Do you appreciate posts like this? We'd welcome your support as a subscriber. Sincerely, publisher Doni Chamberlain
Free art is available for children ages 3 and up at the Siskiyou Arts Bus Summer Saturdays. 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., behind the Shasta Base Camp, 308 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., across from Berryvale Grocery. Have fun with print making, painting, collage and more. Call (530) 859-2309.
The Siskiyou Arts Bus Project is the arts and education component of the Siskiyou Arts Council. The program involves two mobile art studios (buses) and an interesting array of programs, held both on and off the bus. This is a countywide project offering exploratory art for youth from preschool through high school age who otherwise have little or no exposure to the arts.
The Siskiyou Arts Bus Project strives to teach and model creative self-expression, respect, tolerance and diversity, all with a goal of fostering healthy self-esteem for our community’s children. Growing from the unique needs of Siskiyou County’s diverse rural landscape and a lack of art experiences available to our children, The Arts Bus Project can attribute its success to community support through its volunteers, fund-raising events and foundation grants.
The Siskiyou Arts Council would like to stress that kids need art because:
- Art stimulates both sides of the brain.
- Art teaches children to engage in creative problem solving and open-ended thinking.
- 30 percent of children are visual learners.
- Art enhances perceptual development.
- Children who experience art read better and do better in math and science.
- Art enhances self-esteem.
- Art helps develop hand-eye coordination.
- Children with early art and music training are better able to visualize complex mathematical problems and solve them creatively.
- Art develops awareness of the physical environment.
What: Siskiyou Art Bus Summer Saturdays
When: Saturdays, August 13, 20, & 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Shasta Base Camp, 308 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd, Mount Shasta, CA 96067
A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Greenberg, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.