The Coronavirus Conundrum

Editor's note: If you appreciate being able to read posts like this, and want to ensure ANC's ability to continue publishing similar content, please click here to demonstrate your support and become a paid subscriber for as little at $1.35 a month.

Depiction of novel coronavirus courtesy of clark.wa.gov

One of my gigs is substitute teaching. I’m currently working at one of Shasta County’s middle schools. I spent last week washing my hands six times a day and encouraging students to do the same, precautionary measures to prevent spreading the novel coronavirus urged by the school’s administrators.

Now I’m worried such precautionary measures aren’t enough to stop the spread of coronavirus in our community. COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the novel coronavirus, has a 10 percent mortality rate in people over 60, and I turn 60 on Tuesday.

I’m wondering if I should go into work tomorrow.

No one had to urge me to frequently wash my hands to avoid catching coronavirus. I’ve been taking the latest viral outbreak dead seriously for weeks now, since China, after thousands of deaths, quarantined millions of its citizens in Wuhan, shutting down a large portion of its industrial capacity.

China’s strict measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus severed global supply chains, causing stock markets around the world to plummet, including Wall Street. Ordinarily, it wouldn’t be in China’s best interest to shut down such a large chunk of its economy. It’s become readily apparent to me that novel coronavirus is not your ordinary seasonal flu.

As we now know, China’s efforts didn’t stop the spread of coronavirus across the globe. According to the Coronavirus Dashboard, there are 109,493 confirmed cases and 3798 deaths worldwide. Some 3000 of those deaths occurred in China, where the coronavirus began in late November and the spread has slowed; another 400 occurred in Italy, where coronavirus has exploded and half the country has been quarantined.

The number of new cases outside of China now exceeds the number of new cases inside China.

Here at home, there are 400 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United State as of this writing, including 86 in California and 105 in Washington state. So far, 21 Americans have succumbed to COVID-19, including 16 elderly residents in a Washington nursing home and two patients in California.

In Shasta County, two people who had contacts with COVID-19 patients tested negative last week. *So far, there’ve been no confirmed cases in the county. (Read update below.)

However, that doesn’t mean coronavirus isn’t here. Officials in Washington state suspect coronavirus may have been circulating in the Seattle area as long as two months ago. It could have easily spread from the Canadian to the Mexican border up and down the 1-5 corridor during this time period, by infected travelers visiting their relatives and stopping at restaurants, gas stations and motels. We have no way of knowing, because until recently, we haven’t been testing anyone for coronavirus in the United States.

Make no mistake, spreading is one of the things at which coronavirus excels. Dr. Richard Hatchett, one of the world’s leading experts on global pandemics and vaccines, put it like this in a recent interview with BBC Channel 4:

“This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career, and that includes Ebola, it includes MERS, it includes SARS. And it’s frightening because of the combination of infectiousness and a lethality that appears to be manyfold higher than flu.”

COVID-19 is less lethal for people under 60 with no underlying heart and respiratory issues, but it can be deadly for people over 60. For people over the age of 70 with underlying medical conditions the fatality rate is 15 percent and perhaps much higher.

My parents, whom I often visit after subbing at the school, belong to the latter category. I’m extremely concerned that I might catch coronavirus at school and transmit it to them. I enjoy teaching, I need the money and my students depend on me being there, but my parents depend on me too. That’s my coronavirus conundrum.

Last week, the middle school I’m working at fully implemented the CDC’s recommendations for childcare and K-12 schools, with an emphasis on washing your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds as often as possible, not touching your face and cleaning desks and surfaces with disinfectant that kills coronavirus.

(Pro-tip: Washing your hands as often as possible, especially with Purell, dries out your skin and causes cracks that can lead to infection. Break out the Jergens.)

Instead of bumping fists with students, the teachers now bump elbows. I’ve calmed the fears of more than one student by explaining COVID-19 doesn’t appear to be all that lethal for young people with no underlying medical conditions—it’s old coots like me and above who have to worry.

And worried I am. Despite all the precautions my school is taking, it’s not too difficult to see where the virus might find a way in. Touching a door handle or tabletop recently touched by an infected staff member or student with no overt symptoms is all it would take.

I consider myself relatively healthy and just passed my annual physical with flying colors, but both of my parents have respiratory issues. By continuing to go to school and visiting them afterward, I’m not just potentially putting my life in danger, I’m putting their lives in danger.

I believe the safest course of action is to presume the novel coronavirus is already here in our community. Our schools are not the only local institutions where it poses a threat. Healthcare providers, law enforcement, emergency responders, service workers, people who attend large religious gatherings and anyone else in frequent contact with the general public are at risk of contracting coronavirus.

That’s pretty much all of us.

The CDC regulations cited above recommend temporarily closing schools where staff members or students have tested positive for COVID-19. It suggests schools consider closing if any community-spread coronavirus is detected within the district. Schools are expected to make these decisions in consultation with local public health officials. Given the aforementioned lack of testing nationwide, my fear is such action will come too late to stop the spread of the disease.

Now that testing is ramping up—Shasta County Health and Human Services says testing is available for anyone with a doctor’s recommendation—Shasta County will soon record its first cases of novel coronavirus.

As scary as all of this sounds, I’m still going to work tomorrow. My students need me, and I need the money. I’ve been extraordinarily cautious during the past two weeks, and I’ll still visit my parents after work. They need me too.

But I expect this state of affairs to change shortly. If the novel coronavirus continues to spread and local public officials don’t act, I’ll act myself, and choose family over work.

I’m certain that I’m far from the only person in Shasta County contemplating such a decision.

###

*Editor’s update: A man in his 50s is the first Shasta County resident to receive a presumptive diagnosis of COVID-19, the novel Coronavirus. The patient is recovering in isolation at home.  The Shasta County Public Health Laboratory ran the first tests, which were positive, and they will be sent to the CDC for confirmation. Click here to read the full press release

R.V. Scheide
R.V. Scheide has been a northern California journalist for more than 20 years. He appreciates your comments and story ideas. He can be emailed at RVScheide@anewscafe.com.

1. Avatar Laura says:

Happy Birthday tomorrow!

I’ve enjoyed your writing since waaayyyy back in your SN&R days. Thank you for the thoughtful, well researched work you’re doing here at ANC. I’m always happy to check in and see your byline on a new piece.

I’ve banned my college-age kids from visiting my parents this spring break. Nobody’s happy about it, but it seems the safest decision.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Thanks Laura. Unfortunately a good portion of my work for SNR, some of the funniest stuff, was between 1992-97 and isn’t available online. Do you go that far back?

Today, at work and at my parents, I tried to talk to people about coronavirus. People think I’m panicking. I’m not panicking. I’m being smart.

• Avatar Laura says:

Yep, I’m not sure how I feel about admitting that I go that far back, but I do!

I’ve been the coronavirus “Chicken Little” in my family, carefully trying to walk the line between causing panic and urging caution. I feel fortunate to live in an uncrowded area, but a little frightened about our limited healthcare facilities and personnel.

The science, which I usually find reassuring, is downright scary. I think we’re in for a rough couple of months.

Wash your hands, people! Stay away from the buffets. Better yet, stay home.

Be safe. Take care of each other.

2. Steve DuBois Steve DuBois says:

The number of daily recorded cases in China has dropped significantly. I hope that’s a good sign for our future. It’s probably going to get worse here before it gets better, so we all need to take this seriously with necessary precautions.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

It’s great that the outbreak has subsided in China, but the havoc that’s it wreaked on the Chinese industrial machine is just beginning to reverberate through the global economy. When I wrote this story, only one-quarter of Italy was quarantined at the time but I said “half.” As of this writing, THE ENTIRE STATE OF ITALY IS QUARANTINED, INCLUDING THE CLOSING OF ALL SCHOOLS.

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

Not to worry.
      Our leader of the free world says it will someday just “ go away”.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Chad, I tried very hard not to make this story political, but yeah, Trump is blowing it bigly.

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

The coronavirus is a major political issue.
          If we are to consider how other nations are handling the virus, we need to admit that America, has not provided a model for others to follow.
          Number one, and a significant failure lies at the the hands of trump when he mandated the gag order on government experts. When he put his ass of a vp in charge..

For a country known as the most powerful in the world, we are sucking hind teet, not leading.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

A Utah Jazz player, Rudy Gobert, made fun of the COVI virus and after the interview he touched all the mikes of sportscasters and then was tested positive. Maybe an intelligence test should be given too.

3. Avatar Candace says:

R.V., Happy almost birthday! Yes, the elderly parent thing (among many other things like 60+ ) is very concerning. My heart goes out to all who are having to make these tough decisions. Stay well!

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I’ve washed my hands 22 times today, and managed to touch my face at work only 3 times. It’s impossible!

4. Avatar Robert V. Scheide SR. says:

There is no doubt that you are working in a high risk environment, but don’t worry too much about passing it on to us. One of my favorite sayings apply “YOU CAN ONLY DO WHAT YOU CAN DO” then move on.

I believe that President Trump is guilty of Dereliction of Duty. There were test patches available from the WHO from day 1 but Trump ordered then not to buy them. Other countries have tested 100000s we have tested 400 so. Wanted the profit to go to American companies.

So in light of that you have to know we have no idea how many virus cases we really have.
    As testing become available we should be able to get a handle on the problem. If the infected obey the rules we have a chance.

If China does not get back to work our medications could run out, apparently no one keeps a big supply on hand. Us old guys could get into big trouble fast. This event should wake up folks that there are big holes in the Global Enterprise system. Depending on other countries to make your critical needs is dumber than dumb. Be it medicines or chip to power our weapons.

One thing I would like you all to consider . Can you now see that the conservative way of doing business ? Maximum profit is the only consideration, On time delivery works only as long as its weakest link works.

This bit for your consideration , think on our Health Care System. The most expensive in the world by a factor of 2 that price is driven by greed. During a hearing on health care hearing the virus an official was asked if he could guarantee that all would be able to afford the vaccine (when made) . His reply No he could not because they don’t control the price. Or anything else apparently.
    FLUSH THE BUNCH

5. Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

We have had COVI victims since almost day one down here in Phoenix, one started at ASU and since then has multiplied. But the news, all the news, have been more concerned with the regular flu than COVI and the precautions for both are similar. One of the most hated Republican legislators, Paul Gosar, is now under self quarantine for coming into contact with a COVI carrier at a CPAC meeting in the East.
    The Cactus league attendance seems not to have been affected as games are still being played and I didn’t see any masks on the packed spectators. The Asian Festival, along with others, have still gone on.
    St Marys Food Pantry still hands out food and I didn’t see any masks but we volunteers have always washed our hands and wore latex gloves.
    I am 78 with all the respiratory ailments, and my wife is almost 70. Do we become hermits because of COVI? No. A year ago we were told Measles was the threat, before that was Ebola, we are still here.
    Our daughter and her husband are bringing their dogs from Wyoming down to Scottsdale for Dock Diving this weekend and we are going. It may be the only time we might get to see them this year.
    I have always been optimistic and refuse to hide from this disease fear. Every post I make here could be my last but, Oh Well. Hope I am not being over dramatic but I don’t think our lives are in jeopardy.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

People should be concerned about the flu, it’s lethal, .01 percent of the people who catch it die. I always, always, always get a flu shot.

COVID-19 is not the flu. It’s a novel coronavirus that is 20 to 35 times more lethal than the flu for people 60 and above. Stay home.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

RV, staying home is not an option. I will be the ultimate test case if I go out and survive it will prove that this COVI is no more dangerous than any other disease. If I die you can tell me you told me so but the fact is that in Phoenix I am more likely to be hit by a distracted driver, even on the sidewalk, then I am in being infected with COVI.

• Avatar Candace says:

Bruce, I have to say that your dismissive attitude towards others concerns regarding this virus (as well as being a slap in the face to those people and their families who have already died and are currently sick and in danger of dying) caught me totally off guard. A virus, I might add, for which we currently have no working vaccine. I mean, I certainly hope for your and your loved one’s sake (cuz I imagine you to be a pretty decent guy and I’m guessing your family would like to keep you around) that you or your loved ones indeed don’t succumb to this virus (or get hit by a distracted driver) while living in Phoenix, or anywhere else for that matter. That said, those two things not coming to fruition in no way proves your claim regarding the danger of this virus compared to others. I know by your previous writings that you’re a compassionate man so this chest-thumping “much ado about nothing”; “not in my Phoenix” stuff coming from you thoroughly takes me by surprise. Both R.V. Sr. and Jr. are right to be concerned. We all are. No shame in trying your best to keep yourself, your family and the people around you out of harms way; it’s the responsible and humanitarian thing to do.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Bruce, if you get COVID-19, there’s a good chance you’ll die. This is no joke.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

RV, the key word is if. So far there have been few cases down here and the CDC is monitoring it closely. The elderly deaths that occurred in Kirkland were at a nursing home run by a for profit national operator that has been cited for violations already
            The elderly are not dropping like flies just by going outside. I was trying to address that just by going out in public is not a death sentence. What Shasta County, as well as other areas, needs to do is make sure the nursing homes in the area are well staffed with proper health workers and not trying to cut corners.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

In your case, it’s not if, it’s when, if you continue your present behavior. You have been warned.

6. Avatar ED MAREK says:

Italy, leading us by a few weeks in the pandemic, has been essentially shut down as of today, including the closure of all schools.

Will it work?

Will we be next?

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

China has proved that extreme social distancing works. Will we follow?

• Avatar ED MAREK says:

China is a dictatorship that enforced “social distancing” (near-complete isolation by halting all non-essential social and economic activity) using all the surveillance and enforcement tools of a police state.

And while it seems to have greatly slowed transmission during the economic shut-down period, it is not clear at what level the virus will reemerge and spread now that limited social activities have been allowed to resume.

Not a model we would choose to adopt, even if we could.

7. Avatar Common Sense says:

3PM News Conference- We are taking care of Americans and the Economy-Orange Guy.

I can say that I appreciate that the Prez stopped flights from China Fairly early!

Cudo’s to that good decision.It slowed the spread without a doubt.

Now perhaps we can “ALL” say without a doubt….this not a Hoax!

If they do end up paying people something when they are sick with this Virus, that will help so people don’t go to work as the president said they were going to with the Virus.

Now if we can get a Handle on the Floating Virus Factories better known as cruise ships!

Reporters-

Mr. President has he been tested??? Mr Pence….ummmm ummmm .Have you been tested Mr. Pence??? Ahhh…… No….I have not!

Well that’s reassuring! Time for those thoughts and prayers!

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

1. Trump only banned Chinese nationals from flying in, not American tourists.
      2. As of last Friday, only 2000 Americans had been tested.

• Avatar Common Sense says:

And now it’s been labeled The “Chinese” Virus by the Orange Guy and His Admin and Faux News! No Racism there.

I wonder how the 5 Million Chinese voters are going to vote in this election?

I am waiting for the statement if we don’t finish the MEXICAN Wall the CHINESE Virus will get Worse! And it will be the Democrats Fault!

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

The COVID-19 pandemic will likely cost the economy an estimated $1 trillion in costs/lost revenue and perhaps orders of magnitude more in evaporated wealth.

But it’s okay. Orange Mussolini says China is going to pay for it.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

The COVID-19 pandemic has already shaved trillions off the global economy. It’s estimated that China will lose 2 percentage points off its GDP, bringing growth this year down to 4 percent. That’s a recession for China. And it’s still unclear how many Chinese have gone back to work.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I had meant to specify the USA’s economy, but it’s all guesswork at this point, anyway. What’s going on in China is especially anyone’s guess. My brother works for the American subsidiary of a Chinese company (they manufacture, sell, and install those huge video displays you see in sports arenas and stadiums), and he’s extremely skeptical of all the info coming out of China. His own parent company is ghosting their American subsidiary—it’s like they’re afraid to talk.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

One presumes that if one is skeptical of the information coming out of China, it’s because the truth is far worse than what we know.

8. Avatar Gracious Palmer says:

Thank you, wise and thoughtful Scheides.

9. Joanne Snyder Joanne Snyder says:

Great article R.V. Scheide. Thanks for the information about the lethality of this virus for people over 60.
    When my mom lived in Redding I never visited her when I was sick or thought I was going to be sick. I worked at a local school, and at the end of the day students helped me clean desks, keyboards, mice and the door handle to the room. My co-workers and I still caught every bug that came down the pike.
    We’re over 21 so we get to do what we want including being as vigilent as we want and not worrying what other people think. Be safe and stay healthy R.V.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I’ve been blessed with a pretty solid immune system, I’ve only gotten a cold once in four years of substitute teaching. I always get a flu shot. I enthusiastically embraced the protective measures we’re taking at school. But after researching this thoroughly, I’ve concluded that it’s not enough.

10. R.V., thanks for writing a piece that so aptly describes your “Coronavirus conundrum”. I have no doubt that many of us can relate, and have our own conundrums.

Also, I know you would rather we not make a big deal out of it, but happy birthday, R.V.

You have 54 minutes left as a 59-year-old. Make them count!

11. Avatar Common Sense says:

The “Stable Genius” leading the show. What Could possibly go wrong?

Trump appeared unaware of his grandfather’s cause of death, he cited another family member — a “super-genius uncle,” his grandfather’s youngest son — as having given him the family genes to understand the science of the coronavirus outbreak.

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

In office for 3+ year and didn’t know any American’s died of the Flu. Amazing!

12. Frank Treadway Frank Treadway says:

Manhattan Project for the virus, Now ! Find an isolated island, get key scientists together, all the materials they could need and in one week come up with a vaccine. Do It Now !

13. Valerie Ing Valerie Ing says:

With both my parents over 85 and my dad in home hospice care, I can really relate. They depend on me for so much, but I don’t want to be the one who brings any kind of bug into their home that could take them down.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Valerie, depending on how much social distancing you adopt, it may be possible for you to continue helping your parents without endangering them. That’s my plan.

14. Avatar ED MAREK says:

Not a model we would choose to adopt, even if we could.

15. Avatar Patrecia Barrett says:

Everyone needs to read the Sacramento Bee article below about the dangerous practices of Redding’s Bethel Church. They have supposedly suspended their practice of invading hospital emergency rooms to engage in faith healing in response to the coronavirus threat, but please be aware of being approached by its followers on the street, who often target the elderly and infirm to “lay hands on”.

Per this article Bethel has not decided to suspend its jam-packed services (with thousands of attendees from all over the world), which seems like an extremely fertile breeding ground for this disease.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Bethel is definitely a weak link when it comes to protecting Shasta County from coronavirus.

• Avatar Anita Brady says:

and they cram so many BSSM students in a rental, if one of them is infected the whole bunch will be. How do we say “hotspot” in the making!!!!

16. R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

It’s Tuesday, March 10. Today is my 60th birthday and I’ve made one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make. I have decided to quit substitute teaching until we have a clearer picture of where this pandemic is going. Now that I’ve made the decision, I feel good about it, even though it’s going to cause me some financial hardship. I’d rather be poor for a short time than prematurely dead.

17. Avatar ED MAREK says:

IMO, you made the right decision.

To help others make their own decisions, I suggest reading:

“Cancel Everything

Social distancing is the only way to stop the coronavirus. We must start immediately…

The coronavirus could spread with frightening rapidity, overburdening our health-care system and claiming lives, until we adopt serious forms of social distancing.

This suggests that anyone in a position of power or authority, instead of downplaying the dangers of the coronavirus, should ask people to stay away from public places, cancel big gatherings, and restrict most forms of nonessential travel…”

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Thanks Ed! There’s too many medical professionals stressing social distancing for me not to take it seriously.

18. Avatar Candace says:

R.V. Not to trivialize, but on the “lighter side” of this shit- show ( ya, I went there) my favorite quote yet was from a piece my son shared with me of someone interviewing people buying mountains of toilet paper and asking one gentleman who was doing just that the question “why?”. His Answer? “Because we’re bat-shit crazy. Legit”. Happy Birthday.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I’ve seen empty shelves of Purell at several stores, but toilet paper appears to be abundant in Redding at this point. We’re going to order from Amazon.

19. Avatar Candace says:

R.V. , *full disclosure – my box of “Who Gives A Crap” ( legit company) toilet paper was just delivered to my front door. Legit.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Or maybe we’ll follow your lead!

• Avatar Candace says:

R.V. Awesome company, “Who Gives A Crap” but a bit pricey. I first bought the 10o% bamboo ( cuz the environment) but it’s def more expensive than Costco, etc. The rolls come individually wrapped in recycled paper which seemed less than ideal so I reached out to the Company. Due to health laws (and moisture, etc. ) they currently choose to do that rather than bulk wrap in plastic. They’re working on figuring out alternatives. I save the wrappers and use them as gift wrap “who gives a crap” logo and all. “Who Gives A Crap it’s your birthday, I do!”. Anyway my second order was recycled instead of Bamboo cuz they were sold out. There’s a way to do a $10 off your next order with family and friends which I and my brother in Santa Cruz took advantage of. That said, I’m always on the lookout for Bamboo toilet paper at Grocery Outlet ( they carry bamboo paper towels if you use them) , Winco, etc. in order to save money, shop local and curb my “mail packaging” footprint. Of course, different times and circumstances call for different measures, such as now.

20. Avatar KRISTIN V MOORE says:

I just joined and simultaneously read some of RV Schieds contributions…. if this is an indicator of what I’m in for as a new reader, let the reading begin! Excited to begin this new journey!

21. Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

NBA season suspended.
    The majority of sports fans would support this decision.

Canceling of gatherings coming soon to Redding.
    I wonder how this will affect our area?
    How will recreation be affected this summer? Do we know if outdoor activities will be safe? The lake, campgrounds, softball, soccer leagues?

22. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Anyone watch Trump’s speech yesterday? Don’t worry—he’s doesn’t have it yet. All that sniffing was the amphetamine/dextroamphetamine from the crushed Adderall he’d snorted earlier.

The travel ban was 5% “I’m doing something” and 95% “Blame the furriners for the Corona, ‘cept the ones who speak “Murican.”

On the strength of Der Pumpkinführer’s performance, the stock market went looking for Hell again this morning.

23. Avatar Candace says:

Steve, I watched a “snippet”. That was enough. I literally can’t stand to hear/watch the the man speak. Besides, at this point, why bother?

24. Avatar Common Sense says:

To think the Orange Guy really had a decent chance in the 2020 until the Virus brought him down, or should we say how he handled the Virus. With the contacts he has had and refusing to be tested….it might end up being the former and latter.

The Below article is written by a Lifelong Republican that worked in 3 Previous GOP Administrations…..

25. Avatar Common Sense says:

I have great concern this Virus is going to get really really get bad. There are TOO many people all over the Country out at Restaurants and walking in groups and not taking this Seriously at all.From the Thousands of Spring Breakers to the people from the Cities taking Drives to the Country and Small towns to hang out for the day and get a bite to eat etc…..its bound to spread it even more!

https://ncov2019.live/data A good Resource to track it if you like.