This July, master ceramic potter and college instructor Paul Rideout (Palul) will lead a two-week pottery class introducing students to the use of clay and its history. Beginner to experienced students will be shown methods of creating hand-built art and/or functional pieces with clay.
Classes meet from 8:30-11:30 a.m., four times the first week and two times the second week at Palul’s private studio in Redding. Space is limited to 10 students, ages 12 & up, though parents may be present.
Tuition is $85 and includes:
- materials: clay (up to 25 pounds), underglazes, glazes
- use of tools and equipment
- kiln firings (bisque and glaze)
- ceramics instruction manual
- Tuesday, July 12: Intro to Basic Clay/ History, Hand Built Techniques – Pinch and coil
- Wednesday, July 13: Slab constructions – introduction to slab roller, forms and textures
- Thursday, July 14: Decoration – textures, slips and carving clay
- Friday, July 15: Finish pieces and prepare for bisque (hardening) fire
- Tuesday, July 19: Review process, glazing basics, decoration of bisque fired pieces using underglazes and glazes, prepare for glaze firing
- Wednesday, July 20: Kiln opening, post-fire discussion, and pot luck brunch
Six classes; sorry, no refunds. For more information, call (530) 241-5003 or email: email@example.com. Note: This is not a potter’s wheel class.
-from press release
A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Greenberg, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.