Stolen Motorhome Leads Police Chase

On Thursday, May 28, 2015, at approximately 11:54 PM, Redding Police officers responded to the 2400 block of Beverly Drive regarding a report of a suspect stealing a motorhome. Prior to officers arriving, the victim, Susan Greenhaw, reported the suspect had started the motorhome and had rammed through a fence and fled the area in the motorhome. The motorhome was a 2003, Expedition model, 38-foot-long, diesel pusher type.

A short time later, officers spotted the motorhome as it was travelling southbound on Bechelli Lane. The suspect, who was later identified at Travis Parmenter, 24 years, of Redding, refused to yield to the emergency lights and sirens of the police vehicles. Officers were immediately assisted by the California Highway Patrol helicopter.

The motorhome travelled southbound on Bechelli Lane to South Bonnyview then to southbound Interstate 5. The motorhome exited onto Knighton Road and proceeded east to Airport Road where it continued south into the City of Anderson. As the motorhome entered Anderson, an Anderson Police officer utilized a spike strip which flattened both front tires. Once in Anderson the motorhome went westbound on Riverside Drive and continued until it stopped near Alexander Avenue in Anderson. Once Parmenter stopped the motorhome, he turned the engine off. Officers attempted to negotiate with Parmenter for his surrender; however he would not communicate with officers.

After being stopped at this location for approximately 50 minutes, Parmenter restarted the motorhome and again fled westbound on Riverside. At this point, Redding Police officers were assisted by California Highway Patrol officers and Shasta County Sheriff’s deputies. He continued to S/R 273 where he turned south. Parmenter continued to South Street where he turned westbound. He continued westbound to Olinda Road and eventually turned northbound on Olive. He continued northbound on Olive and stopped at the intersection of Olive and Palm.

During the pursuit, Parmenter’s speed ranged from 25 to 60 mph. Additionally, both front tires had essentially disintegrated off of the wheels after being deflated by the spike strip deployment. Officers continued to attempt to negotiate with Parmenter, however, he refused to do so.

During this incident, officers did not know whether or not Parmenter was armed. The victim told officers there were knives in the motorhome. Officers deployed a regional armored rescue vehicle to aid in the safe apprehension of Parmenter. After extensive attempts to negotiate with Parmenter, officers deployed chemical agents in an attempt to force Parmenter out of the motorhome and to surrender. This effort failed and K-9 Larus from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office was deployed. Parmenter, who was still resistive, was found completely naked hiding in a storage area under a bed in the rear of the motorhome. Parmenter resisted both K-9 Larus and searching officers but was subsequently taken into custody at approximately 2:26 AM.

Parmenter was transported to a local hospital for a medical clearance and later booked at the Shasta County Jail for auto theft, possession of a stolen vehicle, felony evasion, and resisting and/or obstructing a peace officer.

– Press Release


Press Release

-from press release

Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments