Mistress of the Mix: Ring The Alarm

I don’t want to scare you, but I’m alarmed. Alarmed enough to share a few real life true crime horror stories with you. Don’t worry, there’s still a musical connection to today’s Mistress of the Mix. In fact, this playlist is a progressive story all on its own (that unfortunately seems to end too many times with “Catch & Release”).

A few weeks ago I went to a friend’s afternoon wedding. It was lovely. Two best friends who met over their mutual addiction affection for World of Warcraft, who now get to spend the rest of their lives together. If you’d seen the look on the groom’s face when he finally got to hold his bride’s hand after she walked up the aisle. The most adorable, infectious, ear to ear smile, like he’d just won the lottery. I wonder what kind of look he had on his face when he carried his wife across the threshold that evening, only to realize that while they were exchanging vows, someone had smashed through their front door and burglarized their home? Stolen were the bride’s clarinet, a library book (WTF?) several wedding gifts and the X-Box that ignited their love.

Another couple who attended that same wedding returned to their house to discover they had also been robbed. You may have heard about this burglary, because the victims had invested in a video surveillance system which caught two women in the act. The video shows them entering the yard, getting into an altercation with the dog, putting on rubber gloves, pulling off window screens, and climbing into the home, somehow not noticing the cameras trained directly on their faces. The victims posted the video on Facebook, got it on the tv news, and the next day at least one of the thieves was apprehended while trying to pawn some of the stolen jewelry. Meanwhile, the bride told me that she wasn’t the only person in the area who had her home broken into while saying her vows on the very same day. Brides are being targeted. Maybe through newspaper notices, maybe through bridal registries, maybe through Facebook.  We don’t know. What we do know is that people are getting so desperate that nothing’s off limits. You’re getting married? We know where you’ll be for a few hours! A loved one has passed and you attend the funeral to say your last goodbyes? Thanks for leaving the house, don’t come back too soon! You’re a tax paying, contributing member of society who goes to work every day and leaves your house completely unattended? SUCKA!

So what are ya gonna do? Not go to work? Not attend functions? Not let anyone know that you’re getting married? Not have a life?

I’ll tell you what I did after I discovered someone casing my house earlier this year – a woman who’s had her photo on Shasta Mugshots 14 times in the past year and a half for crimes like burglary, posession of burglary tools and lurking – I got the neighborhood together, and we started talking. We’ve got cameras. We’re picking up each other’s newspapers. We’re communicating and looking out for one another.

A couple of days ago I sat down with a couple of Redding cops, and asked them what’s the best thing we all can do to minimize our chances of being victimized, and it wasn’t hard at all for them to come up with a quick answer. They said the best deterrent, hands down, is an audible alarm system. If an intruder breaks a window or enters the home while an alarm system is hooked up, the police say the criminal will most likely spend less than a minute in the home looking for drugs, jewelry and cash or checks before taking off, instead of taking their time. Let me tell you what happens when they take their time.

Simpson University’s Cathy Giacomelli went shopping one Sunday afternoon, while the rest of the family was out doing family stuff. While they were out, a guy who’d already been arrested and released twice in the 48 hours prior entered their backyard, swam in their pool, fought with their dog, then went into the house where he snacked on some fruit, drank a beer, took a shower, dressed in Mr. Giacomelli’s clothing, grabbed his fishing license, and the keys to his company car, and took off. With the car. He took a few high speed laps around the neighborhood before the police apprehended him. He was sentenced to six years in prison, but was released after 3 months and returned to Redding.

None of this was a surprise to Dan Londen, sales manager for Precision Alarm. He agreed with everything the cops said, and added one item to the shopping list most thieves seem to have these days – weapons. He says besides having a working alarm system, keeping your valuables in a safe that’s bolted to the floor is the best way to keep your guns and valuables, well, safe. (Full disclosure: I’ve been a client of Precision Alarm for more than 10 years, and I like ’em).

I called Dan because I wanted to know what kind of investment you might be looking at to follow the advice of our city’s best experts in crime and punishment. He told me that there’s a few different ways to approach having an alarm. “Starter systems can be had for the low hundreds,” if you want to buy your own, says Londen. Monitoring the system will cost less than a dollar a day, about $25/month. You can also lease a system through an alarm company, which basically spreads the cost of the system across the monthly monitoring fee, starting at about $40/month.

The good news is that if you invest in some type of alarm system, you can save on your monthly home insurance premium. I called my friend and Farmer’s Insurance agent Sal Azevedo to ask him how much it would save. He said between 5-10%, more if the alarm is directly monitored by not only an alarm company, but the fire department as well. Sal also had a few more great tips for homeowners to protect themselves against burglary. “Most burglars aren’t smart enough to drive to Chico, but they’re not selling your tv at the flea market, they’ll take it down to the pawn shop. So keep an inventory. Take digital pictures of your valuables, and store them online or on a cd. And write down serial numbers.” Sal says if you do this, there’s a good chance you’ll get your stuff back. “And get to know your neighbors. Make sure you all have each other’s cell phone numbers so you can watch out for each other and get in touch.”

Which reminds me of another story. Some very good friends of mine in Seattle went to work one day, and came back home to find that their house had been completely emptied out. I’m not exaggerating. Somebody backed a moving van into their driveway, and removed everything from their home. TVs, stereos, furniture, clothing. Everything. The neighbors saw the whole thing go down, and just assumed the family was moving. Nobody called the police.

Well, today I’m ringing the alarm. I just hate to see my friends violated, and I hate the thought that there are people out there making it their mission to try to destroy what’s supposed to be the happiest day of a couple’s life together, although getting your home broken into is a violation that would ruin anybody’s day. And I hope it never happens to you. This playlist is for you Kandis & Steven, Abby & Robby, Mike & Delynda and the Giacomelli’s.

1. Ring The Alarm – Beyonce
  38. Behind Bars – The Jayhawks
  39. Chain Gang – Sam Cooke
  40. Chain Gang – The Pretenders
  41. Probation – Buju Banton
  42. On Parole – Motorhead
  43. I’ve Changed – Chuck Berry

Valerie Ing-Miller has been the Northern California Program Coordinator for Jefferson Public Radio in Redding for nine years and can often be found serving as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Cascade Theatre. For her, ultimate satisfaction comes from a perfect segue. She’s the mother of a teenage daughter and a 7-year-old West Highland Terrier, and can’t imagine life without them or music. Valerie wakes up with a song in her head, she sings in the shower and at the top of her lungs in the car.

Valerie Ing
Valerie Ing has been the Northern California Program Coordinator for Jefferson Public Radio in Redding for 14 years and can often be found serving as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Cascade Theatre. For her, ultimate satisfaction comes from a perfect segue. She and her husband are parents to a couple of college students and a pair of West Highland Terriers, and Valerie can’t imagine life without them or music. The Mistress of the Mix wakes up every day with a song in her head, she sings in the shower and at the top of her lungs in the car.

1. Avatar CoachBob says:

"I Shot the Sheriff"

2. Avatar Kandis says:

Hi Val! Thank you for the playlist and for spreading the word. I've contacted a few of the wedding vendors that I used and have told them what happened, and suggested to them that they advise their brides to get a house sitter during their weddings. Hopefully the warning will be spread and it will prevent people from getting burglerized!

On a side note, World of Warcraft is on the computer (not the Xbox), so the Xbox didn't exactly ignite our love, but you were close enough. Only a true nerd like myself would notice that detail. 😉

Love you!

~Kandis

• Valerie Ing-Miller Valerie Ing-Miller says:

I was sort of assuming on the X-Box thing…but I really enjoyed telling people at a party last night that the 'instrument of your love' was stolen! Anything for a good story, right? It's kind of like at the George Thorogood concert last week….he pointed at this snakeskin print fabric around his head and said to me, "See this headband? Jimi Hendrix gave this to me." I said, "Reallllly?" And he said, "Naaaah. But it makes a great story!"

3. Avatar Sal says:

Val,

Just a few more pointers. Make sure there is clear visability of your home from the street. Over grown bushes and trees that could hide a break in are an invite to thieves.

A song that could have made the list "Blood Is Thicker Than Water" Wycliff Jean.

Thanks again.

Sal

4. Avatar Kandis says:

Haha oh Val you kill me 🙂

5. Avatar Sally says:

Saw your message on FB so had to come read the stories. I know someone who has a system that if there is movement at the front door when she's not home, the sound of a large dog barks and barks. She feels safer.

6. Avatar Bonnie says:

Valerie–

Thank you for drawing attention (in such a fun way -"just a spoonful of sugar"), to a REAL and growing need in our area! I appreciated the pointer Sal (above) made regarding cutting shrubs back to allow neighbors visablity. I have a few more tips that are fairly inexpensive and can be done on their own:

*Photocell lights are excellent for front porches, so that there is consistancy whether you are home or on vacation.

*Motion lights are ideal for the back and side of the home, as they can be an indicator of a possible issue

*Be in communication with neighbors directly across and kitty corner, as often they have a better view of what's happening in your yard than you-and visa versa. Make sure to exchange phone numbers to be able to communicate an issue.

*If on vacation, ask a neighbor to pick up news papers etc. that may collect around your mailbox and could be an indicator to a theif of your absence.

* Dowels are good in window and sliding door channels.

Of couse, as you stated, a security alarm is most ideal. Yard signs will be an excellent deterant. An exterior alarm is vitally important to alert the neighbors, but can be often overlooked or unavailble with some of the security design or equipment out there. I've had the prevalage of working in the security industry for the past 7 years–and am pleased to report there are some excellent solutions out there.

Thanks again!

Bonnie

7. Avatar pmarshall says:

Yes, people are desperate and will steal anything! I am thinking alarm system.

8. Tim Blake Nelson- I'm in the Jailhose Now

from "O Brother Where Art Thou?"

9. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyde says:

Valerie. You are amazing. This is an amazing article that should be published as a handbook that is handed to everyone in this area: home owner or renter. You could call it "Protect You and Your Property from Dishonorable Dolts." I've been the victim of thieves several times. My wallet was stolen the first week I moved to Redding. I always come back to the idea that I worked for that money (washing dishes, waitress, mill work) and the things I bought with that money and someone stole that time I spent working for that money.

10. Avatar Scott says:

How about "Catch & Release" by Silversun Pickups and "Beware! Criminal" by Incubus?

11. Scott – Originally I did have the Silversun Pickups song on the list! I actually whittled my original song list down quite a bit because there were so many songs with the same name…good suggestions!

12. By the way, there's an update to this story: it took a few weeks, but both perpetrators have finally been nabbed from their burglary caught on film. The first was captured within 48 hours of the robbery. The second skipped town for a few weeks, but I saw her face on Shasta Mugshots just yesterday. Good job law enforcement!!!

13. Hi Val,

I'm curious…do you know what the altercations with the dogs in the two videos were like? It appears they weren’t able to dissuade the thieves, which is very disheartening. I certainly hope these creeps aren’t adding dog abuse to their repertoires.

By the way, I look forward to Mistress of the Mix each week 🙂

• Valerie Ing-Miller Valerie Ing-Miller says:

The dog in the robbery which was caught on video behaved gallantly, chasing the burglar out of the back yard, where the dog was kept (behind a gate). You can see the dog barking and barking and barking, and looks like she nipped the leg of the burglar while chasing her. Then the burglar turned around and tried to reason with the dog(!!!!) but the dog kept barking, defending its territory, until the burglar gave up on the back yard and left that area, and the dog went back to minding its own business again once the invader left the back yard and went back to the side yard, which the dog did not have access to (that's changed now, by the way…the dog has full run of the yard now from what its owner said). It's quite likely that the reason the burglars spent a very very limited time inside this home was due to the continuous barking of the dog, trying to alert the neighborhood that something was amiss. That's what my dog is like. He just keeps barking until whatever it is that's aggravating him is gone.

In the other robbery which involved a dog, the event was not caught on video, but the dog definitely tried to defend its territory because when the owner's returned home they found the dog's mouth bloodied from an altercation with the burglar.

14. Avatar adrienne jacoby says:

LOVE YOUR PLAYLISTS . . . . thanks. Also, thanks for the reminders about home safety.

15. Avatar Uncle E says:

Wow, the Dead Kennedys, Motorhead, the Clash, obscure Joe Jackson track: Gotta say, I'm very impressed! Great picks!

16. Valerie Ing-Miller Valerie Ing-Miller says:

I take that as high praise, Uncle E!!!

17. Avatar mikec says:

Great article Val!!! Monitored security systems are definately the way to go. Hey how about "Sound The Alarm" by Thievery Corporation.