Jaimie Chamberlain-Lord Remembered for Beauty, Kindness

Jaimie Maileilani Chamberlain-Lord, formerly of Redding, died in Glendale, California, on Dec. 12, 2014, after a short illness. She was 57.

Jaimie was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Oct. 28, 1957. She was Donald and Claudia Chamberlain’s third daughter.

She grew up in Redding and attended Pine Street Elementary School, Magnolia Elementary School, Cypress Elementary School and Sequoia Junior High School.

A 1975 graduate of Shasta High School, Jaimie was involved in the drama club, cheerleading, student government and was voted Homecoming Queen, escorted by Homecoming King Bob Lord, who she later married.

As a little girl so slender she was given the nickname “string bean,” Jaimie loved all animals, but especially horses. She was most at home in nature. She had a green thumb and loved to tend to her plants.

At 18 she set out on her own, rented a tiny house and supported herself by working in admissions at then-Memorial Hospital in Redding. By her 30s, Jaimie had founded an advertising agency and earned her pilot and real estate licenses.

The essence of Jaimie was beauty, humor, sensitivity and kindness. A blue-eyed, blond-haired beauty who turned heads wherever she went, she was naturally stylish and graceful, but also a bright, compassionate, tender soul. She was especially concerned about standing up for the downtrodden, and helping the less-fortunate. She had a contagious laugh and wonderful sense of humor. She was athletic, loyal and fearless.

Cool and collected under pressure, whether it was preparing a meal for scores of people, or being the voice of reason in a disaster, Jaimie was an emergency room technician in Redding, as well as a certified chaplain at hospitals in Redding and Reno.

She is survived by sons Steven Goedert of Ronan, Montana; Christopher Chamberlain-Nonan of Reno, two grandsons and a granddaughter; sisters Doni Chamberlain and Shelly Shively, both of Redding; Bethany Chamberlain of San Francisco, three cousins, and many nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by husband Bob Lord, parents Donald and Claudia Chamberlain, and brother Michael Beardsell.

A private family celebration of life will be held in Jaimie’s honor at a later date.

Doni Chamberlain
Independent online journalist Doni Chamberlain founded what’s now known as anewscafe.com in 2007 with her son, Joe Domke. Chamberlain is an award-winning newspaper opinion columnist, feature and food writer recognized by the Associated Press, the California Newspaper Publishers Association and E.W. Scripps. She lives in Redding, California.

1. Avatar Eleanor says:

Oh, Doni, I am so sorry for this loss for you and Shelly. Such an amazing sister, and so young! The loss of a sibling is a terrible thing. Love and thoughts. Eleanor

2. Avatar Ginny says:

God bless you and Shelly at this time.

3. Avatar Hal Johnson says:

So sorry for your loss, Doni. For most of us, our relationships with our siblings will be the longest in our lives. I think that fact puts a different stamp on grief.

4. Avatar Sherri Batie says:

My sisters and I were so very sorry to read about Jaimie’s passing. Our thoughts are with her loving sisters. No words can provide comfort, but know that many care. Prayers to all of you.

5. Avatar Rita Simpson says:

Sorry to hear about your sister Doni. I once lived next door to Bob Lord. I was so excited for them when they found each other again, only for it to end to tragically.
    I have four sisters and to lose one of them would be so devastating. May grace, love and comfort be with you today.

6. Avatar Doreen O. says:

My condolences, Doni. I know what it is like to lose a sister & it’s not fun. Keep going & do things in such a way that would have made her smile.

7. Avatar Rick Prather says:

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Shelly… I love you both.

8. Avatar Viki Twyman says:

I am so very sorry for your loss Doni.

9. Avatar EasternCounty says:

You and Shelly are in my thoughts. Heartfelt condolences to you both.

10. Avatar Wilma says:

Doni & Shelly, my deepest sympathy at the loss of your sister. The loss of a sibling is so very hard. You both are in my thoughts.
    Wilma Geroy (Crowe)

11. Avatar Mark Neal says:

I’m so very sorry to hear about this. I was thinking of her this week driving past the old home on Shasta Street. We attended many years of school together, starting in third grade. She will be missed.

12. AJacoby AJacoby says:

I understand.
    I send a heart of love, arms of warmth, and a garland of remembrances to both you and Shelly.

13. I was so sorry to learn of the death of my childhood friend Jaimie. I remember meeting her first at Pine Street school, and of course all the Chamberlain sisters at Shasta High. Jaimie was so clever and funny, and always very kind to everyone. Life has thrown some curve balls at your family, for sure, and I am glad that Jaimie found joy in her boys. Please relay to her sons my sincere sadness at the unexpected passing of their mother. Jaimie was a wonderful person. I know you will miss her every day. My best to Shelley and Bethany, too. Thank you for sharing, Doni; I know it must be terribly difficult.

I have an old photograph of you twins and Jaimie Christmas caroling with my Blue Birds troop–if I can download it I’ll forward it to you.

14. Avatar Carmen Shoffner says:

Doni,
    Thank you for this amazing article on beautiful Jaimie. We know that loosing someone you love and know so well is difficult and there are no words to make it any easier. But know that we are so sorry and feel your pain, loss and sadness. We pray for you Shelly and Bethany to be comforted and that God will grace you with His supernatural peace in this time of sadness. Lovingly,
    Carmen and Art

15. Avatar George T. Parker says:

My condolences, Doni. You all will be in our prayers in this time of grief.

16. Avatar E. Marta Andersen says:

Dear sweet Doni, my heartfelt condolences and sympathy to you and family at the loss of your sister. I pray you will find comfort and peace through family and friends during this time of sorrow.
    Marta

17. Avatar Sharon says:

Doni, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

18. Avatar Sam Allen says:

I am so sorry for your heartbreak . Prayers to you and your family.

19. Doni what beautiful words you used to describe Jaime.They were the words that I always remembered her as,kind,funny,strong,compassionate, and beautiful inside and out. She was one of my first friends at Magnolia,as life took us in different directions I always continued to think the world of her. It’s hard to think that she’s gone on before us,but I know that someday I’ll get to see her beautiful smile again. I ask for comfort and healing for your sister’s,yourself,and most of all Jaimie’s sons. I know that there are many of us that will feel like a part of ourselves have been taken with her. All my prayers go to your family at this time. Marilyn (Gard)Sargent

20. Avatar Darla Nicolet says:

Love and prayers for you with this loss of your baby sister. My heart breaks for you but we have a great hope and know, this life is temporary. <3 you.

21. A beautiful tribute! Sorry for your family’s loss!

22. Doni,

So sorry to hear of your wonderful sisters passing. May God bless you and your family during this difficult time.

23. Jamie was one of those people you meet and never forget. I was lucky enough to know her through Bob Lord. I remember the last time we met it was at my “10 year reunion” where we dined with Jamie and Bob. Jamie was the kind of person who left you with a lasting impression, and she was a true friend that I will never forget. Our prayers go out to you and your family members. They especially go out to Jamie whom I have a lot of good memories of. Again Doni I am sorry for your loss…Stephen & Marri

24. An irreplaceable loss..no words, just hugs..Love from Russ & Anne

25. Avatar Mandi Kestel says:

Sorry to you and the whole family Doni. Will always remember all of you while growing up. Prayers…. MANDI

26. Avatar Jan Gandy says:

In deepest sympathy,
    Love,
    Jan & Tom

27. Avatar Sandi Pasero says:

Doni and Family,

I am extremely sorry to hear of Jaimie’s passing and I am holding you all close in my heart and thoughts. It is so very difficult to lose a sibling and there are no words of condolence that will ease your pain. Instead, I would like to share my early memories of Jaimie with you.

I was fortunate enough to have been able to work with Jaimie at the advertising agency. It was the early days of our careers and together we landed a major regional account. We represented 26 offices in 13 cities throughout 6 states and were a very successful ad agency. She was 24 years old, I was 27.

She was the kind of woman who, when she entered a room, made every head turn and every breath take pause. She was an energetic, powerful woman who was intimidated by no one. She saw what she wanted and went after it with a vengence (and usually got it, I might ad).

Life isn’t always easy though and Jaimie faced some pretty tough challenges. She attempted to come through them with dignity and grace and for the most part she succeeded better than most of us would in her circumstances. I always admired Jaimie and was honestly hoping to one day, reconnect with her and reminisce over those days. I am sorry that day will never come.

I will hold my memories dear and keep each of you in my prayers during this difficult time.

Sandi

28. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

Big hug

29. Avatar Terry T says:

My deepest sympathies to you and your family in this painful loss. Biggest hugs, Terry

30. Avatar Chris Zwaga says:

What a shock ! So very sorry to hear of this sad loss. Jamie was one of the most beautiful people I had ever seen. I have spoken of her often over the past 30 years as she was in business in Redding with her advertising agency when I started in the early 1980’s. I remember her well and often think of her with envy. My sympathies to her family, I am sure she will be missed.

31. Avatar susan bird says:

My prayers and thoughts are with you all. I will always remember her great smile.

32. Avatar Kris Gazzigli says:

I’m so sorry to hear of Jaimie’s passing. She was my neighbor before she married Bob. Christopher and my son Brandon, were good friends who attended Bonny View School together. I often think of Jaimie and Christopher…..wondering how they were doing. They moved out of Redding when the boys we in 7 th grade. We haven’t heard from them since. I’m so sad to hear this news. May God bless her children and family. I’m sure her and Bob are dancing together again in heaven!