County Clerk Candidate Hunt: ‘No Funny Business’

shasta-county-primary-race-2010

Candidate statement from County Clerk candidate Russell K. Hunt:

The next four years will be the most critical in our nation’s history since its inception. The County Clerk’s role is primarily as supervisor of elections, though there are other responsibilities, such as issuing marriage licenses and fictitious business names.

The current County Clerk was anointed by her predecessor Ann Reed and has never faced a competitive election. She is a career bureaucrat. But I view the position as the public’s watchdog. I will not sit around waiting for retirement. In fact, as a believer of term limits, I am only seeking one term.

In my investigations of local elections, I found four individuals who don’t live in the districts they represent. Yes. Carpetbaggers. One even claimed to live in a condemned house. I brought this to Democrat Cathy Darling’s attention; it was ignored.

Furthermore, I reviewed campaign finance documents. I found many candidates did not fill out the forms correctly or omitted information and even failed to follow up on additional documentation. I found campaign contributions that were illegal. I also found pay to play scandals where local businesses were guaranteed contracts with school districts in exchange for campaign contributions for school bonds. All of these situations should have been reported to the Secretary of State, the District Attorney and the public at large. Instead, Mrs. Darling looked the other way, preferring to read romance novels instead of doing her job.

The Clerk’s position pays close to $90,000 a year. For that kind of money we deserve better. Currently, 40% of the adult population is not registered to vote. I intend to change that. I will initiate a program of outreach into all corners of the county to greatly reduce those numbers.

We can greatly reduce election costs by going to an all mail-in ballot election. New technology now allows voters to put their thumbprints on the ballot envelope to insure against fraud. I will use those envelopes. In the last school board election, over a hundred people were employed to man the polls when 75% of the people voted by mail. This makes no sense.

I will require all registering voters to provide us with proof of their identity. No illegal aliens will be allowed to vote. And just as important, I will personally visit the home of every local candidate to insure they are truly residing in the areas in which they represent. I will organize and coordinate local civic groups to have a series of candidate forums throughout the county. We should be able to meet who we are voting for and find out their opinions.

I will start a program of public education, where I as the County Clerk will go into the high school and college classrooms and explain to students the aspects of local government and how it effects them.

I will aggressively enforce the Elections Code and campaign finance laws. There will be no funny business on my watch.

If elected, I will follow the above agenda as well as work with the eleven-member staff in the office. All personnel will be cross trained to serve at least temporarily in all positions. This will save the taxpayers money as we won’t have to wait for one individual to come back from leave to serve the public in their speciality. I will be available to the public at all times that I am in the office.

Sincerely, Russell K. Hunt

russell-hunt1

I work as a science teacher for a group of charter schools in the valley. I am also an economic consultant and have worked all over the world to help firms establish a presence in these places. I am a real estate developer with my major project being an adult community called “The Wine Colony at Lucerne.” I have a diverse background and have worked with many types of people.

As for my education, I went to school locally all through my sophomore year in college. I obtained a bachelor’s degree in economics, business, and history. My Master’s degree is in Public Administration. My teaching credential is in social science, chemistry, biology, physics, economics and geoscience. I consider this to be a very well rounded education.

...

1. Avatar ReddingBob says:

Why does a guy who sounds so well educated sound so stupid?

2. Avatar Albert Huxley says:

Nice article Russel!

I appreciate your attitude and tenacity towards this position. It seems like you're really thinking outside the box. I think you deserve a chance at County Clerk to show us what you're made of. You have my vote.

Albert

3. Avatar Matt says:

This article should cement many votes for Cathy Darling. It certainly makes the choice crystal clear.

• Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

I concur. Cathy Darling has the experience and proven record of accuracy and timeliness, without letting her personal opinions affect implementation of the law.

4. Avatar Budd Hodges says:

Russel…Dream on dude. What office will you seek next? I hear we need a new mayor or a new supervisor. You could sell life size pictures from your house.

Continued good luck on your campaigns!

5. Avatar gamerjohn says:

Having read Mr. Hunt's posts on various sites and heard about the issues against his behavior, I remain confused about who he really is. He has run for many different positions over the years. He seems very conservative, yet there are all this side issues about stalking and false claims.

Finally how does he know Darling reads romance novels in the office? He is just guessing since she is a woman? Many don't read them. Or does he have actual insider stuff?

6. Avatar JeffG says:

"We must do better"

7. Avatar Karen C says:

Mr. Hunt cannot keep his small part of the world in order, how can he be expected to do justice to this position.

8. Avatar Carolyn Jones says:

One of the biggest problems with Russell Hunt is his crazed view of reality. He comes up with what he thinks are "facts" and then develops scenarios which he imagines fit his newest conspiracy theory. He does not responsibly represent the truth and this statement is a classic example of his twisted thinking and lies which are the core of everything he speaks or writes. The haircut is an improvement, I’ll give him that. Cathy Darling has my vote.

9. Avatar Russell K. Hunt says:

If you can't accept the facts, stop reading. Anyone can verify this information through public records. If anything, blame the media for looking the other way. Who says there is no Disneyland in Shasta County ? Some of these comments show liberals live in a fuzzy dream world. I doubt any of you would have the courage to run for office. And finally to address the stalking non-sense. These false charges were made by a woman with a long history of mental illness. She physically assaults people when she losses her temper, including the customers she serves. I told her boss who had already fired her on a previous occasion and thus she made the false claims to get revenge. The RS never gave me equal space to answer this BS. Bruce Ross was suddenly on vacation after these slam pieces.

• Avatar Nate says:

Russell – I'm not sure why you keep mentioning political party affiliations. The County Clerk is a non-partisan position. Maybe you're doing it because you think it will win you votes. For a few uninformed voters, maybe it will. But the majority of voters want substance behind their candidates.

Your petty, inflammatory nature doesn't bode well for office. An elected official needs to be, at the very least, professional. I gave your candidacy a long look, but I'm voting for Darling.

10. Avatar Madaboutewe says:

Mr. Hunt's signs say something about jobs, jobs, jobs. I can't figure out how the Clerk's office has any bearing on jobs other than in their own department. Oh wait, he wants to put the election workers OUT OF A JOB and force everyone to use the US Postal Service to vote. My grandfather would FREAK OUT. He just wants to be in power to check up on people that have annoyed him in the past. This is a substantial job and can't run itself while he is out teaching children at local schools how the system works, visiting homes of those running for office, etc. Perhaps he could look at the job description and then figure out how to make things better. I haven't noticed any real issues in the Clerk's office, other than the remodel made it interesting to find the front door.

11. Avatar Russell K. Hunt says:

The clerk's office has eleven employees. During election season things can be very busy. But there are generally only two elections in even years and one in odd years. There is plenty of time to introduce students to the process. And since this article was published, campaign documents are now being reviewed for accuracy. So already a difference has been made. Mail in ballots can save us the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. The City of Redding used a mail-in ballot for approval of utility rates last year. And before that the Mosquito District used such for a rate increase to all propertry owners. Mail-in does not eliminate all polling places but limits them to one per community.All precincts will be re-created to less than 250 voters thus allowing a all mail-in ballot. Other counties already do it.

12. Avatar Kirsten says:

But Russell……… please give us the REAL IMPORTANT facts, such as : How do you know that Ms.Darling reads romance novels? And is it on her own time or mine?? We are all waiting breathlessly………………..
    Kirsten

13. Avatar pmarshall says:

Why do we have to elect a Clerk, anyway. I doubt this should be a political job.

May the best clerk win. Does she use shorthand or a machine of sorts. Just what is the job description? Notice, i said "she".

14. Avatar getitdone says:

Russell Hunt is a jerk. He prays on Older people and harasses his own neighbors. He is a sniveling coward that intimidates people because he himself has nothing better to do with his time. Watch dog? More like Monster. I am entitled to my opinion.

I am sick and tired of bullies like Russell running around rabid and drooling looking to start trouble and lawsuits. What kind of person does this? Look out when you see this man, watch out what you say, and how you say it.

This man knows how to work the system for his monetary needs. In other words this man will sue you even if you have NO IDEA WHO THE HELL HE IS!

I defraud you. Indeed. You are the fraud. The joke of the town. Looser.

This is just an opinion. I am not responsible for anything typed here.