Hope you didn’t have outdoor plans for Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Another storm is blowing through Redding today, making it a good day to stay indoors and read anewscafe.com.
Today’s bluster is the latest in a series of storms riding the jet stream in from the Pacific. The storms are predicted for the next two to three weeks and bring much-needed precipitation to Northern California. Lots of rain and wind in the valley, with highs reaching only the 40s every day, and big snow expected in the mountains. For details, click on our Redding Weather Now box to the left.
The city of Redding is offering FREE sandbags to residents, and the city is keeping crews on alert throughout the stormy period, ready to respond to downed power lines, clogged storm drains and other emergencies.
Sand and bags are available at Fire Station No. 4 on South Bonnyview Road and at the City Corporation Yard on Viking Way near Highway 44. Residents must fill and haul the bags themselves.
To report clogged storm drains and flooding, call 224-6068 at any hour. To report downed power lines, call 245-7000.
- The Salvation Army Corps of Redding and the Shasta Area Red Cross have formed “Shasta Cares” to jointly collect donations to help the survivors of the horrific Haiti earthquake. Contributions will be accepted at all Tri-Counties Bank branches. For more info, call Ron Largent at 248-5601.
- They Fired All the Copy Editors, Part XXXVII: In Sunday’s edition of the local paper, an article describes a local minister thusly: His signature look is dressy casual: Buttoned-up collared shirts — untucked — paired with fashionable blue jeans and shiny shoes with rectangular-framed glasses and slicked-back gray hair. Man, those are some elaborate shoes. I need me some shoes with glasses and hair.
- It’s audition season at Shasta College, and various groups are seeking new members: The Community Concert Band, the Community Chorale, the Shasta College Youth Symphony and the Shasta Symphony Orchestra. Also, the theatre department is holding auditions for its spring play, “Pinocchio Twice Fooled.” For info on all these events, click here.
- Monday Morning QB: The upstart New York Jets (rookie quarterback, first-year coach) upset the Chargers to reach the AFC championship game against the Colts, who beat the Ravens to advance. In the NFC, the Vikings thumped the Cowboys and the Saints defeated the Cardinals. Good matchups for the conference championship games next Sunday. Much more here.
- Rules for Successful Living #18: When fishing something out of the garbage disposal, be very careful about which light switch you flip. Trust me.
Tips appreciated: Send news tidbits to firstname.lastname@example.org.