17 Reasons to Love Redding and Shasta County

jefferson_state_flag

I don’t know about you, but It seems to me like hardly a week goes by without some scathing condemnation of Redding in the local media. The latest survey declared our city “unfit for human consumption,” or something like that. Who are the sadists who come up with this stuff? I have no idea. I do, however, think this is a great place to live, and here are 17 reasons why, just off the top of my head.

1. Location, location, location. We are ideally located for the future.

Thanks to global warming and the subsequent sea level rise, we are sitting on potential beach front property.

2. Last is the new first. Pay no attention to these surveys saying

Redding is the worst city ever. It’s just a game to sell advertising. Take pride in being the underdog.

3. You live in Shasta County if anyone asks. Not Redding. We have to clear our fine city’s name first. Shasta is a BANK name.

4. A vibrant cops and robbers economy.

5. Old people are smart, and there are a lot of old people here.

6. Amazon.

7. The best country roads in America.

8. Cable and satellite TV.

9. An enormous faith-based community. Despite what you’ve heard about Jews, Christians, Moslems, Pagans and Aetheists (yes atheism is a faith) they’re all nice people, once you get to know them.

10. A first-class homeless problem. Plenty of work for the aforementioned faith-based community.

11. Sporting Goods Stores. Our selection, from motorsports such as motorcycles, jet skies and snow mobiles, to outdoor sports ranging from running, hiking, hunting, fishing and frisbee golf, is unmatched.

12. Trader Joe’s.

13. Welcome to Cattle Country. Best beef in the world. See for yourself at R&R Meats.

14. Twin Peaks. Between spectacular views of Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta no people have greater claim to the name.

15. Diversity. We are mostly white, but have large Latino and Native American populations. We already have better communication than many communities, and have a great foundation to build upon.

16. Education. We have the best teachers in the state. My younger bro, who graduated from here in 1983, is CTO of a major tech company. My middle bro is a beloved teacher in the Shasta County school district. We need a CSU for all these great teachers.

17. The State of Jefferson movement. They are wrong about many things, but they are correct that the state’s politicians could care less about rural northern California.

R.V. Scheide
R.V. Scheide has been a northern California journalist for more than 20 years. He appreciates your comments and story ideas. He can be emailed at RVScheide@anewscafe.com.

1. Avatar RandyW says:

Atheism is not a faith. There is nothing faith-related about being unconvinced that theistic claims are true, any more than not believing in unicorns, leprechauns, or fairies is a faith. Perhaps one might reconsider how one defines “faith.”

• Avatar Jeff Gore says:

One “unconvinced that theistic claims are true,” would better be described as agnostic; they reason there might or might not be a god, but they have no faith in any particular claim and acknowledge that they will probably never know for certain in life.

An atheist sees the same evidence as the theist, yet draws the opposite conclusion — a position that requires at least as much faith (if not more due to the potential consequences of being wrong).

• Avatar RandyW says:

If someone cannot answer “do you believe any gods exist?” with a yes, you are an atheist, as you do not affirmatively believe in any gods. A/gnosticism refers to knowledge; a/theism refers to belief. They are not mutually exclusive. Most atheists are agnostic, but as agnostic about gods as one might also be about fairies and leprechauns, for all the same reasons.

• Avatar Jeff Gore says:

An agnostic would most likely answer “do you believe in (a) god(s)?” with “I don’t know” — an accurate answer technically outside the scope of the question.

If pressed, zhe would concede a lack of belief technically justifies the “one without belief” label of atheist, just not the popularly attributed antitheist connotations.

• R.V. Scheide Jr. R.V. Scheide Jr. says:

I was sort of joking!

• Avatar Chris Weiss says:

You missed the point.

According to your reasoning, it takes “faith” to deny the existence of unicorns, fairies, and other mythical creatures some claim exist.  Atheism is lack of faith.  Agnostic means simply saying we don’t know or it can’t be known.  An atheist simply says based on the evidence, religious claims are not true.

Bald is not a hair color, clear is not a color, and atheism is not faith.

2. Avatar Peggy Elwood says:

Like the big Ha Has in here..

3. Avatar Cathy says:

Having a sense of humor is a true necessity before tackling all the wonderful things about Shasta County, that’s for sure!

4. A. Jacoby A. Jacoby says:

Au contraire, mon aimée! Redding, or, should I say, Shasta County is a great place even without the toungue planted firmly in cheek. I’m just happy to have the negative press so we don’t end up being Sherman Oaks, North.

5. Avatar Grammy says:

Great tong in cheek article.

On the serious side Shasta County is great because

All major money saving shopping is in a very small area (Costco, Wal-mart, Winco, Food Max)

Traffic is light consider most areas of California that is a big a headache (just do not go shopping the day that the first get paid through about the 10th when it finally lets up.)

Having an old wreck of a car is no embarrassment here.

Yes we do have great people.  They look you in the face and a smile is ready.

Great views (best one is from the top story of the parking garage at Mercy.  The north part of Court Street where you can see the train trussle above the Sundial Bridge.)

Country rides are peaceful and colorful.

Pan handling has finally ended at the major intersections of traffic

The county has become a lot easier to deal with on building issues and permits.

Seven months of the year Shasta County has a great climate.  The rest is a crap shoot.

If you need help,  SC has a great support system.

Thrift Stores are everywhere and fun to hunt for neat things.

Now the downside to Shasta County

Going shopping around the 1st-the 9th, high risk of getting a dent in your car because people just DO NOT care about your car.

All major shopping in on the east side of Shasta County.  The west side has no discount grocery shopping.  It is expensive living on the wrong side where you spend 45 minutes to get to the east side.

The street lights are not timed so that you have a fluid ride across town.

The homeless population is everywhere (can not have a birthday party at  major park because they ask for food.)

The city has decided that city hall and the police station is more valuable than having sports centered off Cyprus like it use to be.  Where all levels of income had their children play sports and you did not have to drive out on 44 to get there.

The pot growing and smoking smell is everywhere.  Bad when it makes you sneeze every time.

We need a new Costco and to many hurdles are being put up to achieve that end.  Perfect spot would be off Bonneyview on Bechiel close to I-5.  The traffic is already set up with lights and a good flow.  But sure that the golf course and homes near by would think differently.  Lots of bare land there.

Need jobs for professionals.  Once our bright children go to University they do not come back.  Major companies hire them in their senior year and they never come back.

Homes are to expensive for the lack of high paying jobs to afford them.  We are a community of minimum wage jobs (and worst part!  you see the young people smoking outside the jobs.  Target, Wal-mart..all service jobs do not offer a job that gets them out of their parent’s home unless they live four to a rental.

• R.V. Scheide Jr. R.V. Scheide Jr. says:

That’s a great point about all the bargain shopping being on the east side. It makes for a shorter trip for me! As an under-employed professional, I agree we need more professional occupations!

• Avatar name says:

“major shopping is on the east side of Shasta County…”  Wait, whut??

Perhaps you should go shop for a map, and note that the major shopping is on the West side of Shasta County, in and around Redding.  Unless, maybe you consider Burney/MacArthur (eastern side of Shasta Co.) to be a “major shopping” area…

6. Avatar A Brady says:

In just the past week, I have had interactions with two state level political offices: I heard Betty Yee (State Controller) speak about state and specifically Northstate issues at the Democratic Founders Dinner at Win-River last Friday.  Today, I met with Bruce Ross, Assemblyman Dahle’s District Manager conversing about sustainable jobs as a group of us are organizing a forum. I regularly call my Congressman’s office in DC asking questions on his stances and giving him my point of view. I also call the Governor’s office and give him my stances when he has a stack of bills to consider.

You are only as connected to your political representatives as you make it. The SOJ folks seem to think that politicians come to you– not the other way around.

• R.V. Scheide Jr. R.V. Scheide Jr. says:

I agree with you totally: if you don’t tell people you need help, no one’s going to help you. Secession is not practicle and I keep hoping SOJ might evolve into a more level-headed grass roots organization. That said, I admire their sense of rebellion and the logo is pretty cool.

7. Avatar Grammy says:

We have lived here for 35 years.  Raised a family and now retired.  Do not plan to leave.  The roads have gotten rougher (why does any road repair start in September and October?)  And then only patch jobs?

Wal-mart has so many people shopping there that they can’t keep the shelves.  Heaven forbid you go shopping like I did last Wednesday.  Needed four items and was not able to get one of them (blueberries, raspberries, a work shirt for Hubby, and his size blue jeans.)  Who ever does the ordering at our Redding one needs to step up their game.

As far as a major discount grocery store?  On Placer Street across from Holiday would be a great location.  Sure Holiday is not going to be happy but if you are a person that goes major shopping at Holiday you are NOT going to be shopping at Wally World or Winco.

We need a Whole Foods!!  We are ready for it.  Trader Joe’s is good but it isn’t Whole Foods (old Raley’s on Bechelli would be great place).  I am all for using existing buildings rather than building another big store.

I love where we live and can not imagine anywhere else but Redding needs to wake up and get better.  We have the big fancy city hall for a fancy city but Redding screams desperate.

We have a huge English first language population that should be a big plus for a lot of call up businesses.  Listening to someone that you find hard to understand is a hang up.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

I’m visiting in Arroyo Grande just now and went to the Whole Foods in San Luis for the first time.  Yep, we need one in Redding.  Before Trader Joe’s, there was Bry’s which was a small version of TJ’s, but even the current TJ’s  is more of a mini Joe’s compared to the ones down here.  The closed Raley’s location would be an ideal venue.  Anybody know who to contact to push this idea?

• Avatar K. Beck says:

Not sure there are enough high income folks in Redding to attract a Whole Foods.

RE: the former Raley’s, I spoke with numerous employees before they shut down. As an aside, the reason I liked that store so much is the people who worked there. Imagine, a store where you know the workers! They were all polite and helpful. Go to any other store in Redding and you never see the same person twice. Back to the topic at hand, the Raley’s corporate reason for closing that location was that the facilities were overdue for an upgrade and the building owner’s didn’t want to pay for it. Neither did Raley’s. So when the lease was up Raley’s shut the place down. Whole Foods is an upscale kind of place. I doubt they would want to move into that location without a major rehab. I have been to numerous Whole Food stores. They are all over the bay area (high income workers). They tend to be huge stores. Also, for some reason, T. Joe’s?, that Raley’s was just not doing a good business anymore. They had to be losing money at that location. I could go there and “you could shoot a canon through there and not hit anyone” as my mother used to say. It was short on customers most of the time.

One must always remember, businesses are in business to make a profit.

• Avatar name says:

That Raleys that closed was a Union store, unlike the one on Lake Blvd.  That may have had something to do with it…

• Avatar K. Beck says:

The employees I spoke with seemed to think that didn’t have anything to do with the closure. That fact put them all in an really bad situation. Raley’s claimed there were no openings at the store on Lake, so those employees with a LOT of seniority had to go to the store in Red Bluff and “bump” employees working there with less seniority. It would be interesting to know exactly how many people lost their jobs over that closure.

• Avatar EasternCounty says:

Regarding your phone suggestion:  our ISP is Frontier which is a monopoly in Eastern County.  We have no choice but to use it.  We had a 24-hour outage, and because of it, I had to spend three marathon sessions with Frontier tech support.  Although the tech spoke “American English,” he had a speech impediment and was difficult to understand.  I was really glad that English was his first language because had he been East Indian, I would have given up.

8. Avatar pmarshall says:

We’ve lived here for over 50  years, so I guess we will stay.  Just wish they  would get finished with road work  before it rains (oh, yes we need the rain anyway).  There is always something to complain about in any city, but Redding overall is a great city!

9. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I’ve been using the “Shasta County” response to the “Where are you from?” query for two decades.  I wasn’t fudging when I lived in Palo Cedro.   Now that we reside in town, I’m definitely fudging.

People south of us us regard Redding as a 112°F pit stop on I-5 on the way up or down the interstate.  In my line of business, you make a huge leap forward if you open even a token office in Sacramento or the Bay Area.  Suddenly, you’re no longer an ass-backward pack of undereducated rubes.

10. Avatar K. Beck says:

When I decided to move North (from the bay area) in 2004 I told people I was moving North. Because when I told them I was moving to Redding, or Shasta Co., no one knew what I was talking about.

So, after I told them I was moving North, invariably they would say, “Oh. To San Francisco?” Sometimes they would guess Sacramento. It is amazing people think the state  is ? it’s real size!