Sweetie’s Restaurant Stands Out On South Market Street

It might seem as incomprehensible to newcomers and young folks as journeying from Missouri to California via covered wagon, but once upon a time there was no Interstate 5. Instead, that ribbon of highway known as State Route 99 flowed through the center of California and right through the center of towns like Burbank, Sacramento, Yuba City, Red Bluff, and Redding. You didn’t have to take an exit to get to a gas station or a motel or a store: they were lined up right next to the road. When Interstate 5 was more or less completed in 1968, those businesses along 99 that depended on high traffic volume were left to sink or swim. Many of them did sink, along with their neighbors, and formerly prosperous areas of town deteriorated like drywall left out in the rain.

There are those who shut their eyes and lock their car doors driving though the blight. And then there are those who see opportunity with the many vacant buildings and low rent. Think of Racha Noodle and Kanya Gardens, two fine restaurants that might not have been able to initially afford uptown rent but which have prospered and earned success. Now we add Sweetie’s to that group of entrepreneurs.

You might have seen the barbecue wagon parked next to Eddy’s Pub on Market Street – that’s Sweetie’s barbecue they use for catering.Their brick-and-mortar restaurant is the space where Denny’s, the Lime Tree, and AJ’s came and went on South Market Street.

As soon as you walk in, you realize this is not your average coffee shop. A sign near the front door advertises local tomato Benedict, line-caught salmon, and free-range eggs. Patrons range from nearby workers on their lunch hour, families with toddlers, and quite a few retirees, all enjoying the good food at low prices.

Amico del Signore ordered the local tomato Benedict – eggs Benedict sans ham, substituting fat slices of very ripe, very juicy tomatoes that actually came out of a local garden instead of being bounced around in the back of a tractor-trailer all the way from Calexico. Topping it was a house-made Hollandaise, smooth and lemony without the salty taste of packaged mix. The friendly waitress (who, it turned out, was the owner) told us that her husband makes the Hollandaise to order – even though that’s more trouble than using a prepackaged mix or can, she said the customers react positively to it. Hash browns were also house-made, with a crunchy exterior and creamy interior.

Mipas is eggs scrambled with tortilla chips, and Sweetie’s version was light, tender, and fluffy. Little speckles of egg white indicated the eggs are fresh – not scrambled-egg mix. A light amount of melted cheese enhanced the mix of flavors and textures, as did a small dish of salsa and pickled Jalapeno slices. This can be ordered with sausage (as pictured here), ham, or bacon, or with beans.

After that initial breakfast, Femme de Joie and Amico del Signore were eager to return for lunch, to see if it was as good as breakfast. It was.

The house-smoked pulled pork sandwich really showed off the owners’ barbecue chops. At first glance, both A. del Signore and M. de Joie thought the sandwich might be dry, as there was no sauce on the meat or offered on the side. But one bite told the story: no sauce was needed. The pork was permeated with real smoke flavor – not from a bottle – and super-tender. Served on a house-made sweet potato roll, this was one of the best examples of fine barbecue available around the North State.

Mediterranean spinach salad with grilled salmon is the kind of dish you wouldn’t expect to find in a diner. As the owner told us, they strive to use fresh and high-quality ingredients, and the presence on the menu of line-caught salmon (not farmed, which is often mushy-textured and lacking in flavor) showed they mean business. Fresh baby spinach leaves combined with tomato, cucumber, pitted Kalamata olives, thin-sliced red onion and a light scatterling of feta cheese was a great base for the buttery grilled salmon.

Rhubarb is considered by many to be a somewhat old-fashioned ingredient like gooseberries or elderberries, and you don’t often see it offered in restaurants. But Sweetie’s served up this luscious strawberry-rhubarb shortcake with a base of house-made yellow cake and a generous amount of not-too-sweet stewed fruit topping, made from homegrown strawberries. A winner and a serving that’s big enough for two.

The South Market area might one day make a reversal of fortune. Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, yuppies will start moving into this unfashionable area because of low rents and then open up boutiques and chi-chi cafes, and raise all the rents. Before that happens, drive down to Sweetie’s and enjoy breakfast or lunch in a comfortable atmosphere.

Sweetie’s, 3105 South Market Street, Redding, CA 96001. 530-244-2269. Open daily except Monday, 6 AM – 3 PM. Parking on-site. Cards, cash; no checks. No alcohol. Serving breakfast and lunch. Vegetarian options. Website atย ย http://www.sweeties-catering.com/index.html

Femme de Joie’s first culinary masterpiece was at age 4, when she made the perfect fried bologna sandwich on white bread. Since then she has dined on horse Bourguignon in France, stir-fried eel in London, and mystery meat in her college cafeteria, but firmly draws the line at eating rattlesnake, peppermint and Hamburger Helper. She lives in Shasta County at her country estate, Butterscotch Acres West. She is nearly always hungry. Visit MenuPlease for more or send her an email at femmedejoiefood@yahoo.com.

A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Chamberlain, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of

Femme de Joie
Femme de Joie's first culinary masterpiece was at age 4, when she made the perfect fried bologna sandwich on white bread. Since then she has dined on horse Bourguignon in France, stir-fried eel in London, and mystery meat in her college cafeteria, but firmly draws the line at eating rattlesnake, peppermint and Hamburger Helper. She lives in Shasta County at her country estate, Butterscotch Acres West. She is nearly always hungry. Visit MenuPlease for more or send her an email at femmedejoiefood@yahoo.com.

1. Avatar EasternShastaCounty says:

Roque and Tif Carbajal, the owners of Sweetie's, are our neighbors when we are at our home in Redding. I'm delighted that you recognize all that these young people are trying to accomplish with this endeavor. Roque is an executive chef, and Tif is a pastry chef who met at culinary school — a combination that is illustrated on their T-shirts with a chef's knife crossed with a rolling pin. By the way, Kanya Garden is no more; it's now Thai House — equally good the one time I've been there when I had the pumpkin curry. Roque plans to move his barbeque trailer to Sweetie's lot eventually. Can't you just imagine what a traffic stopper it will be when he's grilling tri-tip and chicken, and those wonderful fragrances waft out over South Market? Besides the good food, it's fun for me to go to Sweetie's because Roque and Tif come out from behind the stove and counter to give me a hug while the other customers look on, smiling.

• Femme de Joie Femme de Joie says:

Dear EasternShastaCounty,

Thank you for the info about Kanya Gardens. It's good to hear that someone will continue to serve up those incredible curries.

Thanks for commenting,

Femme de Joie

2. Avatar CoachBob says:

I'd like to see the couple at Sweeties succeed. It's gonna be tough located where they are, and being closed for 3 months is NOT good for the regular types (like me).

However, being an executive chef or any other type of cook does not mean you know how to run a restaurant. Many people have opened restaurants 'cause grandma had great recipes….but they don't understand the operation of a business.

The young lady has next to zero experience as a waitress. I hope she pays close attention to the experienced girl on in the mornings…..she can learn from a pro. This is a learning experience but she needs to learn quickly.

I'll try the Eggs Bennie next time. Sounds good.

• Avatar EasternShastaCounty says:

If I may interject: Roque was the manager of the kitchen of a local hospital for several years, and it was his job — and he did it successfully — to keep within a budget while serving quality meals not only to the patients but also in the cafe located in the hospital.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

IF I may interject in return: Working in the kitchen, within budget, is admirable. But that doesn't qualify you to run a business where the ONLY thing that matters is the customer walking in the door who has the option (as opposed to a captive audience). So, quality of food is a plus, servers that know the biz….BIG plus. But as I said earlier…just 'cuz you can cook don't mean you can run a business, budget or no.The young lady needs a crash course in waitressing…she's never done it before. He's in the back. Again, the customer is the ONLY thing that matters. If you don't believe it…open your own place, cook great food, sit at a table and eat it with no other customers around. You'll be broke in a week or two, but well fed!

I wish them well. But I'll reserve judgement for a few months. And, hopefully, I won't have to try the food at Nor-Cal Rehab. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar Larry says:

Whoa Coach. How many games did you lose in a row? Or did you ever win one? Lighten up, give them a chance. Hope you're not sitting next to me when I'm eating there. Negative vibes and then some.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

Well, Larry, I appreciate your thoughts. That said…

Give who a chance? When you open a restaurant you'd better be prepared to handle the crowd. In the past couple of days we've seen tables get up and leave because they weren't taken care of in a timely manner. They'll never come back. You can't do this in the restaurant biz. The young lady, sweet as she is (and she is!), is really "green". Now, that's not a crime…unless you're in the restaurant business. But, she's obviously NEVER served before. She has a mentor working there that has dozens of years of experience and she needs to listen to that person. If she isn't willing this place will collapse under its own weight. Because, as I said in a previous blog, it ain't about the food…it's the customers first and foremost.

Also, one kiss of death is staying closed for three (3) months after taking title from the previous owner. Not a good way to start. Shows total unpreparedness. Now, I gave them a chance by waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for the three months. Don't lecture me on "giving them a chance". My jury is still out. I've seen inexperience finally win before in the business. One notable example is out in Palo Cedro.

In their defense, the couple got this place (in a very poor location with a transient problem every single day), and were set back right out of the gate when the previous owner took just about everything in the place….napkins, sugar packets, cream, you name it. So, they've had a tough go. But, by golly, when the gun finally sounds you'd better be damned ready. They were not. I hope this changes. They're a good couple and to their everlasting credit…at least they've put some skin in the game and are trying, as opposed to merely writing blogs about it.

Just my opinion (and based on a lot of years of study in this field).

3. Avatar Gerrine says:

This is a real eye opener. Thanks. Can't wait to go there.

4. Avatar Sheila Barnes says:

Sounds wonderful. I don't think I ever visited that location when it was other restaurants, but I will definitely try Sweeties!

5. Avatar Name says:

I think they hired some of the help that worked at AJ's – that is a plus.

I went there a few days after it opened, so they were still working out issues, but it was pretty darn good. I think I ordered a psatrami or corned beef sandwich. It was good.

Maybe the menu should be posted on the Menu Mecca, or is that a pay to play deal?

6. Avatar Michael Allison says:

Thanks for the review on Sweeties. We drive by, and it doesnt look so impressive from the outside. Oftentimes really good restaurants dont look that great, but have excellent food. Looks like Sweeties might be one of those. A restaurant that makes a great breakfast at a good price is a wonderful thing. And it looks like they have several choices for non-meat-eaters, like my wife. That is smart, as well as healthy. Consider Wilda's, that tiny place on Placer near the Post Office, that is just open for lunch. They have three delicious vegetarian choices on their menu, really fresh produce, and good prices. The place is constantly full, and deservedly so. So I commend Sweeties for thinking of our vegetarian friends. Even though I still eat meat, I recognize that eating less of it would be better for my heart and the environment. So, we will be trying Sweeties soon. That salmon salad looks awesome.

• Avatar Astaria says:

Michael,

Your response could have been written by MY husband! ๐Ÿ™‚

I am also a vegetarian and he is so considerate of my food choices. He has also cut way back on his meat intake.

We frequent Jimiz Southwest Grill, 2633 Park Marina Drive in Redding. While there are only about 3 listed vegetarian items on the menu, they are more than willing to "create" other choices for me. They also have a meatless sauce and black beans (which are completely free of any meat item, to include bacon). Everything is also fresh and made from scratch. Well, maybe not the rice. They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My husband LOVES the food also. Jimiz might be a place to try. I highly recommend it for all vegetarians and those who hang out with us! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar Michael Allison says:

Hey Astaria! Thanks for the tip. We will try Jimiz soon. Always looking for good vegetarian cooking.

• Avatar Astaria says:

Michael,

Your response could have been written by MY husband! ๐Ÿ™‚

PS: My husband says "ditto"! He highly recommends the green enchilada sauce!

7. Avatar Matt Grigsby says:

I went there for lunch today based on this review and you were spot-on. We loved it! I had the pulled pork and it was tender and juicy and amazing.

Thanks for sharing this place!

8. Avatar NSS says:

Attended a car show where Sweeties had a catering booth! Yum! Can't wait to try the restaurant! Coach Bob sounds jaded! Let's give this great young couple a chance to work out the kinks…..their food is delicious!

9. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyde says:

My husband and I recently visited Sweeties. The food was excellent.

Coach Bob had some excellent ideas about….no wait. He just complained about the lake of waitstaff during busy times. Maybe he can lend his expertise to worker scheduling.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

No, Joanne, you didn't read where I complained about the lack of waitstaff during busy times! Re-read and then re-post. You added that bit about "busy" to make your story fit.

What I said was, tables of 4 and 6 have gotten up and left because of the following:

1) They weren't "addressed" after being seated with so much as a "We'll be right with you". They just sat and waited and waited. In this business people are willing to wait a considerable amount of time if they're just acknowledged initially. Let 'em know they exist to you. Especially a group of 4 or 6. Hell, they can chat together and enjoy their company. Just acknowledge them.

2) It wasn't busy! It's simply that this server couldn't handle more than two (2) tables. TWO tables! She was hoping for the long-time waitress to cover for her. No training, no experience. File this under "sink or swim".

3) As I said before, these people will not return!

Now, you folks that blog here don't seem to understand what it takes to open a business. I suspect (suspect!) none of you have a business of your own to understand this. When you buy into a biz you must do your "due diligence" as to the condition of the place, the equipment, etc. If you're in the dark about this then you're in big trouble. My feeling is this young couple didn't "due diligence" and got caught up in a 3 month delay. Now, you can color that any way you want, but 3 months is a kiss of death to many businesses. This place had regular customers that, after 3 months, got to visit other places and get to like them. Not good. Let's hope they return.

Lastly, you don't open a business because you "know how to cook". You need to understand the biz and understand people! Customers. You don't open the doors and then "learn how". You'd better know how NOW! That's why folk are getting up and leaving. Inability to handle a small crowd.

I also enjoy the food. I enjoy the regulars. I enjoy the couple that bought the place and wish them the very best (I think some of you read what you WANT to read instead of the words on the page). I said in a previous blog here that I've seen failure after failure (this is one of the worst businesses to get into especially if unprepared). I've also see a green rookie buy a biz (in Palo Cedro), not having a clue what to do, hang in the kitchen cause they were fearful of facing customers, and yet, YET, manage to hang in there and turn it around and do extremely well! This is a success story. But it's a RARE story of success.

So, get a grip folks. Enjoy the food, chat with the owners, refer your friends. But when you read what is intended to be "constructive criticism", a view from someone with considerable study in this restaurant field, and who, at the same time, gives credit when and where due, don't go getting your panties in a wad, please. I don't know how many times I can say I hope they succeed. Simply put. This is a tough business. And I suspect EasternShastaCounty is related to these folks (no foul there). But, I'm gonna scroll down and reply to their latest attack.

Thanks for reading this far (if you did).

CoachBob

• Avatar Barb says:

Coach, I have been in the food service biz for years and I whole heartedly agree with you. So many people have asked me to open a restaurant, and my response is, YOU open a restaurant! Its the hardest and yes most rewarding, business out there. You have to be "on" all the time. NO bad moods, no sore back, no tired feet. Smile, and thank you. I am an amazing cook who knows I have no desire to work 16-18 hours a day as my family has in the past who owned restaurants I worked in! All that matters is the customers perception. I will even OVERPAY if the service is amazing. But if its bad, there is no amount of generous food or good tastes that will bring me back! I did not see negativity in your post, just honesty and as you said, constructive criticism to help them succeed!

10. Avatar EasternShastaCounty says:

There was no "Reply" box on Coach Bob's latest complaint; so I"ll start a new response. The previous owners left the kitchen in much-to-be-desired condition. It was a very old building, after all. That three-month delay in opening was due to not only replacing the napkin holders and sugar packets but also to refurbishing the kitchen with upgraded appliances — not to mention a good scrubbing. Having managed a hospital kitchen, Roque wanted the inspectors to find a place that met the same exacting standards that are required for hospitals — and he succeeded. All that takes time. It's regretable that Coach Bob felt the three-month delay in opening was too long and that he had an unfortunate experience with the service. I realize I'm prejudiced because I know the hours Roque and Tif spent shaping up the restaurant — and how little sleep they got during those three months — but I'm in their cheering section and will remain there knowing that the bumps in the road will be ironed out.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

"It's regretable (sic) that Coach Bob felt the three-month delay in opening was too long and that he had an unfortunate experience with the service."

Okay, Eastern, I'll bite!

Regrettable? REGRETTABLE? So, let me get this straight: So, you think it was OKAY? COOL?

You are going way out of your way to smooth over every possible mistake that can be made opening a restaurant. Regrettable? Regrettable that some (not myself) had an unfortunate experience with the service? You absolutely MUST be kidding! Right? Please say this is in jest.

Rocky (the pronunciation of "Roque") and Tiff will put in long hours. It's the restaurant business. That's what happens. That's what you buy….you buy a "job". Let's hope it's profitable.

Lastly, the previous owner raped the place. I do believe I stated that in previous posts here. I was in there the last two days prior to the "take-over". No sugar for my coffee….no cream. Taken to Anderson. Strikes me as tacky at best. That's one of the reasons you "inventory" everything…put in writing exactly what stays and what goes. R&T were done a very bad turn by this jerk. Sorry to hear it (but it does seem to go with the restaurant biz…imo).

I hope you're right about them working out the bumps. But just remember, when you walk into any restaurant, the servers had better see $$$ (dollar signs) in their eyes each and every time. They need to hear "cha-ching" with every door that opens. If they don't, then they don't understand what their job is. It's about the customer! Not the food….the customer and the service they receive. People can put up with a lot if the service is there, if they're treated like they want them to be there, and respect that they're spending their money in the place. The coffee and the food can be mediocre if they are just treated like you truly want them there with their money. Customers "vote" with their wallets. Not with their warm and fuzzy hearts.

• Femme de Joie Femme de Joie says:

Dear CoachBob,

Thank you for your interesting comments and for the benefit of your extensive experience.

Sweetie's is now in the hands of the new owners and we hope and trust that they will do whatever they need to do to succeed.

“People do not seem to realise that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character.”

? Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks for commenting,

Femme de Joie

• Avatar EasternShastaCounty says:

One final comment. Two actually. Sorry about the "regretable" typo. And, no, I'm not related to Roque and Tif. I'm a sometime neighbor who has benefitted greatly by knowing them.

Lovely comment, Femme de Joie.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

Yes, it was a nice comment. And, I hope we all benefit by knowing them. They are a nice couple.

• Avatar CoachBob says:

Almost forgot, tried to go in this morn (Monday) and it seemed closed. Never been closed on a Monday before. Don't understand this ….

• Avatar CoachBob says:

I wonder if Ralph ever owned a restaurant? (lol)

• My sister and I had breakfast at Sweetie's on Sunday. I had the eggs benedict, which was, as Femme de Joie said, absolutely delicious. The fresh tomatoes were grilled, a nice touch, and the hollandaise was light and flavorful. My twin had the French toast, which was also terrific. Re the hours, I checked Femme de Joie's column before we left, which is where we learned it was closed Monday. Plus, there's a sign on the door with Sweetie's hours, and the Monday closure. Pretty clear. No mystery. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar Roque says:

Thank you Bob for all your comments. I do value everyone’s "opinion". As for some of the "speculations" you have posted about the actions of the last owners when they left, the 3 month remodel or about our experience, well you can talk to me in person. I am a very good listener and enjoy talking with those who seem to care so much about our business. Remember, "You can't say Sweetie's without a smile"!

๐Ÿ™‚

• Avatar CoachBob says:

You're right, I just tried it…."Sweeties" and I smiled! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll admit I'm a little jaded re: the previous owner. Did not like how he handled the business (or "didn't" handle it) for years and years. And when I saw what was happening I was more than disturbed. Felt bad for you guys.

As I stated over and over (above) I hope you succeed…in spades.

(Oh, and for the record, re Doni's comment…when you go in a place for years, virtually every day, you don't look for the hours of operation…my bad, shouldn't have assumed.)

11. Avatar Name says:

OK, I went there again and I will just say this: Don't go there unless the owners are there, it not even slightly worth it…

12. Avatar KarenC says:

I was so happy to see this review as we are going for breakfast, with friends, on Thursday of this week. Thanks for the great review, you always do a super job of it.

13. Avatar KarenC says:

I also forgot to mention….Hey Coach….at the bottom of the article it says closed on Mondays. See you in chat! ๐Ÿ˜‰

14. Avatar KarenC says:

We went to Sweetie's yesterday with friends. We all had a good breakfast. I ordered an omelet with Spinach, mushrooms and bacon. It was very tasty and cooked well. I ordered the rancho beans to go with it instead of the potatoes and they were excellent. Our waitress was Jane, and she is charming, attentive, and always had a smile for us. The other lady with us ordered the eggs benedict made with the garden tomato instead of ham, and she loved it. It is refreshing to see a restaurant using the Farmer's Market produce.

The fellows made comments on how good the country potatoes were.

Since one of the owners is a trained pastry chef, I was looking for some delicious pastries to try, but I did not notice any on the menu or on the counter. Perhaps I was too busy chatting with friends and missed it. I want to go back and try some of the other items that caught my eye.

15. Avatar Patty M. says:

I'll put this on my list of restaurants to try. Sounds good!!

16. Avatar EasternShastaCounty says:

As time and funds allow, the owners hope to replace at least part of the short counter with a display case for Tif's pastries. When I was there for breakfast, there was a covered "cake" plate on the counter next to the cash register with some of Tif's muffins.

17. Avatar Jisan Nathan says:

The food items of Sweetie’s Restaurant are so interesting. Looking this Sweetie’s Restaurant food preview I am so impressed. It is actually so tasty and healthy. A big thank dude for sharing this article. Keep it up…

houston open mic nights

18. Avatar John Reit says:

I grew up in Redding in the restaurant business. I started washing dishes with my older cousin when I was 5. We never took a vacation as a family, one parent always stayed home to run the businees and the other took my brother and I on our trips/outings. But it was a good time back then for independent restaurants.

I meet Tif and Roque at a meeting of our barbque club. I hit on the fact that they had both attended western Culinary Institute in Portland. My son also attended that school and I am familiar with their training. I notice that things were somewhat confuse at the opening and especially the new cash register system and yes Tif was a little green at being a waitress. I have since eaten there several time and things are looking better. I can tell their culinary traing shows in their sauces/gravy. The hollendaise and sausage gravy are good. I am sure in time they will develop their menu to include more homemade items. I can see improvement every time I go there. Roque and I discuss suppliers and and quality of ingredients when I go there. He is always willing to listen and try to improve. I say hurrah for the young couple and good luck. I will continue to support their efforts with constructive suggestions and patronage.

19. Avatar CoachBob says:

" I will continue to support their efforts with constructive suggestions and patronage."

******************

As will I. Good blog!

20. Avatar Richard says:

I enjoyed reading all the reviews for Sweetie's last evening, and decided to take my "sweetie" there for breakfast this morning. Coach Bob's constructive criticism must have really caught their attention, for we were immediately greeted and seated, promptly provided with menus, and asked about our beverage preferences. The place is very clean and really sparkles, the wait staff were friendly and efficient, and our food was outstanding. The Fair Theresa had the ham and eggs with country potatoes and a pancake, and I enjoyed the country fried steak with eggs, country potatoes, and an English muffin. The portions were ample and well-presented, and we felt that the prices were quite reasonable. Not only will we return to try their lunch menu, but will take friends with us as well. Highly recommended.

RC

21. Avatar John Reit says:

I went back to Sweeties yesterday and took wife Marilyn along. We got there at 10 minutes after 12 noon and the place was packed. It looked like everybody had just got in ahead of us and sat down to order. I knew it was going to take a little extra time to get fed and it did but we were not in a hurry. I order eggs benedict and Marilyn had the small California omlet with fruit instead of potatoes. The fruit cup is a nice touch. Made of cut up fresh strawberries and cantalope it fit well with my wife how is watching her carb intake. The eggs benedict was good as always and wife said her omlet was the best she ever had. The eqq was cooked perfectly and the ingedients were prepared well also. I noticed my eggs had the bright orange yolk of a local free range chicken.

Sweeties is going to cater Albert Ocasions farm tour and bruch next weekend. Albert is a local grower who lives in Churn Creek Bottom and has this event for the public once a year. There are flyers on the counter at Sweeties if you are interested. Should be a fun day.

22. Avatar Dave Rowney says:

Had a nice breakfast there this AM. Only wish for an espresso machine!

23. Avatar Michael Allison says:

We finally got over to Sweeties, and it was terrific. I got the fajita omelette, and my wife, the vegetarian, got the eggs benedict with fresh tomatoes. The tomatoes were amazing, and the eggs were super fresh, with dark yolks. I always like to see that. The food was great, but by far the most notable feature of the restaurant was the service. The guy who waited on us was personable, and very attentive. Our coffee cups never got to the bottom. The place is clean and simple inside. It will be great to have good breakfast place on the west side of town. (Its hard to beat The Country Kitchen, on the east side.)

24. Avatar James says:

AWESOME FOOD! I had a Reuben sandwich, and my wife had a Patty Melt! They were so good… we wanted seconds… but we were too stuffed! LOL! Good Job!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Great Service… and I will be coming back, again, and again!!!

One of the best kept secrets in Redding!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Five out of five stars!!!