Redding’s Stillwater Should Welcome Sriracha to Grow Chilies; Bottle Sauce

The Stillwater Water Business Park has been in the news looking for it’s first tenant. How about contacting Huy Fong Foods, the manufacturer of  Sriracha “Rooster” Hot Sauce, to see if they’d like to relocate?

Sriracha “Rooster” Hot Sauce, which I am a big fan of, has been in the news because the city of Irwindale is threatening to close their plant down.

From the articles I have read, there seems to be a difference of opinion if the plant produces bad smells. According to the L.A. Times, Huy Fong Foods,  employs 50 full time and 200 part time employees. The Northstate could also be a great place to grow the chilies they put in the sauce.

Not sure if it would be a good match, but could be a win win possibility.

Sriracha spat: 11 complaints prompt AQMD ‘odor surveillance’ – LA Times

4 Reasons to Chill About Sriracha’s Public Nuisance Ruling – The Motley Fool

Dispute Over California Sriracha Plant Heats Up – Paste Magazine

Belinda Sanda lives in Redding.

1. Avatar Renee Harris says:

How funny, I JUST heard about this in a podcast this week about the city of Irwindale trying to shut them down. I say bring them here; the North State is a good place to bring in a new business.

2. Avatar David says:

And for those of us that live near Stillwater Park, should we be worried about the possible “bad smells” issues?

3. Avatar cheyenne says:

I emailed Huy Fong Foods about moving their plant to Cheyenne, Wyoming. I received the following email yesterday;
    “In regards to your email, we are not looking into relocating our Irwindale facility since we are sorting out this situation. We appreciate the thought of inviting us to Cheyenne, Wyoming. Furthermore, we will keep your information for future reference. We will forward it to the correct person. Thank you for your support.”
    Sincerely customer service
    Huy Fong Foods, Inc
    4800 Azusa Canyon Road
    Irwindale, CA 91706
    A polite way to say “don’t call us we will call you”. It took me all of two minutes to send them an email touting the advantages of moving to Cheyenne and now if their situation doesn’t work out they will have heard of Cheyenne.
    Redding would be a great place for this plant to move, but has anyone in Redding asked them to come?

4. Avatar Kelly says:

I think the city should ask Bethel Church to take over Stillwater. If they run it like the Civic Auditorium it will be full of tenants in no time!

5. Avatar name says:

The factory needs to be close to where the peppers are grown. The cost of shipping peppers all the way up here would be prohibitive, especially with no rail spur to the badly located business park

6. Avatar Karen C says:

I can tell you from experience that chile peppers grow well in our lovely Redding. I’ve grown all sorts of peppers. I have so many frozen in my freezer, that this year, I had to resort to growing sweet peppers, so I can use up all my chile peppers this summer. I did put in one Aneheim, however!

7. Avatar name says:

Can you grow 100 million pounds of peppers annualy here? Sriracha has been using the same chili pepper farm for 20 some years…