Just Sayin’: Redding is Juuust Right

Redding is juuust right.

That may be so, but I’m supposing I ought to define “just right” – for what.

In my not-so-humble opinion (the one that, along with two or three bucks, will buy you a cup of coffee) Redding is just right for a lot of things.

Surely, you must think, she doesn’t mean the weather. Well, yes I do. The weather, among several other things.

What about the cold and rain in the winter, you ask. OK, what about it? Have you ever spent a winter in Chicago? Or any place in the upper mid-West, for that matter? I have. Having been born and raised in California, my family and I went to live in central Illinois to finish up my husband’s and my college. That winter it dropped to below zero – zero, folks, not freezing. It was the week before Christmas and it never got above zero for three weeks. Now, that’s just a cruel joke to play on someone from California. No, wait, that’s a cruel joke to play on anyone.

Then how about our infamous summer heat? Oh, I know it gets up in the triple digits, but at least you can breathe. Have you ever experienced 85 degrees at 98 percent humidity? You need a snorkel to breathe. Honest. You can’t dry off when you get out of the shower because by the time you dry your feet, your head is wet again. And any clothes you put on become a plaster layer on your body.

Nope, I give you Redding’s weather as just right.

Well, then, you ask; you can’t mean the size. I mean, Redding is just a small hick town with traffic problems. Nope, I mean Redding is just the right size. It’s big enough that everybody and their brother isn’t gossiping about you. OK, a couple of the sisters may gossip, but there’s not the whole-town gossip hot line as there might be in a town smaller than Redding.

But it is small enough that the folks at the bank where I’ve traded for the last 30 years know me by name. After all, I’ve had some of their kids in school. And it’s small enough that from time to time the people at any given checkout counter will know me. Sometimes I worry that if it is someone I flunked in school they might add five bucks to the bill. And most any store I go into I’ll probably run into one or two folks who I know; or who know me.

See, I still believe that Redding is juuust right.

Well, then let’s talk about our geography. Sure, it sits at the north end of the Central Valley, which turns us into a heat pump in the summer. But you can always find a lake or a river in which to cool off.  And we’re only four hours from Reno or the Bay Area if you crave something more glittering. And we’re right on I-5 so we’re equidistant from say, L.A. or Seattle, or Sacramento and Medford, and it’s easy driving.

See, again, juuust right.

Then there are the seasons. You hear people who have come to California lament not living where they can enjoy the seasons. Obviously, those folks are talking about the southern half of the state. Here we have just the right amount of seasons. We have color in the fall; even more so if you want to drive a half hour up into the hills, but plenty just around town. And if it’s blossoms you crave in the spring, just take a drive to Chico, which will take you through the almond orchards, if you don’t suffer with hay fever.  And we may even get a dusting of snow from time to time, but it never lasts long enough to get irritating.

The only caveat I can offer is that I don’t want this piece to get out in the mainstream media because other folks just might find out about this place that is juuust right.

And then we wouldn’t be juuust right any more.

Adrienne Jacoby is a 40-plus-year resident of Shasta County and native-born Californian. She was a teacher of vocal music in the Enterprise Schools for 27 years and has been retired for 11 years.
A musician all her life, she was married to the late Bill Jacoby with whom she formed a locally well -known musical group who prided themselves in playing for weddings, wakes, riots, bar mitzvas and super market openings. And, oh yes . . . she has two children, J’Anna and Jayson.

A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Chamberlain, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.

Adrienne Jacoby
Adrienne Jacoby is a 40-plus-year resident of Shasta County and native-born Californian. She was a teacher of vocal music in the Enterprise Schools for 27 years and has been retired for 11 years. A musician all her life, she was married to the late Bill Jacoby with whom she formed a locally well -known musical group who prided themselves in playing for weddings, wakes, riots, bar mitzvas and super market openings. And, oh yes … she has two children, J’Anna and Jayson.

1. After living all ours lives in huge metro areas (LA and the Bay Area) we discovered this place 16 years ago and I agree: It's wonderful. Something I appreciate most about this area is that one person can make a big difference here. Love that.

2. Avatar Mary says:

Well, I totally agree. I've lived a lot of places and this is the best. I would add that the wonderful people who live in our community make it really really juuust right!

3. Avatar Mike Ferrier says:

You can keep on expanding the examples to no end. Entertainment, we get big names in reasonable sized venues. Local music is exceptional. Schools, most are exemplary and still have technology, music and sports. Government, we can have a personal impact and talk with our representative yet we are big enough to take on large projects. Shopping at the size of your choice. Very generous givers to good causes. Excellent services clubs. See how many you can add!

4. Avatar Sally says:

Oh AJ – coming from L.A. and San Francisco 46 years ago when Enterprise was not part of Redding and the word "culture" was never used, I was in shock. But, have a couple of children, know your neighbors, own a couple of businesses, enjoy the lakes and THE mountain, introduction of a superior orchestra, dance company, multiple live theatre groups and BINGO! mix with giving wonderful people and you have juuust right! Hallelujah!!

5. Quite a few years back when my sons were attending junior high and high school it was a bit tough to find good work….but it was still just right because our sons excelled due to the fine teachers like Adrienne Jacoby. Two of my sons won wonderful scholarships to Chapman University in no small part to her music program! While my wife and I are in Folsom now and Tod, my oldest son is a doctor of music at UNLV, we will be back on a regular basis to use a houseboat we just acquired on Shasta! Great place to play!

• Avatar Adrienne Jacoby says:

Your two sons I count among some of the brightest lights in my career. thank you for sharing them with me even yet.

6. Avatar Larry J says:

I am a native Californian from the SF Bay area and have spent many times in SoCal, MO, FL and the NE., so I agree with all your comments about the weather. I had job offers in the LA, Denver, Kansas City and Silver Springs, Virgina areas and the weather and traffic were the main reasons I didn't take the jobs. Freezing rain, snow, humidity, etc are not great to have to live in year after year for months at a time.

I used to tell people how great Redding was to live in, but decided to quit that because I didn't want to spoil at good thing.

7. Avatar Juanita Echelbarger says:

Adrienne, I love your picture. You look a lot like your beautiful Mom. You hosted Wylie and me when we traveled through Redding on our way south for our annual reunion some time ago. We really liked your little town. It seemed juuust right! ! !

8. Avatar Claudia says:

I do love Redding…and even more now!

More culture activities, entertainment and

diversity has greatly improved the area

since I arrived in 1974.

9. Avatar Diane Knapik says:

You are right on! We moved here right off a military base, 43 years ago. The smell of the pines and the view of Mt. Lassen, from Benton Field, completely drew me in. Who cared if it was 110 degrees, I loved it. My husband and I flew home, put our house up for sale, loaded up all our belongings and 5 kids and moved to God's Country. The summers are pretty miserable at times, but that is a good thing. That's the only thing keeping our area "just right". With cooler summers would come thousands of people, turning our intimate community into San Jose.

10. Avatar Canda Williams says:

When I moved down to San Diego in 1997, I was quoted as saying, "Redding is boring, and maybe I'll move back here when I'm in my 90's." Well, I'm eating my words. Being back in Redding after 10 years down south feels like home. It's funny what a little perspective will do. I find Redding anything but boring, and I'm still 30 years from being in my 90's. As much as I enjoyed beautiful San Diego, I don't miss the traffic, love experiencing seasons again, and to be near our kids and grandkids is pure heaven. There's no place like home, and Redding is the best home I've ever had. I regret my harsh words in'97 when I felt like I just needed to get out of Dodge. Change is good, but home is better. Yep, Adrienne, juuust right!

• Avatar Adrienne Jacoby says:

Confession is good for the soul, Canda! LOL!! we're glad you're back, even if we don't qualify as your grandchildren.

11. Avatar Stan says:

I got transferred to Redding in 1984, but I volunteered. The gangs were getting pretty bad where we came from. We wanted our kids to be safe and have fun. Redding was great for that and they made lifetime friends here. Initially, I thought the area was a culturally deficient, but it has really grown in the past 25 years. We have truly found our little niche here and are having great fun making our amateur music with AJ and so many other nice and wonderful folks. We just got back from a 2 week cruise and are so happy to be back. The grass is always greener as the old cliche' goes, but just visit some big cities and 3rd world countries and you'll discover that Redding is lookin' pretty good.

12. Avatar Budd Hodges says:

A.J. Would you consider a job with the Chamber or the Shasta Cascade Wonderland Assoc? Ha…I love B.B. Redding's old town too and alway's have for many years!

13. Avatar Linda Masterson says:

This is juuust a great article! I moved to Redding from Seattle via Sacramento and I'll be forever thankful. Not only have I discovered a warm (no pun intended) giving community with a continually growing list of fun and enriching activities, a physical beauty to be envied by others who don't live here, the best group of friends ever, and to my great good fortune, I married a wonderful local man with roots here for several generations. A little heat in the summer? No big deal-I grow vegetables. Rain in the winter? I lived in Seattle 25 years!

14. Avatar Sandy Tincher says:

Thank you for the great article. I totally agree. I LOVE our area. I have lived up and down the state and I don't want to go south of Redding. We have a beautiful area. I am an artist and can always find wonderful scenery for my landscape paintings. But, please the rest of the state stay where you are. We don't need to keep growing.

15. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyde says:

What a great article! You've reminded me of many reasons why I'm glad I came to Redding 32 years ago. I had only been in town a couple of days when I noticed how friendly people are here compared to other towns. All I had when I got here was what I could pack in my car, but with perseverance and hard work, I've made a real home in this area. (All of the new trails for biking and hiking, and the cultural and artistic growth only make a great town greater.)

16. Avatar Patty Mullett says:

Yep, Redding IS just right in so many ways.

Hmm, the sisters gossiping. Anybody I know?

• Avatar Adrienne Jacoby says:

Maybe a few that frequented the teacher's room . . . or that attend the North State Symphony League. . .

17. Avatar Juanita Kinyon says:

I have been coming to/through your town since I was a young girl and I agree with the others, Redding has grown up and dressed up very nicely over the years. It traded its "industrial" look of 40 years ago for trees, charm and personality.

I seem to have lost track of an old friend from San Diego, though. An elderly gent named George Ford moved to Morning Glory Lane, Redding, around 15 to 20 years ago. If anybody knows what has become of him, I sure would appreciate any information. AJ has my email address.

18. Avatar Cindy says:

I LOVE REDDING!!! My husband is BORN and raised here and LOVES IT!!! Great recreations at Go-Bob's SeaDoo Rentals and Silverthorn Resort!!! Great article, AJ!

19. Avatar George Parker says:

I grew up outside Chicago, and, yeah, winters here are pretty mild! Redding really IS close to perfect!

20. Avatar Michelle says:

Sometimes a little perspective is all we need. We hosted a Finish exchange student and the day before she left she asked for us to take her out so she could take pictures of the "golden hills." That is why it is called the Golden State, isn't it? Since then, on hot summer days I look upon our hills and think of them not as dead grass, but the "golden hills." I might also add, that when I return from the treeless Oregon high desert, I marvel at our beautiful oak trees. You don't appreciate their stately beauty, until you live where there are no trees.

• Avatar AJ says:

I always thought that the hills look like cut velvet. The color depends on which bolt of cloth you buy. I've also thought, over the years, that California is referred to as "theGolden State" because it's only green ten minutes a year. Refer back to the humidity paragraph. I'd rather have the gold hills and be able to breathe!!LOL!

21. Avatar KarenC says:

We've been in Redding almost 48 years and love it. Summers are a challenge, but we just go to the coast for a few days or up to OR. It was a great place to raise our children. It has become more beautiful through the years with the addition of all sorts of lovely, and colorful trees. What a lovely Fall season we have …..the colors are awesome.

22. Avatar John F says:

While I don't live there, you've reminded me of many of the reasons I love Redding when I visit. Plus you, of course!

Great article! Keep 'em coming!

23. Avatar Scott Joss says:

Adribunny, Once again, spot on in all observations about "our little town"…but, if you persist on touting it's "wonder-fullness" I will be required to come to your house, stand at your frontroom window and play Sally Gooden, continuosly until one of us loses what's left of a mind! I miss Redding '74! But thats just me…! By the way, speaking of "our little town"…go to itunes, look up Blaze Foley and buy the tune called "Our Little Town"…it makes me think of what was left behind when some of has has to move on….listen, you'll hear what I'm thinking of…and don't forget The Sidemen are at Bernies Feb. 10. I love you always…

• Avatar Adrienne Jacoby says:

Scotty . . . I am so bummed that I will be in Modesto seeing Megan do a show with Pam Tillis and Lori Morgan. Have had those tickets for three months. Look at my response to the piece about the concert.

And here's green signs lookin' at you, kid!!