Speaking of Dogs: The Fight Before Christmas

Some of the most cringe-worthy phone calls I receive are those from desperate pet owners describing how their two dogs have, “started fighting out of the blue.”

I cringe because 99.9% of the time, the call comes long after the first dog fight and now, the fights have escalated in both frequency and intensity.

If one dog is in the hospital being treated for combat wounds – or if a person was bitten trying to break up the fight – a piece of my dog-training spirit dies.

Dog housemates fight for a variety of reasons but it’s never, ever out of the blue, or for no reason, or because “she’s protecting me.” I guarantee there are plenty of warnings in dozens of little events leading up to the fight. Trouble is, the messages are delivered in the subtle non-verbal communication of dogs and if you’re not a student of canine body language, you’ll miss them.

Our dog friends laugh at the human notion of “sharing.” To a dog, what’s mine is mine and what’s yours is also mine. So it makes sense that most housemate disputes are due to competition over what we dog trainers call, “high value resources.” Your home is filled with doggie bounty and to Willie and Rex, the following assets are worth defending:

• Food. For most dogs, food is numero uno
  • Choice resting areas. Especially the couch or your bed
  • Toys
  • Attention from you
  • Thresholds, particularly those to the house, yard, or car

To illustrate this, let me tell you the tale of what we fondly refer to as The Christmas Morning Melee.

It all began so innocently with my misguided attempt to create a Norman Rockwell Christmas… with pugs.

Chaz and Newt – Christmas Combatants.

Our friend had come bearing gifts for the dogs. Chaz (pug) and Newt (pug/Boston terrier) had received a four-foot long Christmas stocking stuffed with toys and treats. After some ooing and ahhing, we placed it on top of the other presents under the tree. The stocking was clear plastic so the pugs could see exactly what was in store for them. While the humans enjoyed delicious Christmas brunch, Chaz and Newt monitored the enchanting gift.

Chaz and Newt are the very best of friends. They are constant companions and spend their days lounging on the same bed, each chewing one of their numerous toys. There is rarely a dispute, though occasionally, one pug will attempt a hostile takeover of the other’s toy.  If it turns into a pushing contest, complete with low growls, we instantly direct the instigator to a different toy and bed. If that doesn’t work, the troublemaker goes to his crate and we confiscate the toy.

But that’s not how it went down that particular Christmas Day.

When it was time to open the much anticipated presents, Mark and I settled onto the couch, a pug nestled in each lap, the giant Stocking of Plenty spanning the tiny distance between us. Can you count the high-value resources mentioned in that last sentence? I see four, with the stocking ready to explode into twenty-four.

With the benevolent gift-giver looking on, we urged Chaz and Newt to open their present. No encouragement needed. They tore into that stocking like lions on a fresh kill.

The contents were everything they’d imagined. Look, a squeaky squirrel! Tasty snacks! A rawhide bone! A ball! A fuzzy frog! Another ball, with a bell inside…!

Basking in the adorableness of the moment I neglected to notice that Chaz and Newt’s excitement was escalating. I failed to observe that Chaz’s body was doing little “freezes” when Newt pulled an item from the stocking. I didn’t see Chaz shooting hard looks, whites of his eyes showing, at brother Newt. I didn’t catch that Chaz was morphing into Pugzilla.

Oh, the squishy-faced, blubbery fury of it all. Pug mythology claims the word “pug” means “face like a fist” and those face-fists were a flyin’.

Mark and I immediately followed Dogfight-in-Your-Lap protocol by standing up and dumping both warriors, along with their trophy, on the floor. The fight only intensified and moved under the coffee table where the sounds of enraged snarly snorters sent visions of lacerations and popped-out eyeballs dancing through my head.

Mark grabbed Newt by the back legs, I did the same with Chaz and we pulled the combatants apart.

The housemate side-by-side-down-stay is a terrific way to settle disputes or to calm dogs after wild play. It is a gentle reminder that you, dear owner, are their benevolent CEO.

Once separated, the festivities screeched to a halt while the pugilists performed Phase Two of Dogfight protocol – the five minute, side-by-side down-stay.

This is where early training really pays off. When you ask your dog to lie down and stay, he adopts a passive position without force. Despite what you’ve seen on TV, alpha rolls and punishment after a fight only increases acrimony and the very real possibility that you’ll be bitten.  The five minute down-stay allows dogs to do something they’ve historically been praised for and gives everyone a chance to catch their breath.

That morning I stood in front of the pugs with arms crossed in quiet authority. Soon, they relaxed and forgot the fight. Peace and glad tidings for all.

We do Christmas differently now. Each dog receives one present to be unwrapped several feet from the others, creating a peaceful defensible space. If things get wonky, one of us can easily step between the dogs to deflect those quick freezes and sideways glances before they become “locked and loaded.”

The gifts are non-consumable and fun, but not knock-your-socks-off incredible. Each dog must keep his own present. No gift swapping or stealing allowed.

As for the Plastic Stocking of Plenty, the next day it was re-gifted to the local shelter for less fortunate dogs to enjoy.

The moral of the story?  Harmony equals neutrality and management. I set my pugs up to fail by allowing them to obsess for two hours under the tree, elevating them to the couch, wedging them between two favorite people, and then encouraging them to compete over an amazing gift.

I say, let’s blame the whole thing on Norman Rockwell.

This “Best-of” article was originally published December 11, 2013.

Carla Jackson
Carla Jackson is a professional pet dog trainer and owner of Jackson Ranch for Dogs, a kennel-free boarding and training facility. She specializes in private training, behavior consultations, puppy socialization and day training. You can find Jackson Ranch on Facebook, visit the Jackson Ranch website, or call (530)365-3800.

1. Avatar Patricia Bay says:

Great article, Carla! Well written, funny and most importantly, valuable information! I’m looking forward to you sharing more of your knowledge and great writing style.

2. Avatar Karen C says:

Just like kids our fur friends. Must have discipline all the time, to remind them of their place in our lives. Now, I would just like to know how to train my husband that it is not OK for our dog to jump up on him when I have (had) her trained to not jump up on anyone. He just does not get it. Laughs at me when I ask him to PLEASE not allow that. I tell him facts that even a 13 lb. dog can knock over a child, elderly person, unsuspecting adult, and cause much harm….nope, he does not get it.

• Avatar K. Beck says:

I absolutely HATE it when I go to someone’s house and their dog jumps on me, no matter what size of dog. Tell that to your husband!

Thanks.

• Avatar conservative says:

If a couple cannot agree on house rules for pets, what else do they disagree about? Sounds like you married an unreasonable person.

My ex-wife and I should never have married. There were plenty of warning signs from the very beginning I should not have overlooked.

3. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

Carla, I know this article covered a serious issue, but you had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

” I didn’t see Chaz shooting hard looks, whites of his eyes showing, at brother Newt. I didn’t catch that Chaz was morphing into Pugzilla.

Suddenly, the gnarlyist pug fight in the history of pugs erupted in our laps. Norman Rockwell turned cage match.”

I have had my hand sewed up after a dog fight….about food. Dogs will always be dogs and understanding dog behavior and instincts are important to avoid injury and maintain peace. Thank you Carla!

4. Avatar name says:

In your experience, are most dog fights between the tiny dogs (shorter than your leg from the knee down), or regular-sized dogs (such as a Labrador, or border collie)?

From what I have seen, the small & tiny dogs are much more aggressive toward humans – highly likely to bite your ankle (as opposed to the lab-sized dogs).

• Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

The dog that tried to bite off my hand was a malamute.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Joanne — Sled dogs are snappy. Many canine taxonomists regard them as “primitive dogs,” meaning that they retain many characteristics of the wolves from which all domestic dogs are descended.

• Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

Thanks Steve, I’ve been using the wrong terms to describe dog breeds that haven’t been altered a lot by breeding programs. “Closer to the wolf”.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Chihuahuas and other small dogs are aggressive, but who’s afraid of them?

Just day or two ago a young woman back east was mauled to death by her own two pit bulls that she was taking for a walk. I’m speculating they started fighting each other and when she tried to break it up, they turned on her.

When I was a kid in Colorado, a neighbor hit her head and open up a gash on her forehead. It was speculated that the blood dripping on her floor set her pit bulls off—they killed her and over the course of a day ate a good portion of her corpse. They had to be shot in order to recover what was left.

In between those two events separated by decades, there are hundreds of such stories. This year alone, 10 fatal dog attacks in the United States—all involving pit bulls.

The vast majority of pit bulls can go their whole lives being good family dogs, but they’re bred to be aggressive fighting/killing machines. If you have one and something triggers it, you or your kids can die. You don’t read stories about the family’s aggro little fox terror or bid goofy lab retriever mauling and killing one of the kids.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

I often let our chickens out to roam during the last hour of daylight. I’ve had to fend off dogs chasing them three times. Two of the times, lab crosses (I think) were involved, and when commands didn’t work, a swift kick had them running for the hills.

One of the times, though, involved an intact male pit bull. He’d visited a few times before while the chickens were contained, and he was sweet, but seeing the chickens was a trigger, to say the least. Commands didn’t work–although they had when he’d visited previously–so I kicked him in the abdomen hard enough to lift him off of the ground. Didn’t phase him in the least. The hen had run into a brush pile, and the male kept inching closer to her. I really didn’t want to shoot the dog, so I ran into the house to retrieve a baseball bat. That did it: when the pit saw me running at him with a bat, screaming like a air raid siren, he booked out.

That was sobering.

5. Avatar Karen C says:

I guess after 55 years of a successful marriage, and now my true love is an Alzheimers patient, there are some things which will not be perfect. We deal as best we can. Our Havanese girl provides great comfort every day.

6. Avatar cheyenne says:

“They Always Kill Their Masters”. Great movie but, spoiler alert, the Dobies didn’t do it.