Video Explains Caltrans’ I-5 High Tension Cable Barrier Project

A Redding Caltrans crew lifts high tension cables into a replacement post after an accident destroyed the old support.

The California Department of Transportation in District 2 has made available a video explaining the benefits of cable median barrier on its webpage at www.caltrans2.info. The video (see below for a shorter version) explains how the cable median barrier works, is installed, and repaired.

High tension cable barrier was originally installed in 2009 in the median of I-5 in two segments. Segment one is from Deschutes Road to one mile south of Knighton Road. Segment two is from Bonnyview Road to the Hilltop Drive Overcrossing.

Since the installation of the barrier in 2009, an estimated 60 vehicles have impacted the barrier. This barrier has done an exceptional job of safely redirecting errant vehicles and virtually eliminating cross-median accidents. Of the 60 collisions, only one injury has been reported.

A safety project is currently under construction to install cable median barrier on a four-mile section of I-5 from 1.3 miles south of Knighton Road to 0.5 miles north of Smith Road. This project is similar to the two sections of barrier previously installed on I-5 and will also include earthwork to flatten the existing median and improvements to drainage.

The $1.4 million project is anticipated to be complete in the fall of 2011.

For more information, please contact Denise Yergenson at 530-225-3260.

-from press release

A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Greenberg, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.

-from press release

1. Avatar rmv says:

The "KEY" word here folks is "ESTIMATED"!! 🙂

Please reread this article? 60 COLLISIONS with what,

The barrier, and was the injury caused by THAT BARRIER?

Don't get me wrong, i think the BARRIER is a GOOD thing, but

installing it "twice" at WHAT COST to tax payers? thank you AGAIN

CAL TRANS for spending OUR money wisely? good job planning? REMEMBER THE

FOUNTAIN CURVE ON HWY 299? STILL PAYING FOR THAT BOONDOGGLE!!

P.S. and what purpose did this video serve, and cost, "US"?

2. Avatar JeffG says:

I'm a fan. It may have been bordering on experimental when first put in, but with two additional lanes bringing north/south traffic that much closer a barrier is clearly going to be needed from here on out. In the world of hyper-inflated construction costs, $1.4 million for nearly 3 miles of barrier seems much more palatable than the $2.2 million it will cost to "install" a 100 foot diameter patch of asphalt.

• Avatar rmv says:

I am a fan too. PLEASE DON'T GET ME WRONG, i was referring to

the first fence (now removed/), it's called plan aheaDd. (Caltrans)

please reread my response????? i do understand math, and it is

"PALATABLE" to me also, duh!

3. Avatar Michele says:

I'm so glad to see this explanation. My husband and I have commented many times as we drove by how unsafe these barriers looked. Good to know they are actually quite safe.

• Avatar rmv says:

I also enjoyed "THEIR" explanation.

I also "Hope" THEY ARE SAFE FOR EVERYONE!! 🙂

I also have a knowledge (small as it is), and it sure makes sense to me to install a fence than a $2.2million patch of asphalt. (an estimate by who, caltrans?)

I DO LIKE THE NEW FENCE, "IF" caltrans WILL JUST LEAVE IT THERE!! 🙂 🙂

• Avatar JeffG says:

So far all the data indicates that cable barriers are much safer than no barriers — at least for those on 4 wheels.

There isn't enough motorcycle data to be conclusive, but based on preliminary info it looks like motorcyclists have about a 40% chance of being severely injured of killed when impacting any barrier (concrete, W, or cable). Surprisingly, cable barriers seem to be less lethal (35% severe injury/5% fatality vs ~25% severe injury/15% fatality for concrete & W barriers)

• Avatar rmv says:

With today's drivers, (hurry, hurry, exceed

speed limits, limited common courtesy, and

or sense) we DO need them!! IF THE SHOE