenix again for 2020?!

6. Avatar Doug Mudford says:

Thank you Doni.

All of us had struggles to deal with in 2019 but you are an amazing example of putting aside those struggles to think of others. This is such a good cause. It took your time, effort, money and professional acumen to pull off another successful auction. I thank the others for their remarkable efforts…hopefully they won’t mind if I thank them through you. The coat/hat hanger was purchased for you. Cherry insisted. Enjoy.

Doug Mudford

7. Avatar Doug Mudford says:

Dear Doni:

If I’ve already posted this…well you’ll have to read a slightly different version. Evidently writing a comment and pushing the Post Comment button is difficult territory for me without a pot of coffee first.

While all of us had struggles in 2019, you managed to put yours aside long enough to spearhead this great event. You gave your time, effort, money and professional acumen to help others. I want to be like you when I grow up. I hope it’s ok with the others who helped you if I thank them through you. The coat/hat rack was purchased for you. Cherry insisted. Enjoy.

Doug Mudford

• Doug, I like both versions, so I’ll keep them both.

Yes, what a year of struggle 2018 and 2019 were … for so many. I am optimistic that the success of this auction, here, at the start of this year, will bode well for the rest of the year, too, and that good days will just keep happening for us all. We can hope.

Thank you, again.

Thank you and Cherry for being such enthusiastic, generous and humble supporters of ANC and this auction. You never seek attention, but it does not go unnoticed.

And Cherry, what a surprise that you passed on the coat rack to me. Thank you. It’s lovely. And so are you.

8. Avatar erin friedman says:

Wonderful news — well done, everyone!

9. Joe Domke Joe Domke says:

There was one more $20 donation that brings the total to $5135.

While the bidding is closed, you can still make a donation to the ANC Carr Fire Scholarship Fund here.

• Yes, and other generous supporter, who wanted to remain nameless, donated another $450 this evening at the reception. And yet another bidder rounded up her bid offer by another $20. Those donations bring the auction’s grand total to $5,605, more than $300 than we raised last year. We still have $300 left over from last year, and if we can bump up the total a little more in the next few months, we will have enough to grant six $1,000 scholarships, not five.

I’m very excited!

10. Terry Turner Terry Turner says:

Thank you again, Doni and Joe, for giving us such a wonderful way to contribute to our community. I am so proud to be a small part of helping fund the Carr Fire Scholarships . Thank you both, and thanks again to all who participated. The heart of Redding is strong.

11. Avatar Sue Shine says:

Doug and Cherry Mudford: So happy to see your strong support of the ANC Carr Fire Scholarship Fund. Enjoy your sense of humor, Doug. Very pleased to see that Cherry (I know her) wanted Doni to have the Coat and Hat Rack – Perfect! And thanks to J’Anna Jacoby for donating said rack. It’s tasteful and the photo is very nice.

12. Avatar Candace says:

What a wonderful success story for ANC and the future ANC Carr Fire Scholarship recipients. Again! Well done all!

13. My apologies for being so late to reply to all these lovely comments, many of which literally brought tears. I was deep into the auction all day, getting the items ready (thanks to Candace Corbin for the help), and then hosting the reception for the donors and the highest bidders. And what an array of items, truly something for everyone, and every item was bid upon.

What an incredible collaboration between the people who donated so much, and those who bid on the items, all to provide scholarships for students who lost everything in the Carr Fire.

I feel such gratitude for everyone who participated in this event. Thank you all!

In the coming days we’ll connect with those who were unable to attend the reception, and make sure the items reach their designated bidders.

In the meantime, the Carr Fire Scholarship committee will soon start the process of soliciting applications from the high schools.

Bless you, and thank you!

14. Avatar erin friedman says:

I’m not sure IF there are any graduating homeschool students who lost homes in the Carr Fire – but I’d be happy to reach out to the homeschooling community for ANC and find out, if that is needed. Again, congratulations!

15. Avatar Linda Cooper says:

What a beautiful grass roots effort. As someone said to me in 1992, the people in Shasta County are “generous of spirit.” Congratulations to all who participated. I’m guessing that the scholarship recipients appreciate the monetary value, and also feel the community support with their award.

And next year, I aim to be more determined (I won’t write ruthless) with my bidding! As a wise woman suggested to me, “it’s for a good cause.”

16. Avatar Phyllis Funk says:

A belated cudos Doni to you and your cohorts for the recent success of h your fundraiser for Carr Fire victims. This is coming from a a new reader up in Fall R. M. I have been hearing about you and your site from my dear neighbor friend who has followed you for years now. After watching your auction unfold, “I get it.”
    I am a new fan? Looking forward to participating in next years’ auction and I will spread the word about your site to other mountain folks out East of you.
    Have a wonderful day