Just Sayin’: Wait’ll I Get My Hat…

Of course I love to travel. I’m genetically programmed to love to travel. They used to say about my grandmother that you could say the word ‘go’ to her and her response always was, “Wait ‘til I get my hat . . . “ and only as an afterthought she would add, “Oh, where are we going?”  I think I’m probably cut from the same cloth.

A wonderful story about grandmother that took place when she was in her late 70’s: She was visiting friends in Longview, Texas.  Rather than take the train back to California (a four-day prospect) she was offered a passage  on the company airplane which would get her to her destination (Stockton, Ca) three days sooner. They neglected to tell her it was an Army surplus B29.  (This was in 1947,)  The first leg she rode in the back where it was outfitted with sling seats and no windows. The next leg she asked to ride in the Plexiglas bombardier turret.  She loved it!

As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, my dad worked for CalTrans.  He was the superintendent of a district and as such was required to check out all the road under his jurisdiction once or twice  a month. Consequently, he drove a couple of hundred miles every day. So what was his favorite thing to do on his day off? Take a trip! And frequently, back in the day, that travel involved driving.

You couldn’t do it in this day and age, but back then (in the ‘40s and ‘50s) he loved to have guests ride along with him. I loved spending the day riding with him on his rounds. It was like riding with a travel guide. He’d say, “See that mountain over there? That’s such and such mountain. It’s where they mined the quartz crystal that was used in the Norden bomb sights in the WWII bombers.” Or, “See that line along the base of the mountains over there? That’s the aqueduct that brings water from Parker Dam to L.A.” Then he’d proceed to tell stories about the building of the aqueduct.

Even on a Saturday afternoon he’d say, “Let’s go see where that road goes.” Or,” I found a new way to get there.” Or ”this looks like it ought to go through. Let’s take it and see.”

A hundred years earlier he would have been leading the covered wagons across the plains, I’m sure!

So what is it about this travel thing that calls to some of us? (Notice, I admit that not all of us are afflicted with this crazy travel bug.)
For me, it’s joy . . . pure, unadulterated joy.

Oh, to be sure there are the hassles of packing and security lines and expensive fuel, etc. ad infinitum.  But on the other hand, there are many factors in traveling that contribute to that joy.

The bottom line is that the prospect of going anywhere by any means is freighted with all kinds of possibilities. New scenery, new people to meet, time shared with old friends, both scenic and human.

Most of all, there’s the anticipation that around the next bend is something magical. My dad always said that if there were two tire tracks across the field, that meant there was something at the end to see. My mother always replied that she wished she had a nickel for every mile they’d had to back up because there was no place to turn around when they got to the end of the tracks. But it’s also true that sometimes there was something worth seeing…  even magical.

A musician all her life, she was married to the late Bill Jacoby with whom she formed a locally well -known musical group who prided themselves in playing for weddings, wakes, riots, bar mitzvas and super market openings. And, oh yes . . . she has two children, J’Anna and Jayson.

A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Chamberlain, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.

Adrienne Jacoby
Adrienne Jacoby is a 40-plus-year resident of Shasta County and native-born Californian. She was a teacher of vocal music in the Enterprise Schools for 27 years and has been retired for 11 years. A musician all her life, she was married to the late Bill Jacoby with whom she formed a locally well -known musical group who prided themselves in playing for weddings, wakes, riots, bar mitzvas and super market openings. And, oh yes … she has two children, J’Anna and Jayson.

1. don williams don williams says:

Adrienne,

I also love to travel, which is probably a very good thing as my job requires a lot of time one the road, always something new around the next bend. Last year on my travels there was an earthquake and a hurricane.

2. Avatar Canda says:

What a fun article, Adrienne. Makes me want to go someplace, any place! I can see where you got your sense of adventure. Your dad sounds delightful. What great memories for you. I love it! Enjoyed your column, as always.

3. Avatar Cherry says:

What a wonderful article. I, too, had a father that loved nothing more than jumping in the car and finding a road (not always paved) that he'd not travelled. Some of my fondest memories are Sunday drives after church, and usually a picnic (often just sandwiches in the car). Your mother's comment about having to back up for lack of room to turn around immediately brought back a long lost memory…a logging road to nowhere, as I recall. So I too have the bug but prefer a little more civilization with my adventures. Thank you for the column and for jogging my memory…more, please…

4. Avatar Kirsten says:

Adrienne-

Your article is SSSOOOOO timely, as I soon am off to Spain, celebrating a wedding in some remote village outside Malaga. I want to see the Alhambra and Sevilla, and will for sure have some challenges on the buses, as I prefer public transportation, not for convenience, but for the MAGIC that comes from doing something unplanned. So many times in my travels, have I met helpful and marvellous people, and as far as I'm concerned, it's all those little extra interactions that make your journey worthwhile. Often, I will catch a local bus and just ride along to the end station. With a map, mind you. Bikes are great too.

Keep it up, Adrienne!

• Avatar adrienne jacoby says:

Your comment about taking public transportation also jogged a memory for me. Staying in a villa on the Isle of Ischia, there was a bus stop right outside the gate. We kept saying that we ought to just get on the bus and see where it went . . . and so one evening we did. Once we convinced the young bus driver that we weren't going any PLACE and just wanted to ride wherever he was going, he turned into a perfectly marvelous tour guide . . . even tho' his English was pretty limited as was our Italian. we laughed a lot and saw some great country. Since we were the only ones on the bus at the end, I think he took some roads to some vistas that weren't on his regular route.

5. Avatar Jorgi Baker says:

Adrienne, love your articles. I often think back (several years?) to when you had an "office" in our store, Bernie's Guitar. The new store will sorely miss that experience! As will I!

Jorgi

6. Avatar Sally says:

AJ – I'm always happy to see a new Just Sayin' 'cause I know it will make me smile. Refering to the inability to turn around, the summer we had those horrendous fires, Adam Deen found a bear cub (no Mom in sight) with badly burned paws. He persued and caught the cub, wrapped him in his jacket with the idea of taking him back to base camp and saving him. Adam realized he could not turn around and would have to drive backwards on the trail through trees. Ah, but a truck was coming towards him and took both Adam and the cub to safety. The story is written in a book titled Saving Li'l Smokey.

7. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyde says:

Thank you for a great article Adrienne. I loved the story about your grandmother!

8. Avatar Claudia says:

AJ… My sister often goes to the same place over and over again. I, however,

prefer to see something new! Like my end of Sept. trip to New Orleans. I think

I'll see you there

9. Avatar Patty M. says:

Maybe I'm related to you. You've described the desire to travel just as I feel it! Thanks for putting it into words for me!!!

10. Avatar Juanita Echelbarger says:

Adrienne: I know your grandmother…. because I know you!! You definitely would not have been happy on that B 29 unless you were in the bombardier turret. Preferably with the bomb release mechanism at your fingertips. Always up for an adventure, and in control.

Love you, miss you, hope to see you one of these days.

Juanita

11. Avatar adrienne jacoby says:

CORRECTION: I was gently reminded by my brother that my grandmother rode in a B-17 not a B-29. Oooops . . . .

12. Avatar Budd Hodges says:

AJ…I loved your recollections of yore. I too, love to travel out of my roots and just got back from the left coast in Stone Lagoon and Arcata. Jacoby's is still there and we saw a few Redding folk cooling their heels in that very liberal town. The fog is nice, but it was great to get back to Redding, despite the heat and the conservitive attitude.

When you can't stand the heat get outta' the kitchen.

Your good friend, Budd