Coronavirus Daydreams and Nightmares

Editor's note: If you appreciate posts like this and want ANC to continue publishing similar content, become a paid subscriber for as little as $1.35 a month.

Gentleman prefer nitrile rubber gloves.

As of this writing, the Shasta County Health and Human Services Agency reports it has tested just 62 people for novel coronavirus in Shasta County. Sixty-one tested negative and just one person tested positive, a travel-related case who has since recovered from COVID-19, the respiratory illness caused by the virus.

The patient remains self-isolated at home as do millions of other Californians in the wake of the state’s “stay-at-home” order issued last Thursday, including a good portion of Shasta County’s population.

(UPDATE: A second Shasta County resident has tested positive for COVID-19.)

For those of us who’ve instantly lost some or most of our income to the global pandemic and the efforts of federal, state and local governments to stop the spread of COVID-19, it’s tempting to ask, “Hey, what’s the big deal? Just one positive case, travel-related, the dude lived. Looks like Shasta County dodged the coronavirus bullet! Let’s get back to work!”

Not so fast, coronavirus daydreamer!

Divide the 62 people who’ve been tested in Shasta County by the 180,000 people who live here, and the quotient is so infinitesimally small, a ten-thousandth of one percent, we might as well say no one has been tested in Shasta County. America has a coronavirus testing shortage and rural communities have been left waiting at the end of the line.

Until testing is dramatically ramped up and we have a clearer picture of the virus in Shasta County, the state’s stay-at-home order should be followed. No one should go back to work in an occupation declared “non-essential” if doing so risks catch COVID-19 or spreading it in the community.

It goes without saying that healthcare providers, law enforcement personnel, grocery store and gas station employees and other workers deemed “essential” should refuse to work if not provided with the proper personal protection equipment for interfacing with potentially infected individuals.

For a coronavirus reference point, I personally chose to stop substitute teaching on March 10, my 60th birthday, the same day the Centers for Disease Control warned Americans that the coronavirus is particularly lethal to the Baby Boomer demographic.

The CDC advised my age group to socially distance themselves from large groups, including school settings, to prevent catching coronavirus and dying prematurely. I was happy to oblige.

At the time, according to worldometers.info, 120,000 people worldwide had tested positive for COVID-19 and 4300 people had died from it. As of this writing, 320,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and 14,000 have died.

Here at home, ten days ago, 1000 Americans had tested positive from COVID-19 and 30 had died. As of this writing, 27,000 Americans have tested positive and 350 have died.

And this just in: Two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Siskiyou County, two cases in Yuba County and one in Butte County.

Novel coronavirus isn’t coming to the north state. It’s already here; it’s been here for weeks. Don’t panic when Shasta County’s case numbers go up exponentially in the coming days as testing ramps up.

Stay cool, stay calm and above all stay at home except for essential trips.

When I first pulled myself out of substitute teaching two weeks ago, I had these notions about all the things I’d be getting done now that I wasn’t working full time.

I’d get an early start on the garden, which is going to be vital this plague year. I’d expand the defensible space around the house before fire season returns. I’d do much-needed maintenance on the car, truck and the chainsaws.

For now, those notions remain just idle daydreams. Instead, I spent the first week of my self-imposed exile online, obsessively tracking COVID-19’s relentless spread across Italy and Spain and throughout most of Europe.

The week saw New York overtake Washington state as the nation’s coronavirus epicenter. New York currently has 12,000 cases and 76 deaths compared to 1800 cases and 94 deaths in Washington.

California presently sits at No. 3 on the list, with 1500 cases and 28 deaths. Those cases and deaths are on the rise and are currently clustered around the Bay Area and the Los Angeles area. The purpose of Gov. Gavin Newsom’s shutdown is to flatten the curve of COVID-19 infections so the state’s hospital system isn’t swamped by an exponential growth in severe cases.

I live in Whitmore, in the forested foothills 30 miles east of Redding. My “essential travel” has so far been limited to a trip into town once or twice a week, to run errands for my parents and pick up various supplies.

Neither I nor my parents have any COVID-19 symptoms, and we’re aiming to keep it that way. The state’s saying more than half of us, 20 million people, may test positive. We want to remain in the other half.

For the past two weeks, whenever I go shopping, I put on a pair of nitrile rubber gloves before entering the store and dispose of them in the parking lot waste basket after leaving the store.

I find it’s easier to not touch your face when you’re wearing gloves. People tend to stay away from you as well, which is a good thing nowadays! The gloves provide an extra layer of protection from coronavirus lurking on surfaces such as door handles, grocery carts and shelf items, which is why I peel mine off before I get back in the car.

I wash my hands immediately upon arriving home and my girlfriend sprays our packaged goods with a 70 percent alcohol solution. We have been taking novel coronavirus seriously.

My favorite coronavirus daydream is that we’ll all obey the state’s “stay-at-home” order and for once Shasta County’s remoteness will work in our favor. As far as anyone knows right now, there are no confirmed cases of community-spread novel coronavirus in the county.

The sooner we can ramp up testing and declare COVID-19 has been contained in Shasta County, the sooner we can all get back to work.

Ideally, this would be part of an integrated, fully funded federal, state and local government effort to contain and mitigate novel coronavirus in the United States. It would all be over in two months or so with minimal death and hardship. Everybody would be made whole again with a big fat government check.

A glimpse of our future?

Then there’s my coronavirus nightmare scenario, which is pretty much the opposite of the above and more in line with reality.

COVID-19 doesn’t care about national, state and county lines, it’s a virus. It doesn’t care about shit. In part because of lack of testing, it’s now spread to all 50 states in the union, not to mention 140 countries around the globe.

In this pandemic scenario every action any government takes is by definition too late to contain the virus. It’s already on the loose, everywhere. We are the world and we are its oyster and we are screwed until someone comes up with a vaccine for this thing.

That vaccine, the experts say, is 18 months away, unless we get lucky.

I got a free preview of this nightmarish future last week, my second week in coronavirus isolation. I’d made up my mind to finally get to that garden and ranch work in the morning when I woke up to eight inches of snow. That happens at my altitude every now and then.

Snowflakes were falling in thick curtains, making outside work out of the question, so I jumped on the internet. I was happy to discover almost all of the local school districts had canceled regular classes, not because of the snow, but because of the coronavirus.

It was the right call. Better late than never.

I surfed the net for a while, indulging my coronavirus obsession, which during the past two weeks has also included the video streaming of “The Stand,” “Outbreak,” “Re-Genesis,” “Contagion,” “Containment,” “The Return of the Living Dead,” and the truly prophetic “Nostradamus and the Seven Seals.”

All of a sudden, my always reliable locally provided internet service started going out for large chunks of time. “Coronavirus?” I chuckled to myself, chalking it up to the snowstorm. “Guess I’ll do a little writing.”

The instant I booted up Microsoft Word the electricity went out in Whitmore.

Later I learned someone had skidded off the slippery road and taken out the main power pole to Whitmore during the snowstorm. At the time I imagined the electricity had gone out because the power plant operators hadn’t showed up for work. The schools were shuttered, the operators had to stay home and watch their kids.

I was getting a little ahead of myself. Imagine my terror. No internet. No video. No electricity. Out here in the middle of nowhere.

I managed to hold out for two hours before I cranked up the propane-powered generator and the secular threesome were immediately restored. A PG&E crew put in a new pole and power was restored to Whitmore by the next day.

But, man! Eighteen months from now? Will there be anyone left to do the work?

The scariest thing about that question is no one can say for sure what’s going to happen in the next 18 months, because there’s too many damned variables. That’s why Wall Street has gone topsy-turvy.

It’s clear to me that COVID-19 is extremely lethal. If the fatality rate ranges from 1 percent to 3.5 percent and it spreads across California, infecting half the population, the expected death toll would be 200,000 to 700,000 people statewide.

The expected death toll in Shasta County would be 900 to 3150.

If novel coronavirus infects half of earth’s 7.7 billion inhabitants, 77 million to 270 million people could die.

The stock market is pricing in these deaths. Why else would the DOW plummet from near 30,000 points to just under 20,000 during the past two weeks? It’s lost fully one-third of its value, despite trillions of dollars being injected into the market by the Federal Reserve, which also cut its overnight lending interest rate to zero?

Trillions of dollars of economic stimulus. No effect!

Why?

Because in order to sell widgets, you need people to make widgets and you need people to buy widgets. The global supply of widget-makers and widget-buyers is in serious question! It’s a supply-and-demand shock of spectacular magnitude rippling across our economically entangled planet.

For now, the safest thing to do is follow the state’s “stay-at-home” order.

To repeat: Stay cool, stay calm and above all stay at home except for essential trips. FYI, beer runs are essential trips.

R.V. Scheide
R.V. Scheide has been a northern California journalist for more than 20 years. He appreciates your comments and story ideas. He can be emailed at RVScheide@anewscafe.com.

1. Avatar Urban Prophet says:

Here is another coronavirus nightmare scenario … You end up homeless RV with the last of your worldly possessions in a backpack joining hundreds if not thousands on the Shasta County Library lawn

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Hi Chris. I suppose the same thing could happen to you, although I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

2. Avatar Common Sense says:

In New York City they say 9 months now to get through this Virus. I am thinking you stand a MUCH better chance up there on that hill! Perhaps this is Mother Natures way of saying….guys….you have not headed the warnings…..you need to take a time out! Stop polluting the creeks and streams and oceans and air.Stop worshiping the dollar….you can’t eat the dollar bill when everything runs out. Perhaps it’s a time to take a step back…..go within……re evaluate?

Now I don’t wish this Virus on anyone…..no one. But as the Native American Medicine Man/Chief said to the United Nations 15 years ago……. ” We are good people….and we have a problem! White Man can’t continue the way they are doing things! Have you noticed the increase in fires/earthquakes/floods and rains?? Have you noticed the people that need water aren’t getting any and those that don’t need the waters are getting flooded out??…the Earth Will be here in the future. The Question is…..Will Man??? It’s called Value Change For SURVIVAL guys.”

Back to basics…..your own land…..grow as much of your own food as possible….Solar Power with Propane Gen Backup……High Speed Internet with Starlink when it comes out and sit back and relax…….ahhhhh

Stay safe everyone…..disposable gloves….hand sanitizer and limit the trips to the stores….just saying…..we get through this…….but we have a ways to go to get to the end of the tunnel.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I certainly hope novel coronavirus isn’t divine retribution, because we’ve had it coming for a long time.

3. Avatar john says:

Want a good book? “Earth Abides” by George Stewart

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Thanks! I was going to mention all the crappy virus books I’ve read on Kindle Unlimited, but didn’t want to upset the authors. I need a good book!

4. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Welcome to the 60+ club, R.V.! I broke the tape a year ago.

Israeli doctor Gai Peleg, helping fight COVID-19 in Parma Italy, yesterday told Israeli TV: “Things are only getting worse as the number of patients keeps growing. There are not enough respirators. We no longer help those over 60.”

I made a short trip into town yesterday for the first time in a week. I only made contact with one person (unavoidable for the chore at hand), and even that felt a bit reckless. I did drive around town just to get a feel for how civilization is coping. All of AquaGolf’s ~30 hitting bays were full—I have never seen it more than one-third full in the past. (Who knew that a driving range was an essential business?) There were probably 50-60 people there, sharing bays or waiting for them to open. There was zero social distancing on display.

Get ready, friends. The shit is closing in on the fan.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I read the article about the Israeli doctor and thanked God I don’t live in Italy right now. I’d like to think we have a better chance here in less populated Shasta County, but not if everybody thinks coronavirus is an excuse for golfing!

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

From my observations, I’m starting to feel like social isolation is rearranging the deck chairs while the Titanic sinks.

That’s based on my drive around Redding the other day, news accounts of widespread lack of compliance with social isolation advice, the current shape of the growth curve (that’s only going to get worse if we ever catch up on testing, which I’m starting to doubt), and how soft social isolation worked out in Italy.

And the band played on…

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

After reading this morning’s news, with Trump already trying to go back on his 15 day shutdown and the Fed injecting trillions into the stock market to no avail yet again, I’m inclined to agree with you Steve. I am not personally interested in tangling with COVID-19 and intend to protect myself until the vaccine is ready. I hope that’s possible.

5. Avatar Ed Marek says:

Good advice, but you did not mention that all of us should mask up during our (infrequent, non-hording) shopping trips.

N-95 if you have one leftover from past smoke seasons, a cloth mask or bandanna if you don’t.

masking provides substantial protection both to the wearer, and others who need to share the same air, from airborne droplets containing the virus expelled as we breath, talk, cough, etc.

You can wash or sterilize your hands, but not your lungs.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Thanks Ed. I do have a small supply of masks, but I was hesitant to advise the uninfected public to use use them because of shortages that are affecting healthcare workers.

• Avatar Ed Marek says:

At this advanced point in the pandemic it is impossible to identify the “uninfected public”, and we need to assume anyone could be infected.

Among the many examples of gross incompetence shown by the Trump regime during this crises, the failure to be able to provide every American with an N95 protective mask (at a cost of about 50 cents each) is perhaps the worst.

Again, a cloth mask or bandanna which every one has access to is the next best thing, and it is baffling why Americans are not being given the same advice given in those countries who have been far more successful than we have been in containing the pandemic.

Wear a breath mask when required, to protect yourself and others.

6. Avatar Mark D Twitchell says:

I, along with my friend, (and apparently the rest of Shasta County), thought that yesterday would be a good day to take a mountain bike ride. My friend had gone out Saturday and mentioned how many cars were parked at the trailheads on Swasey and on Muletown road, but I didn’t make the connection. We thought that we could get outdoors, get away from people, and give the dogs some exercise. Wrong (at least about the get away from people part)! I’ve been biking on the Hornbeck trail since it was developed. There’s at most maybe 3-4 other cars there, at the trailhead on Quartz Hill Road. Not now, there were maybe 20+ cars there, parked in the parking zone, along the road and everywhere. There were people biking, hiking, riding horses, everywhere. We kept socially distant, as much as possible, but not everybody was doing that. Watching the news this AM and seeing how full the beaches were, and the parks, and seeing how they are telling people not to hike the PCT, so as not to bring the virus to the little mountain towns along the way, I realized that while I’d thought that I was doing my part to slow the spread of this thing, I wasn’t. I’m staying home now, no more bike rides (Sorry, Willie and Lulu). I hope that I’ve learned my lesson and hope that it’s not too late.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

LOL Mark, now I’m glad we didn’t go to our favorite hiking spot, because everybody else had the same idea! Your experience is similar to the experience I had the last day I taught at school. There was just no way to stay clean in that setting. I washed my hands 22 times the last day.

My last essential drive was last Wednesday. I had to take mom and dad’s dog to the vet. The vet has a sign out, “Call us and we’ll come out and get your pet.” I thought it was awesome, but every customer that arrived while I was there ignored the sign and walked right up to the door.

I also noticed that many restaurants remained open, though their parking lots were pretty empty. A lot of people were still stocking up on supplies. I went grocery shopping at Holiday in Palo Cedro, which at 7 pm was out of eggs, milk and potatoes. Almost no one was in the store.

• Avatar Doug Cook says:

I took my dog to the Sundial for a walk yesterday and it was packed, looked like a typical Sunday. I just got furloughed the other day from my job, my wife as a teacher is of course not working either, although she is still getting paid, thank goodness.

• Avatar Liz Zanze says:

I also walked on the bridge last week to see large groups of families with children walking together. I am sad to see people not paying attention to the basic instructions we have all been given. I won’t be going back there anytime soon.

• Avatar Anita says:

She is not working but she is getting PAID? That sounds like some kind of “ism” taking place. Her union got her that contract! Say, thank you CTA!

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Doug, the experience of South Korea and especially Taiwan has shown the importance of temporarily shutting down the schools. I’m glad to hear both you and your wife are staying cool, calm and at home! Stay well!

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I should probably keep this to myself, but here it is: I’ve done plenty of off-trail hiking at Swasey and Whiskeytown. The trick is finding off-trail routes that don’t end at impenetrable walls of chaparral habitat (manzanita especially) but it can be done if you know how to interpret Google Earth imagery, and streams are usually a good bet. If you need a trail, there are miles of rough access roads under and adjacent to PG&E power lines that are little used. Those utility rights-of-way at Whiskeytown and on Forest Service and BLM lands are open to the public.

7. Avatar Ed Marek says:

I should have added that anyone with spare N95 masks should share them with others.

I have only one beat-up smoke-infused mask, but I expect it to be sufficient for the few weekly trips to the store I’ll need to make, until large numbers of N95 masks can be imported from China, which now has massive surplus supplies, having so successfully contained the pandemic there.

Unless of course, Trump mismanages relations with the PRC so severely (E.g. “the Chinese virus”) that they refuse to sell them to us…

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

I’m trying to ignore Trump. If we all do, maybe he’ll go away?

What a disaster this guy is.

• Avatar Rob Belgeri says:

I have a nasty-looking, grayed out N-95 left over from Carr that I wouldn’t dream of giving to anyone else to use. Sits on the upright toolbox in the garage. Is that thing sufficient for an infrequent trip for essentials? Got it when I still had a lawn needed mowing and fire hazard debris I needed to remove for defensible space, notwithstanding all the smoke in the air.

8. Avatar Ed Marek says:

No, he won’t go away, and all of us will now suffer (the rich and politically well-connected, however considerably less so than the rest of us) his disastrous reign.

Tens of thousands, quite possibly hundreds of thousands of Americans, will now pay with their lives for the selfishness, dishonesty, and ignorance of Trump and his supporters.

An accurate commentary on Trump’s mismanagement of America’s vital medical supplies such as N95 masks and ventilators below:

“Save time: Assume Trump is inept and lying

By
    Jennifer Rubin
    Opinion writer
    March 23, 2020 at 4:45 a.m. PDT

President Trump last week told the country he activated the Defense Production Act, which allows the president to retool and redirect factories to make urgently needed equipment and materials in case of emergency.

On March 18, Trump issued an executive order finding, “To ensure that our healthcare system is able to surge capacity and capability to respond to the spread of COVID-19, it is critical that all health and medical resources needed to respond to the spread of COVID-19 are properly distributed to the Nation’s healthcare system and others that need them most at this time.” The order declared that “health and medical resources needed to respond to the spread of COVID-19, including personal protective equipment and ventilators” as well as additional resources could be identified by the secretary of Health and Human Services.

One problem: He set no goal for the production of materials, ordered no factories to be converted and set up no new distribution system so states would not have to fight one another for scarce equipment…”

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

I wonder how many N 95 masks are stored at military bases in America and worldwide?
      As well as ventilators and PPE.

9. Avatar Robert V. Scheide SR. says:

The country is paying the price of electing an idiot for President. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. The President has the authority to order companies to make the necessary medial gear we need, for some unknown reason he has has not used it. He could also control the costs. A surgical mask use to cost .84 now goes for up to $7 and they want to give giant gifts to certain companies. Perhaps they should sell some of the shares they
    bought with the big tax cuts to corporations..

As I write this the Senate is debating the stimulus package, we will get a something throw to us to keep us looking at the give a ways to corporations.

There is a lot to learn from this and I doubt we will learn it fast enough. With politicians retreating to their corners hoping for them to fix the system and it’s many failings. It should become apparent that our participation in Global Economics needs more that a little tweaking .

The news was we might have problems getting our prescriptions because they are made elsewhere. Other critical items are not available such as computer chips ,medical equipment and most of everything else is imported. A long time ago when I was studying all things financial one fact stuck in my mind , “YOU CANNOT HAVE A HEALTHY ECONOMY WITHOUT MANUFACTURING” . So why did we ship 50,000 factories to other countries? This require a one word answer GREED.

It appears that some of the citizens won’t follow a simple request to stay at home. Students flock to Florida for Spring Break and of course they drug their feet in closing. News is some of them have caught the bug.

This is a test of a citizenries ability to follow simple orders. Stay home is a pretty simple order and if we don’t, the end game is not pretty. Italy things have gotten so bad the are having to choose by age and those sixty and above are not being treated.

If your and old duffer like me you are a prime target. I don’t like being a target! Fortunately RV is making sure I don’t go to town for anything. He has taken on the task of going to get things from town.

So be careful , follow the rules , help who you can, even little things like phone calls help.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Offshoring our manufacturing capabilities to the cheapest labor countries, supported by Democrats and Republicans for 40 years, was the beginning of the race to the bottom. We may be about to see the end.

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

So true.
      The federal response has been nothing more than missing.
      Fortunately the states have stepped up to provide a defense.
      Until we see some of the results of congress’ attempts to ease the financial ramifications of the Covoid19 our federal leadership is not there.
      Trump expects credit for anything on the plus side.
      I doubt he’ll accept ant credit for his disaster at leading America today.

10. Avatar Candace says:

I’m finding myself needing to parse and limit what I decide to read, listen to or watch, even here on ANC. I don’t have cable so I limit my tv news viewing to Amanpour & Co (along with the occasional news program on HULU), my radio is tuned to 89.7 and I peruse news on my phone. I’m completely aware of the severity of what’s happening now and what’s coming. My kids are in NY and Chicago and since there’s not a darn thing I can do to help them from here in Redding other than keep in touch with them and offer what comfort I can the non-stop doomsday rhetoric, while true only serves to make me sick with worry when I’m trying my very best to keep busy at home and keep my emotional shit together. I started wearing gloves several weeks back to grocery shop, get gas and have my taxes done. In fact those were my last ventures away from home. I’ve never ordered grocery delivery until yesterday (it comes tomorrow) and never in a million years would I have thought that doing so would be causing me the anxiety I’m feeling. Who’s shopping for me? Are they infected and not aware? Are they following best practices for hand-washing, etc.? I tweaked my order 4 times before purchasing so that most things are prepackaged. That said, how do you wash clamshell containers containing fresh berries, handle and wash frozen goods that you can’t clean and set out? Are disinfectant wipes good enough? I don’t want to spray my food packaging with Lysol. We’re being told to let bags of groceries stand in place for at least several days if possible and/or disinfect them. The app I used does not include a “no contact” option; I have to sign for the groceries. My plan is to have the groceries delivered to my attached garage and wear gloves and my one mask left over from the fire to both sign and unpack my groceries. Then I’ll wash what I can in my garage sink (just read that soap and water is good and washes germs, etc. down the drain which is where we want them). Maybe I’ll mix up a water/alcohol solution in a spray bottle. I’ll likely leave the non-perishables to sit in the bags in the garage for awhile. Sorry this is so long; as I mentioned before I had to put my pet of 11 yrs down a couple of weeks ago, so it’s just me at home. Pets are comforting plus they’ll raptly listen to us talk for hours on end, lol. I’m so completely thankful for ANC providing this platform which for me anyway provides another way of connecting with others as of course I don’t voice these concerns with my children so as not to add to their worries. The last thing I want them to be is burdened with worrying about me but of course they do. I tell them daily that I am perfectly OK which for the most part I am.

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

A strong water/alcohol solution, say 70 percent alcohol, in a spray bottle should be sufficient. Hang in there!

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I don’t know anyone who would think it’s a bad time for you to adopt a new pet, even if it feels too soon. It’s not a great time for being alone.

Hang in there, Candice.

11. Douglas Craig Douglas Craig says:

Thanks as always for your writing RV. It is very helpful as are the comments from Ed and others. Here is another site that tracks new cases and deaths globally. A 17-year-old kid put this together. I find it useful to check each day, even though it is scary and depressing. https://ncov2019.live/data

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Thanks Doug! Yes, that site is called the Coronavirus Dashboard, I follow it (I linked to it in my last story) and the worldometers.info site, which has slightly more usable graphs. Stay healthy doc!

12. Avatar Common Sense says:

Believing everything the Orange Guy says unfortunately has it issues! Poor couple……but the President said…..

R.V> you think he can do time for that “Alternative Fact” when he’s out of office?

• R.V. Scheide R.V. Scheide says:

Good lord, these people were taking aquarium cleaner because it had the same active ingredients as the drug Trump is pushing. Unbelievable.

13. Oh, R.V., I can relate to so much of what you wrote. What bizarre times we’re in. Thank you for expressing both sides of the same coin. I’m afraid to flip it and call it. Who knows how things will end up?

Stay safe, and keep with the awesome safety precautions.

14. Avatar Candace says:

H A Silliman: Another one word comment to follow yours: Exactly.

15. Avatar Anita says:

Since about 66% of Shasta is Trump supporting, that would be 500+ to 2100+ deaths of Conservative Voters. Hmmmmm…… wonder if their loved ones would think differently about government supported healthcare and the inadequacy of the Trump Administration response to CV?

16. Avatar Common Sense says:

Your new T Shirt R.V…..’It’s better on the Hill”……some just don’t want to face the fact that he really Blew this thing. Knowing for up to 2 months that this was a High probability of happening here on our soil and doing nothing.

17. Avatar JW HYATT says:

I just hope our government learns and prepares for the next pandemic , it will happen and it will be worse .