Young for Supervisor: Let’s Open for Business

shasta-county-primary-race-2010

Candidate statement from Chris Young, for Shasta County Supervisor District 5

The focus of my campaign is threefold:

1. Jobs and economic development

2. Public Safety

3. Private property rights

I am a strong advocate of job creation and economic development. A good jobs base creates funds for the County and influences all other aspects of our daily life. We need County government to reduce the roadblocks to business development and expansion. We need an environment that is conducive to the expansion of business. Local government needs to have an attitude that they want to help you navigate the maze of regulations that impede growth. I will always work towards fewer restrictions and lower fees.

When we can back up the perception that we are open for business we need to promote Shasta County to the world via every means available. We cannot cut funding to the Economic Development Corporation. When business is good – advertise. When business is bad – advertise more.

We need to promote more and promote smarter. It would make more sense to spend time and funds on promoting Shasta County as the right place to move your business than to write grants and beg for “one time” funding of government positions. Why don’t we have a dozen web sites promoting Shasta County as the place to live, work, play, and retire? The cost is minimal, the return could be huge. I will tirelessly promote Shasta County.

Our quality of life is directly proportionate to prioritizing support for law enforcement and the essential services of the District Attorney’s office, Probation Department, and support for our paid and volunteer firefighters. We must fund the Sheriff’s Department to a level that will keep deputies on the streets and lake. We must keep the jail open and stop the ‘revolving door’ that has allowed repeat offenders to commit crimes twice in the same day.

Private property rights have always been a main concern of mine. The American Dream of owning land and home is eroding. Bureaucrats continually chip away at our private property rights. I believe you should be able to use and enjoy your land and home as you see fit with little government interference. If you want to start a business, build, subdivide, grow or cut trees, etc. and you do not have an adverse effect on your neighbors or the environment, local government should be there to help you succeed.

In recent years there has been an effort to add a tax to each parcel of land and use the funds to improve Interstate 5. This is a state and federal issue. We need to ‘Fix District 5 before we fix I-5.’ I will work to have our tax dollars improving Gas Point Road and Ponderosa Road, providing safe access to our schools, before we send one more cent to Sacramento or Washington D.C.

I have been involved in the community for the past 30 years as a successful businessman, entrepreneur and volunteer. For six years I have served on the Redding Planning Commission, this last year as chairperson. I believe service on a planning commission is a prerequisite to running for any public office. The education and experience you receive is invaluable.

I am an active, working member of Anderson Rotary, on the board of Friends of Shasta District Fair, and work daily to improve opportunities for our youth and workforce.

My wife, Michelle Theobald Young, and I have raised four children here and have two grandchildren.

I can be reached at 530.221.9653 and Chris@Young4Five.com
Please visit my website www.Young4Five.com and review the list of my supporters. Feel free to ask them why they support my campaign.

Please consider voting for Chris Young, District 5 Supervisor. Thank you.

...

1. Avatar Andar says:

"Why don’t we have a dozen web sites promoting Shasta County as the place to live, work, play, and retire? "

Duh, cause we don't want to live in another spawling city like LA and protect our unique environment?

2. Avatar Patty Gomez says:

I was sad to read Chris Young's message. He appears to be a relatively young man and yet he is promoting the ancient, and outdated message that we need to exploit our land and and resources for profit. The recent tragedy in the gulf of Mexico is a reminder that we are interdependent with the land and water. if one is harmed, all are harmed. The old idea that the earth is something separate from us to be used and exploited is an idea that will lead to our eventual demise. There is no "over there." Everything is connected and eventually the law of cause and effect hits us all. I wish that Chris could see that the "resource" to be "exploited" in Shasta County is the fragile beauty of our streams and lakes, our meadows and forests. These are things that people travel from all over the world to experience. We have the finest fishing and hiking and kayaking in the country. We must preserve this land at any cost. Jobs are important, but take a look at what is happening to jobs in Louisiana as a result of the rampant greed of BP and the corruption of the government agency that oversees the oil industry. .

I will not vote for Chris Young. I hope that he will take a close look at his motives and think about the long term effect of his actions on his grandchildren and the future of this magical place called Shasta County.

Patty Gomez

Shingletown, CA

3. Avatar Bryan Hill says:

Chris Young doesn't get it. We don't have southern California's economy because we dont have southern California's location. 2/3 of the people living west of the Rockies live closer to LA than to Redding. The cost of shipping product out of Redding to this population would be more than twice the cost of shipping out of LA due to the increased ton-miles travelled and the transportation industry's economy of scale.

This, not government regulation, is why economic development opportunities are limited here. Nothing Chris is going to do will result in more jobs here unless is going to move Shasta County to LA. Maybe the job creation he's talking about is a job for himself because Real Estate isn't working now.

He has served 6 years on the Redding Planning Commission and he still doesn't understand why we do planning. His position is that people should be able to do whatever they want with their land. The problem is that what one person does affects the property values of all those around them. We have government regulation to ensure that all people's private property rights are preserved. The government's "interference" increases as population increases. He should know that by now.

4. Avatar BIff says:

Chris Young is a great choice for Supervisor; if you've ever seen him in action as a Planning Commissioner you know that he's bright and sees the value in supporting local businesses and the public in general. He's representing the public very well; folks like you and me. We need an advocate to question local government; to ask the right questions. If you have any doubts, catch a Redding Planning Commission meeting and see for yourself.

• Avatar Chris Young says:

Thanks Blff.

People who know me know I am not interested in bringing Southern California to the North State.

When I talk about road blocks to job creation and business expansion I'm talking about things like a coffee shop in the east county that was held up for months during construction, costing them tens of thousands while then waited. I'm talking about 2 recycling businesses that have not opened because of regulations that have no purpose in Shasta County.

I want to see mom-and-pop local business grow and expand in our rural communities. I want Patty Gomez to be proud of her Shingletown community and be able to live and work there. I want there to be enough fire suppression water pressure in Shingletown to allow shops and restaurants to open and trade with the tourists who come from all over the planet to see Lassen Park. I want Big Wheels to be able to build and re-open.

When some of these posters see the word business they immediately think mega-corp and pave-the-world. I don't.

Chris Young

5. Avatar Educate Me says:

Like the platform… wish I could vote for him. Would like to see the word "sustainable" included in the mix.

6. Avatar JS says:

Chris: Would you have voted for or against the Auto Mall in the Churn Creek bottom?

7. Avatar Bryan Hill says:

Mr. Young, I notice the lack of specifics about the business delays. You say that regulations caused the delays. We only have your opinion on the matter. Your vote on the Bikeway plan in your city demonstrated your inability to understand even simple issues. Your vote on that plan was illogical. Your stated position on land use regulation demonstrates your inability to understand the elementary principles of those issues even after 6 years on the City of Redding Planning Commission. So how are we to know whether or not your opinions of the alleged offending regulations is either factually based or logically formed?