Erin Friedman’s Texas Sheet Cake

texas-sheet-cake

I was so excited when I read Erin Friedman’s blog here on anewscafe.com a while back and saw this mention of Texas Sheet Cake, which is one of my favorites that I’ve not baked in years. It’s about as easy as a cake gets to prepare, and it’s delicious.

Texas Sheet Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons milk
4 cups confectioners’ sugar

Sift together and set aside in large bowl the flour and sugar.
In saucepan over medium heat bring to a boil: 1/2 cup margarine or butter, 1/2 cup shortening, 1 cup water, and 4 tablespoons cocoa.
Pour cocoa mixture over flour and sugar mixture. Stir in buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix well and pour into a greased and floured sheet pan.
Bake in a preheated 400 degrees oven for 20 minutes.

To Make Frosting: Five minutes before cake is done, bring to boil in a saucepan 1/2 cup margarine or butter, 6 tablespoons milk, and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Remove from heat and immediately stir in the confectioners’ sugar, nuts (if desired), and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and immediately pour frosting over cake. Serve dessert warm or at room temperature.

Recipe courtesy of Allrecipes.com

Doni Chamberlain

1. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

Thanks, Doni. It's one of my favorites, too.

2. Avatar Mowda says:

Sounds delicious! Mind helping me with my questions? What are the dimensions of a "sheet pan" and how does a sheet pan differ from, say, a pyrex glass pan I use for baking brownies, etc.?

• Avatar Erin Friedman says:

A sheet pan is more commonly called a jelly roll pan – they are metal. Usually between 10-12 inches wide, 15-17 inches long and only an inch deep – it looks like a cookie sheet with four sides on it. It makes a very short cake – but that means you get more frosting per square inch ;-). Enjoy!

• Avatar Karen Whittaker says:

Thanks for the info on a sheet pan… I had the same question!

I can't wait to make this! Yum! I will print the recipe now and begin!

I will send this to my hubbies work in the morn! I don't think they will miss

"my" corner, that will be missing!

3. Avatar Philbert says:

I'll help you "dispose" of any you may have around…

4. Avatar Canda says:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never made a cake from scratch, but this recipe looks like one I can handle. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing.

• Avatar Karen Whittaker says:

Canda,

It is easy and delicious!!! I made it last night! I happened to add some fresh orange zest, and a little juice from a hand picked orange to the frosting, and because I was short on cocoa for the frosting, I blended in about 1/2 cup melted milk chocolate!!! Um-m-m, turned out wonderful!

Thanks Doni and Erin for the recipe!

5. Avatar Adrienne jacoby says:

I've been meaning to hook up with the anewscafe for about a year now , ever since my friend, Joanne snyder told me about it. . . well, we all know the road to hell is paved with good intentions. At this point in my life, that roadl is a superhighway!!! . . . six lane, divided, I think.
    I have so much respect for writers and for my money (O.K., I'm broke) Redding as some of the most worthwhile reading in the country, maybe even his hemisphere. I always looked forward to any by-line these writers filed in the paper. Whatever shred of respect I had for that tome certainly departed in a hurry with the demise of any readable, worthwhile contributers.. So, aewscafe, along with Enjoy Magazine make me very proud of Redding. Proud of our people. and give me great faith in our people and our future.
    Yea, anewscafe!!!!!

6. Avatar Adrienne jacoby says:

P,S. That cake certainly looks delicious . . . is that WeightWatcher friendly? Hmmmm, didn't think so. LOL!!