Solar Eclipse Shown in 60-Second Time-Lapse Video Created by Redding Science Teacher

Perhaps you were lucky enough, as I was, to attend a solar eclipse gathering, complete with special glasses that allowed everyone to observe the annular event without frying one’s eyeballs. I got to see the “ring of fire” when the moon crept slowly to the sun’s center –  like a black dime set on a neon-0range quarter – where it blocked the middle light, and left only a red-hot glow. The pivotal moment left a thin, glow-in-the-dark bracelet with a velvet-black center.

But if you missed the show, or even if you did see it with your own – protected – eyes, anewscafe.com is proud to present this morning-after video of the solar eclipse created by Cory Poole , a 33-year-old math and science teacher at University Preparatory School in Redding California.

How did he do that? Redding photographer and science teacher Cory Poole made this 60-second time-lapse video from 700 individual frames shot through a Coronado Solar Max 60 Double Stacked Hydrogen Alpha Solar Telescope.

Poole shot the photos in Redding, California. He used a telescope filter that allows viewing of the chromosphere, a layer that contains solar prominences and is much less bright than the photoshere beneath it. The filter only allows light that is created when hydrogen atoms go from the second excited state to the first excited state.

As Poole continues processing and uploading more photos, the pictures can be seen in the next few days on Poole’s website, www.corypoole.com.  Thank you for sharing, Cory!

Readers, did you see the solar eclipse? What were your impressions?

Independent online journalist Doni Chamberlain founded what’s now known as anewscafe.com in 2007 with her son, Joe Domke of the Czech Republic. Prior to 2007 Chamberlain was an award-winning newspaper opinion columnist, feature and food writer recognized by the Associated Press, the California Newspaper Publishers Association and E.W. Scripps. She lives in Redding, CA.

Doni Chamberlain

1. Avatar Canda says:

This was really cool to view. We didn't have any special glasses, so thank you for this video.

2. Avatar AJ says:

Went to a hill top west of Redding with several friends. In all about 20 or 30 people showed up. Some had their own glasses. My group had one pair that we shared and since it was a rather slow moving event ( more than a half hour) there was plenty of time of each of us to take several looks. WHAT FUN!!

However, as we observed among ourselves. there was no advantage in going to a hill top (only symbolically). Could have had the same view from most any parking lot in town. Unlike a lunar eclipse where you want to get away from ambient lighting. But what we did was way more fun. Kinda made me think we were all paying tribute to one of our Earthling Sun worshiping tribes . . . except the only virgin we sacrificed was an unopened bag of chips!!

3. Avatar pmarshall says:

Thanks, Doni, I enjoyed seeing the eclipse. Didn't have glasses. Just noticed the somewhat darkness outside, sort of like a passing cloud. Interesting.

4. Avatar Jim Pope says:

Doni,

A great story with video. I was riding my bicycle at the time, with my back to the sun. It appeared that whether I was moving or stopped, there was about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch aura or radiance around my whole shadow. I checked my shadow today and it doesn't have it? Interesting!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Jim P.

5. Avatar Lauren Houchin says:

I wish I had been in Redding to see the solar eclipse. Doni, thanks for posting the video. Very cool!

6. Avatar Lynn Casella says:

A wonderful natural phenomenon….but not necessarily one that predicts the world's end…just a scientific event, though many ancient peoples believed that as do some overzealous religious believers do today.

7. Avatar Ginny says:

Thanks for the VIEW of nature at its best.

8. Thanks Doni! That was well done, awesome, beautiful! We didn't have that view from 600 miles south of there! My granddaughter loved it as well!

Cheers!

9. Avatar Sally says:

An alumnus from the college my son attended, alerted the alumnae to come to Redding for the event. My son reserved the pavillion at Lake Redding Park. How perfect – shade, tables , barbeque and grass and the river! The leader was from Carson City and the attendees included ones from Arizona, Washington, Eureka, Southern California and all ages. A substantial supply of glasses were provided. Great time for all!