Just Sayin’: You’ve Got a Peeve, I’ve Got a Peeve. All God’s Chillun Got Peeves

You think you don’t have any peeves? Oh, come on now. Sure you do. We all have peeves. You know, it’s that little something that consistently annoys us, but not enough to do something about.

Or else it’s the something over which we have no control,  but annoys us anyway. It may be something never articulated or it may be something you mutter about under breath, or you may have mounted your proverbial soap box and expressed your annoyance to the world.

That’s not all. I also bet you treasure those peeves. Yes, you do! They’re like an old sweater of familiarity you put on when the occasion arises.

Right now my pet peeve is the word “got”. Never mind the title of this piece, It’s a quote.

“You’ve GOT mail.” Are you kidding me? What happened to, “You have mail?” And in many forms: “I got this at the mall.” What’s wrong with “I purchased, (or picked up, or bought, or even stole) this at the mall?”

Take “I’ve got to go there,”  and “You’ve got to see this.” In both of those sentences the “got” is superfluous. In fact, it is a rare sentence where the word “got” is appropriate.

And as successful as it’s been (and what kind of a person criticizes milk, for heaven’s sake) I HATE the “Got Milk?” campaign. OK,  not the campaign, because it’s been extremely successful, but the slogan.

But wait, as they say on TV,  there’s more. You didn’t really think I’d let you off the hook with only one pet peeve, now did you?

Since I teach at a studio in Cottonwood, I travel SR273 several times each week. Invariably there will be cars traveling side by side at exactly the same speed. Dear driving friend, if you’re traveling the same speed as the car in the No 1 lane, please either speed up or slow down and get in the same lane. BTW, this does not always apply on city streets where there are signals controlling the flow of traffic.

One must be a little careful with those peeves, however. They can backfire. I recall being stopped at a red light. I was behind a van who had his right turn indicator on (Oh, turn indicators . . . yet another peeve. USE THEM!) I was also turning right. The light turned green and there he sat. I waited what I thought was a gracious amount of time then, rather patiently, “tapped” my horn. He still sat. So I “tapped” my horn a little more vehemently, and just then a motorized wheelchair that had been crossing in the crosswalk came into view. I wanted to run up beside the driver’s window and yell, “I didn’t mean it,, I didn’t mean it!!”

But enough about me and my peeves. What about you? What are yours?

Adrienne Jacoby
Adrienne Jacoby is a 40-plus-year resident of Shasta County and native-born Californian. She was a teacher of vocal music in the Enterprise Schools for 27 years and has been retired for 11 years. A musician all her life, she was married to the late Bill Jacoby with whom she formed a locally well -known musical group who prided themselves in playing for weddings, wakes, riots, bar mitzvas and super market openings. And, oh yes … she has two children, J’Anna and Jayson.

1. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

Don’t get me started on grammatical errors in advertising!

2. Tom O'Mara Tom O'Mara says:

“Less” vs. “fewer.”

3. Avatar Ginny says:

Totally different meanings: Your used instead of contraction you’re!

Guess even book editors aren’t good.

4. Avatar EasternCounty says:

Got and its counterpart, get. Getting married? Why not marrying? And the wind is blowing. What else can wind do? How about just windy? Since you mentioned automobiles, how about this one: cars in line at a red light but the driver leaves a car-length or more between his car and the one in front. If all the drivers who do that would leave just a couple of feet between their front bumper and the rear bumper of the car in front, more cars could fit into the lane. And who was the genius who designed the entrance to the Churn Creek Post Office? Was it the same person who designed the parking lot at the Holiday Market? I agree with Barbara Stone’s comment. It would seem that a company as wealthy as Ford could hire an advertising agency that knows the difference between farther and further. Their motto, Go Further, is enough to make me not want to buy a Ford product. Rant over.

• Avatar cheyenne says:

One of the things I don’t miss about Redding. The entrance to the Churn Creek Post Office.

• AJacoby AJacoby says:

Especially in that Cypress/Bechelli/freeway entrance/Hilltop complex. ESPECIALLY the Cypress/Hilltop. Some times of the day gridlock at that intersection is almost a guarantee. . . . and some of that is because of exactly what you said about spacing.

• Avatar cheyenne says:

I remember some thirty years ago I worked on the Cypress/Hilltop corner. During the day a car came off the freeway from the south, apparently the driver had a heart attack and the gas pedal was floored. The car came across Cypress, through the lot of the NW gas station, across Hilltop barely missing a propane tank, smashed into the TV store through the front doors and stopped at the desk of an employee who jumped out of the way. The TV store owner turned off the keys to the car as the tires were still spinning. Somehow the driver was okay, but shaken.
        It was hard to comprehend how the car made it through the intersection without hitting a another car because even back then Cypress/Hilltop was often gridlocked.

• Avatar Joanne Lobeski-Snyder says:

The same type of accident at that same location almost killed one of my brightest students. She suffered brain damage and spend an eternity in the hospital but is doing well today. Her son in the back seat was in a car seat and was unscathed.

• Avatar Kay Beck says:

My first full time job was in the claims dept. of a major insurance company.

I would rather see a car length between cars lined up at a stop light than see someone sitting right on the bumper of the car in front, especially when I am in the car in front.

If someone rear ends the car behind you, and that car rear ends your car, and then YOU then rear end the car in front of you, it is YOUR fault for hitting the car in front of you. You were too close to the car in front of you. You need to maintain enough space between your car and the car in front of you. Period. It’s the law. Just fair warning.

Oddly, most people do not know this. This chain of events happened to a friend of mine who was hot on the trail of the car in front of her, because that person drove off. My friend wanted the person in the car in front of her to pay for the damage to the front of her car. I told her to stop looking for that person because when she finds him or her, my friend would be responsible for repairing the back bumper on their car.

• Avatar Kay Beck says:

The solution to the mess at the I-5 entrances/exits on Cypress is for the city to adjust the timing of the lights.

Can’t do much about the design of those intersections because that is a done deal now.

I’d say it is a poor design which is an understatement.

Best bet is to avoid that area if you do not have to enter/exit the freeway. I usually go out of my way to NOT be there between noon and 6 pm.

5. Avatar Joanne Lobeski-Snyder says:

Great article Adrienne. You made me laugh. I’ll watch my language around you in the future. I’m still annoyed by the Apple campaign….”Think Different.” I have some great posters (great photographs of amazing people) that I didn’t put up in my classroom because every time I see these posters I think “that’s differently, differently…” And please stop me if I chime in with some phrase is circulating that can bring a conversation to a halt …”It is what it is.” “Been there, done that.” “And your point is?” Again, thank you Adrienne for an excellent article.

6. Avatar name(required) says:

I will take bad grammer any day over idiot drivers. Those people have GOT to get out of the fast lane…

7. Avatar Stan says:

Now if only I could have awakened instead of “woken up.”

8. Avatar Kay Beck says:

So, getting to my pet peeve: using the phrase “it’s to die for”. Having had cancer, I am here to tell you unequivocally : that piece of chocolate cake is NOT “to die for’. Neither is anything else you might put in your mouth and eat.

That phrase originated in the San Fernando valley (“The Valley”) by 15-year-old “Valley Girls”. Could we bury it now?…let IT die? Please?

• Wow. Good memory about some guys’ responses at the reunion. (I do believe that such gems as “workin’ hard, hardly workin’,” and “Jack of all trades, master of none,” and “can’t complain” were among the collection.

(On a serious note, I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. 🙁 )

• I agree with your distaste of the “to die for” phrase, which I dislike almost as much as “better than sex” (usually something chocolate). Sex? Chocolate? Apples and oranges.

9. AJacoby AJacoby says:

Oh, you guys make me smile . . . pet peeves. I just saved you a trip to the doctor to check your blood pressure because i gave you a place to air them So, take a deep breath. Feel better? I thought so!! Me too!!

10. Avatar Donna Ayres says:

I have a few pet peeves myself. One is why do large SUV’s and huge trucks park in spots clearly marked for compacts only. Another is traffic that doesn’t stop for pedestrians in supermarket parking lots, making people wait for them to go by especially in the rain.

11. This might seem silly, but one of my peeves is, “I’m good” rather than saying “no, thank you”.

Would you like a cup of coffee?
    I’m good

It drives me a little crazy. Occasionally I’ll reply, “I know you’re good, but would you like some coffee?” but that’s kind of bratty, since I know what they mean.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

“I’m good” as a response doesn’t bother me nearly so much as “It’s all good.” No, really, it isn’t all good. Sometimes it’s really bad as when you lost Jaime and when I lost my brother-in-law a couple of days ago. When you were with Brand X, you wrote a column about attending your high school reunion, and instead of carrying on decent conversations with some of your classmates — mostly the men, as I recall — many of the responses were just platitudes such as “I tell you what.”

12. Deb Deb says:

Just spotted this gem! I’ve never actually thought of ‘got’ in those contexts but you’re right! ‘You’ve got mail’… you have got mail? What? Why have I never noticed that before? Now I will never NOT notice it (to scramble grammar some more), again!

I laughed when I saw the title of your article, though, because it is, itself, a pet peeve of mine – that being the use of “just sayin'”. When someone ends a communication with those always-somehow-defiant words, “just sayin'”, it drives me bonkers. It’s “just sayin'” that everything anyone else has said is wrong, in their opinion, and furthermore everyone should just agree with their opinion completely because to do otherwise is obviously ridiculous, just sayin’. Arrrrggh!

Thanks for the laugh today, both in your article and in the comments!

• AJacoby AJacoby says:

Well, here’s my take on the subject of ‘just saying”:. When I say “Just saying'” I’m inferring that YOU don’t have to agree, it’s just MY thoughts or opinion on the subject. . . . which is kinda the point of the column. Sure is amazing what personal baggage we all bring to our use and understanding of our language. The written word is wonderful and necessary but there is certainly a lot of information that is communicated in a face to face communication that isn’t usually available in the written word.
      Me too . . . I love reading about other folks’ pet peeves. Makes me smile!

13. Avatar Richard says:

Ironically, AOL’s initial service mark was “You Have Mail”.

See: http://www.internetlibrary.com/cases/lib_case220.cfm

My peeves are: 1. Different than, rather than different from.
    2. I could care less, rather than I could NOT care less.
    3. Innocent until proven guilty, rather than presumed innocent.
    4. Judgment rather than the British spelling of judgement.

But all in all, quite minor irritations in the grand scheme.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

Although it’s not used, I think it should be, “innocent UNLESS proven guilty.” UNTIL connotes that it’s going to happen.

14. Avatar Kay Beck says:

…another one just came my way

“I will shoot you an e-mail”

Really, what kind of gun to you plan to use?

15. Avatar Joanne Lobeski-Snyder says:

Since we’re on a roll here I want to add three particularly awful “false sympathy” platitudes that annoy me. “It could have been worse…like the time I…”, “I know how you feel..” and “He/she will be fine.” There is a time to drop rote responses and dredge up something heartfelt. “I am so sorry. I can’t imagine how you feel.”

16. Avatar KarenC says:

I wanted to comment on the drivers who leave space between them and the car in front while waiting for a light or some other reason. Every few years I take a driving course so that I get ten percent off on my car insurance. So does my husband. We are constantly told that when we pull up behind a car waiting for a light, or at a stop sign, we are to pull up to where we still see the back tires on the ground. If you cannot see the tires, you are way too close and could be cited in case of an accident. So the next time you see someone doing this, remember there is a reason. That life that is saved might be yours some day.

As for pet peeves….one that drives me crazy is the constant use of “you know” when one is speaking. I get bratty now, and the first time they use it, I smile and say, “no, I don’t know”. Usually, I get their attention and they try to be more careful with the rest of the dialogue.

People who call on the phone and say, “is this Karen” or “is (my husband’s name) there?” When I call someone, I always announce myself and then ask a question.

People in business who constantly have a full mail box and you cannot leave a voice message, sometimes for a week or more.

17. Avatar Barb Crislip says:

Aren’t we all silly, complaining about such minor (mostly) things, but it feels so good!
    One of mine is the apparently changed useage of “waiting for” and “waiting on”. I grew up in the Midwest, where waiting on was what your waitress did for you, and waiting for was what you were doing standing around looking at your watch, anticipating an arrival. Waiting on now seems to be the frequent choice for both situations.

18. Avatar KarenC says:

Barb, that brings back memories. My mother worked in a high end ladies dress and fur shop in the 40’s and 50’s. When I was little, I would stop by the shop and ask her, “who are you waiting on?” I loved seeing all the pretty ladies trying on beautiful dresses and the latest selection of real furs.

19. AJacoby AJacoby says:

After reading all these grammatical “peeves” I can’t help but remember one of my mother’s favorite peeves. The use of the word government, pronounced by almost every specifier as gum-ment. . . . especially those running for office.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

NPR is my news source. One of the female political reporters pronounces president as prezdent. And another pronounces rural more like rule. It wouldn’t seem that those two words should be such tongue twisters.

20. AJacoby AJacoby says:

I know we all have speech patterns that may irritate a listener. My friends tease me because I say sue-burb rather a suh-burb. But if you are doing public speaking, one should make an effort to keep these to a minimum, I think.

21. Gunnevi Humphries Gunnevi Humphries says:

Gunnevi Humphries
    February 15, 2015 • 10:11 am
    Adrienne….
    You’ve always had a knack for words and always funny, “tongue-in-cheek”, happy. Thank you for the laughs and giggles!!! (Another of my “peeves” …… NEGATIVITY…. geez, can those nay-sayers put a smile on??)