Applebee’s Says ‘Thank You’ to Veterans and Troops with a Free Meal, November 11

In what has become an annual neighborhood tradition, Applebee’s will again thank our nation’s veterans and Troops by inviting them to their neighborhood Applebee’s for a free meal on Veterans Day, Sunday, Nov. 11, 2012.  Participating Applebee’s restaurants include: redding, CA; Red Bluff, CA; Oroville, CA; Chico, CA; Eureka, CA; Ukiah, CA; Yreka, CA; Medford, OR; Grants Pass, OR; Bend, OR; Redmond, OR.

For the fourth year, Applebee’s will salute our nation’s military by serving more than 1 million free meals on Veterans Day. Since Applebee’s first began thanking the military with a free meal, restaurants have served more than 3 million veterans and active duty military members on their day of remembrance and respect.

“For the fourth straight year, Applebee’s will say ‘Thank You’ with a free meal to veterans and active duty military this Veterans Day. But it’s really more about creating connections,” said Mike Archer, president of Applebee’s Services, Inc. “Each year, military gather in our restaurants to share stories, meet up with old friends and make new ones. It’s our favorite day of the year, and it’s an honor to serve the people who make this a special tradition for us.”

Applebee’s is offering a Veterans Day menu including some of its signature and favorite items, including the:

7 oz. House Sirloin
Bacon Cheddar Cheeseburger
Three Cheese Chicken Penne
Chicken Tenders Platter
Oriental Chicken Salad
Fiesta Lime Chicken®
Double Crunch Shrimp

Applebee’s will be open 11AM – 12PM. Guests will need to provide proof of service, which includes: U.S. Uniform Services Identification Card, U.S. Uniform Services Retired Identification Card, Current Leave and Earnings Statement, Veterans Organization Card, photograph in uniform or wearing uniform, DD214, Citation or Commendation.

Offer is valid for dine-in only. Traditional sides are included with free entrees; 2 for $20 appetizers, upgraded side items or extras, beverages, desserts and Gratuity are not included.

For more information, guests should call their local Applebee’s or visit www.applebees.com.

-from press release

-from press release

1. Avatar John Carini says:

Thank you again for the meals we recieve as veterans. The Applebees in Midlothian, VA on Hull street treated the vets as family. We thought Chareleen was a relative of ours the way she treated us and the food was great. Thank you again for remembering us.

2. Avatar Jon Reese says:

Here is what is on my mind Applebee's blatant disrespect for veterans. They release advertisement for free meals for veterans on veterans day. I find this extremely interesting considering I am a veteran. So I call them up and they say only with valid photo ID…… Only active duty, reserves, or guard have a military photo ID, not veterans.

Friend of mine's Facebook post today.

3. Avatar SubVet says:

As a veteran, I am a little insulted by this, as it is obviously a marketing ploy to bring more paying customers to their restaurant. Every veteran that goes in for a free 7 oz steak will bring in 2 or 3 more paying customers.

I would rather them put up a plaque saluting veterans and thanking them for their service, than giving out one free meal one day per year from a limited menu, and then making you jump through hoops to get it.

It's kinda like Thanksgiving, when everyone wants to feed the homeless, but they forget about them for the other 364 days of the year.

4. Avatar 12Z5M says:

I think you guys who are finding fault with a business that is obviously contributing thousands of dollars worth of food to Veterans are ungrateful jerks. I'm a combat vet and I don't feel that the public owes me a damn thing. Anything they do is well received and unexpected. A business, especially in these economic times, that gives anything of this magnitude is amazing. There are so many posers out there, of course they require DD 214s or ID! If you don't have either, then you're not a vet! And, if you served any length of time and have no photos in uniform, no commendations or orders, something's wrong. A free meal is awesome. I personally find it hard to go to a restaurant by myself, so won't partake of the offer, but I appreciate it. Thank you Applebys!!

5. Avatar john festa says:

I see applebee's in washington state lynnwood does not recognize us VietNam vets.

6. Avatar john festa says:

I also agree with Joe Reese, I do not have an ID but i am a Vet of the VietNam war. So what you say applebees recognize all vets

7. Avatar RMV says:

God Bless ALL of you VETERANS.

THANK YOU, for protecting us and ALL God loving Americans! 🙂

8. Avatar Charles Carpenter says:

I have appreciated and enjoyed the free meal from Applebee's "limited menu" for the last 3 years at Applebees in Plantation Fl. They never have asked for an ID although I am retired and I could show my ID card if asked. Today I went into my Applebees but it was not crowded at all. I wondered why as the last two years it was very crowded. The bartender said that yesterday, Sunday, was when they did the free meal. I was disapointed but started to order from the regular menu when he broght me the special menu and said that they would honor it. They sure didn't have to but I was very pleased they did. Still never asked for an ID. Thanks Applebees/ Plantation.

9. Avatar pmarshall says:

I think it was nice of Applebee's to offer the free meal. We didn't take advantage because we didn't hear about it in time. I have had many lunches at Applebee's and always enjoyed them. Husband likes the meals also. He was in the Korean War era (the forgotten war, so it seems — 54,000 killed?). Anyway, I think it was a great idea and we will be eating at Applebee's very soon.