One of Anderson’s biggest events of the year occurs this Saturday night: The 40th annual Crab Feed by the Anderson Rotary Club.
The all-you-can-eat crab dinner starts at 7 p.m. at the Shasta District Fairgrounds (doors open at 6). Along with crab, homemade chowder, bread, salad and all the fixings, the dinner will include live music and prizes.
Members of the Anderson Rotary Club bring the crab fresh from the docks in Crescent City. The clam/fish chowder takes seven hours to prepare.
Tickets are $35 each, and are available from any member of the Anderson Rotary Club. Or, call 515-9435 or 365-2797. Profits go to scholarships and other good works.
- Did you hear that Movies 10 in Redding will be remodeled and expanded? Cinemark officials say four new theaters will be added to the complex. KRCR-TV has more here.
- Movies We’ve Seen: Kel and I went to a school-day matinee of “Avatar,” and had a good time. The special effects are incredible, and the story’s not bad. We saw James Cameron’s blockbuster at a theater that didn’t have 3-D, so we’re already planning to see it again with the full 3-D treatment. Maybe at an IMAX theater. On mushrooms.
- Hubris, Thy Name is Palin: Just when you thought you’d heard it all, now comes the news that former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s daughter, Bristol, has started her own “lobbying, public relations and political consulting” firm. Wait, it gets better. The 19-year-old single mom’s first client? The pro-abstinence Candie’s Foundation. Gawker’s got more here.
- Sports: Legendary pitcher Randy Johnson has retired at the age of 46. The five-time Cy Young Award winner finished his long career at San Francisco. Full story here.
- Rules for Successful Living #10: If you walk in circles long enough, you’ll end up with a limp.
Tips appreciated: Send news tidbits to firstname.lastname@example.org.