Matt’s Chats with Deb Segelitz

Over the years I’ve built a number of friendships entirely on the internet.  Either by chance or coincidence, I’ve stumbled across some fascinating, funny, talented, amazing people and while the relationships are virtual, the friendships aren’t.  Every day I am amazed at how cool it is to get to know someone on the other side of the world without ever so much as shaking hands.  The internet can be a place of faceless anonymity but sometimes real connections with real people can be made and I think it’s one of the best things about the internet.  Well, that and cat videos.

I’d like to introduce you to some of these people.  Please meet Deb Segelitz, my friend from Scotland, as she answers my completely professional and mature Ten Questions.

1) Who are you and what’s your deal?
I’m Deb Segelitz, or Deborah, but never, EVER Debbie!  I grew up in scenic  Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and now live in the even-more picturesque Scottish Highlands.  That was never in my plan, by the way, until it became the ONLY plan, executed successfully over a crazy year of relocation!  I blog and read and avoid gardening and cooking, and when I’m not doing or avoiding those things I’m restoring old British fountain pens and selling them on to new owners who I hope love them.

2) Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Melissa McCarthy.  You know, the woman who played ‘Sookie’ in ‘The Gilmore Girls’ (and probably heaps of other roles since then, but I’m pretty out of touch when it comes to TV and movies).  She’s round and cute and looks like someone who would be a fun friend to have.  I base that purely on her fantastic smile.  Plus, she’s way cuter than I am, and Hollywood is supposed to be true to life except with better looking main characters.

3) Everyone has some kind of a superpower.  What’s yours?
I can make it rain!  No lie.  It can be bright and sunny and breezy, and within five minutes of hanging the washing outside on the clothesline, it will begin to rain.  Matt, you know me well enough to know how often I complain about this on Facebook – you know it’s true!  That’s bad enough, but it’s when I bring it all back into the house only to see the sun shining ten minutes later that it gets just a little bit frustrating!  So as superpowers go, it’s not a great one.

4) What’s outside your window?
A very messy plumber’s yard with far too many toilets and pipes strewn about.  But beyond that is this hill… so, not really all that bad!  This hill is knock-your-eyes-out yellow for a few months out of each year, and the flowering bushes smell just like coconut suntan lotion.  So lovely!

5) If I came to visit, what local spot would you take me to?
It’s a pretty tiny village, and very quiet.  I could take you to our local heritage center and terrify you with the mannequins and stuffed dogs they have as part of their exhibits.  But because I like you, I would take you on a long ramble to see the ruins in the hills instead, ending up at our ‘famous’ local restaurant where you could dine in the company of a stuffed bear, a life-sized motorcycle cop statue and a headless, red-corsetted lady.

6) What’s some local gossip?
My husband is much better at the local stuff.  For example, he knows who everyone’s parents are… and who they THINK their parents are.  Apparently some of these old ladies had one or two ‘adventures’ during their childbearing years!

7) Where’s your favorite place to eat?
We don’t have a lot of places to choose from here in the village, but a cafe opened this year which I really like.  The owners are great and the food is more than just the usual cafe fare.  But my favorite restaurant in the world was a vegetarian place back home called Blue Sage.  I am a dedicated carnivore, but the chef there made things that made me forget all about meat!  Plus, they were around the corner from my apartment, and they did take-out.  I still dream about their menu.

8) Ginger or Mary Ann and why?
I used to be a Mary Ann girl all the way, but I think Ginger would be great for a wicked giggle, out and about.  I’m not sure Mary Ann would ‘get’ sarcasm, but I have no doubt that Ginger would!

9) You must grab one item from your desk to use in the zombie apocalypse.  What is it?
My desk is lacking in weaponry, since they frown upon that here in the UK, so my only choice would be to grab the fountain pen with the hardest nib so I could start stabbing zombie eyeballs.  In other words, I would be zombie food in pretty short order.

10) What’s the question you wish I had asked?
I wish you had asked me for next week’s big lottery number.  Because I know… but now I can’t tell you.  Should’ve asked!

Matt Grigsby was born and raised in Redding but has often felt he should have been born in Italy. By day he’s a computer analyst toiling for the public good and by night he searches airline websites for great travel deals. His interests include books, movies, prowling thrift shops for treasure and tricking his friends into cooking for him. One day he hopes to complete his quest in finding the best gelato shop in Italy.

Matt Grigsby
Matt Grigsby was born and raised in Redding but has often felt he should have been born in Italy. By day he's a computer analyst toiling for the public good and by night he searches airline websites for great travel deals. His interests include books, movies, prowling thrift shops for treasure and tricking his friends into cooking for him. One day he hopes to complete his quest in finding the best gelato shop in Italy.

1. Avatar Brian says:

Great Q & A! I love the style of “dispense with the formal questions and get to the questions that people really want to know the answers to”. I enjoyed reading about your virtual friend circle! Well done.

2. Avatar Shan says:

Loved it! And I always think that Melissa would be a good choice for me in a movie about my life. I totally enjoyed reading this artice. I look forward to the next one! Well done!

3. Avatar Debbie says:

I’m Deb or Debbie, but never Deborah. I take issue with her preference for our names
    but ber life is highly interesting! Deb is so realistically fascinating that she could not
    Be made up! She and Matt write so well that it fires my imagination. Wait, toilets strewn in her yard? Love the picture of her hill. The picture of her plumbers yard would be interesting too.

4. Avatar Shan says:

Very interesting! And the questions really are mature. Loved it!

jeff

5. Avatar Shelly Shively says:

Matt, I can tell that this new writing venture is a hit. How refreshing & real, to be a fly-on-the wall during a friendly chat between pals. I appreciate your un-stuffy & authentic Q&A style: casual , informative & funny…..I’m looking forward to your next piece(s)!

6. Avatar Ginny says:

Good read and enjoyable. Just wonder how a woman from PA got to Scotland.

7. Avatar Janet says:

Oh this is going to be fun, monthly visits with your creative imagination!

8. Avatar Kathleen says:

So much fun to read, what a wonderful lady! Love your writing, and how your humor shines through!!

9. Deb Deb says:

I just *knew* there would be a Debbie who took umbrage at that! I probably should have phrased that better 🙂 Sorry about that, Debbie. I know lots and lots of really lovely Debbies… it’s just not a name that fits me, that’s all. Plus it’s almost a guarantee that when I say to someone, “Hi, I’m Deb,” (or Deborah) they will chirp, “Hi Debbie!” at me. Er… did I SAY Debbie? So to you, Debbie, and all the other wonderful Debbies of the world, I solemnly swear to never call you ‘Deborah’, if you’ll never call me ‘Debbie’. 🙂

It was heaps of fun to be Matt’s first interviewee! Thanks Matt, for the good questions!

P.S. The toilets aren’t strewn in MY yard… they are in the plumber’s yard across the road.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

I’m Beverly. More often than not when asked my name and I reply “Beverly,” the response is “Debra Lee?”

• Deb Deb says:

Beverly, I’ve been called by your name a few times too, so it goes from ‘Deborah’ to ‘Beverly’ too! Maybe we should carry around Q-tips so people can clean out their ears. (My husband would disagree. I would say I mumble. Never!)

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

Deborah to Beverly is a real stretch! Q-Tips might help — or turning down the “background” music. When in a store that has “music” blaring, I’m at the point where I speak in a low voice while the clerk continues to say, “What?” After a few “what’s,” I suggest that the volume of the “music” be lowered. Doesn’t help but it makes me feel better.

10. Avatar Cathy A. says:

So entertaining and FUN!

11. Avatar Mary says:

What a great Q and A! I loved Matts questions. They were questions I’d like asked of more. People. :-). Loved Deb’s witty answers too. They both have a great sense of humor. Makes me want to visit the Scottish a Highlands! Hope to read more from both. Matt and Deb!

12. Avatar Dawn says:

Matt I loved this. You ask the best questions and the answers were good and very funny. I am looking forward to your next question and answer article.
    Well done!

13. Matt, I thank you for this feature (which you pitched a long time ago), and for your wonderful wit and imagination and for introducing us to your rich circle of worldwide friends.

And Deb! You are delightful! We are so happy to have you, all the way from Scotland, part of aNewsCafe.com.

Matt, I look forward to your monthly column and great questions. Deb, I look forward to getting to know you better.

Thank you, both!

14. Avatar Joanne Lobeski-Snyder says:

I loved this interview, and I was enthralled by Deb’s article. I have so many questions to ask, but I think I’ll wait to hear them answered in future articles before I get too nosy! I will be satisfied with a sheep grazing on the hills, what I know about the history of the Highlands, the town gossip, and old buildings that were so well built that they stand today and provide housing. What a treat. Thank you.

• Deb Deb says:

Thank you for the lovely comment, Joanne! Hopefully I’ll be answering your questions as time goes on, but if I miss anything, please ask!