1. Avatar Ginny says:

Another wonderful article in your series, Doni. Great Work!

May Donald reach the lofty goals he has set out for himself. He has the Key! God Bless, him.

2. Avatar LovestoEat says:

This is a really nice piece about Donald but I think it is probably a story that doesn't happen often enough. The amount of folks who offer their surplus apartments or homes would of course be limited so what can be done to mimic these offers of generosity to the homeless? Boggles the mind but just the same I praise Donald for staying on track.

3. Randall Smith Randall Smith says:

Interesting line from "Iron Lady" has Margaret Thatcher saying that she came from a time when doing something was more important than being something. Mr. Hunt's dreams and wisdom about individual accountability harken to a time when words like "bum", "tramp", "hobo", "vagrant", etc. were in common use before political correctness and concern for feelings overran achievement and respect. This was a time when the teeter totter of liberty was seen to rest on the balance between "rights" and "responsibility". He is Jefferson's Common Man in all the wonder that term has always represented. Bless Doni for finding him and sharing his compelling story. People have to want help to find it. It's there, but he is right about the rules which John Locke cited over three hundred years ago.

4. Avatar LizAnn says:

I just love this guy. He is on my prayer list for sure. Thank you Doni, for another excellent article in the series. : )

5. Great work by Doni…..and, especially, by Donald. As has been said, over and over, transitional housing is desperately in need in our community for those who are seeking a hand up and who, like Donald, are committed to helping themselves.

6. Avatar Bob Grosch says:

"There was so much out there in the way of help that I didn't know about," he said.

This is indeed part of the problem. The other part is that if you are homeless it is very, very difficuilt to get around town to visit the places that can offer you help. Homeless people don't usually have automobiles, and their bikes (if they have them) are often not very useful either.

A partial answer is the Project Homeless Connect held each year at the Civic Auditorium, this year on May 22. Last year there were about 70 service providers who came together in one place offering services to over 1000 homeless and at-risk citizens. But where is the funding to do this more than once a year?

• Avatar 4catz4me says:

Project Homeless Connect IS an awesome event and you are absolutely correct – once a year is not adequate! I have volunteered for a couple of PHC's. Everyone should volunteer at least once – it's a real eye-opening and quite wonderful experience……..leave your judicial robes at home.

• Avatar Lillie says:

I have not been aware of the resources available either. Project Homeless Connect sounds like a worthy project to fund and as someone who has walked in their shoes, and lives in this community, Donald would be a powerful speaker. I would be interested in hearing what he has to say and where he's been since this article. Thanks Doni, your series is building a community of interested and now educated citizens. The information you gather should be published within easy access to anyone who is looking for assistance. But maybe that is already available, too, at Northern Valley Catholic Social Services…

I found their list of continually needed items for "Second Home": http://www.nvcss.org/programs/neededItems.pdf
      …as good a place to start giving as any (easy to add to my shopping list) and an opportunity to learn more about what they do.

7. Avatar Canda says:

Donald, thank you for sharing your story with Doni. My prayers are with you as you continue to rebuild your life in a positive direction. You're wise to realize the road isn't always forward, but it sounds like you're willing to do what it takes. I'm sure your daughters are very proud of you, and hopefully your story will be an inspiration to others who are struggling with homelessness. Bless you, Donald, and also Doni for putting up this remarkable series.

8. Avatar Michelle says:

Well written. Powerful message. I hope others might be able to read it. My grandma told me once, "You don't have to live the way you were a raised." That comment motivated me right through college.

9. Avatar Mark C says:

Great article in your series Doni! It's good to hear about some success and see that it's not "hopeless". Yes there is plenty of room for improvement, but it is encouraging to hear about those places that are contributing to successful life-stories such as DJ’s.

DJ, I hope you have friends around you to give you a positive influence and encouragement to keep you going in the direction of a healthy life-style! It sounds like you are on the right track now…good job and keep it up!!! Your health and your daughter’s well-being are worth the effort! Blessings to you!!

10. Avatar 4catz4me says:

It's like anything else – losing weight, quitting smoking……whatever. It's just not going to happen until that very personal choice is made, until that person decides that's really what they want. Sometimes exhortations from others can make a contribution to that decision process, but it's also very clear that this young man had to make that choice himself and continues to have to make that same choice every day. The will and strength to do that come from inside. I wish him every success – one day at a time, one step at a time, one reaffirming decision at a time.

11. Avatar pmarshall says:

Thank you Doni; this was a great article. I commend Donald for his very large "supply" of grit. Sure hope he can hang in there.

12. Avatar PaulCo says:

Great article and a great series. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks!

13. Avatar Grammy Day says:

As a low income senior in this community I feel very blessed to live comfortably in an apartment complex that is subsidized by government programs. For 25 years I worked with "at risk " teens. There is such a need for youth who have been in the system to have support as they reach the age of 18 and are "dumped" into society to make their own way. I see some of these same people on the streets now,obviously homeless and struggling. Thank you for doing this series.It has given me new resources for volunteering my time and experience to help others. Bless you

14. Avatar Russell says:

My name is Russell from Sandpoint, ID. I've been looking for D.J. for about 5 years. He is one my best friends. We lost contact due to his trip back to Redding back in 07. If you ask him he knows who i am. if anyone can help with us reconnecting it would be the world to me and i'm sure him also. My email is klondike_6916@hotmail.com please Doni if you read this help me talk to him again…!!!

15. Avatar Curtis says:

I've known him many years and were best friends and roommates. It broke my heart to lose touch with him. But knowing the inner strength he has his life will improve. Like Russell said he does live tigger and genus a great artist keep strong brother