Reflections in a Mirror (While Shaving): Part 37

doug-mudford-reflection

•At 70, I realized my life was ½ over.

•If you want a lovely tee shirt with the above statement, send $49.95, plus tax, plus shipping, plus handling … no substitutions.

•Charges for handling brings up an uncomfortable image so I’ll handle for free.

•Earlier I listened more than I talked…now the reverse. My first objective of the next 70 is to let my ears do more talking.

•I’ve developed my own style of rambling non-sequiturs…but I digress.

•I’ve been preparing for the second half…won the battles of weight and cigarettes.

… At somewhat of a stand-off (still) with alcohol.

•In all fairness, I shouldn’t have to repeat illnesses.

•I decided on a second 70 because I will be so much wiser…right.

•If you join me for a second 70, how will you use your added time? How many of us will simply repeat the first 70?

•I started today… no lists, no resolutions… just a simple attempt to earn the right to go on.

•What draws you to the refrigerator 3a.m.? In the first half of my first half, it was coconut cake and lemon pie. Lately it’s been an apple and yogurt…so maybe “drawn” isn’t the right word.

•I may have to do more reflecting without the mirror…both sides could use a break.

•Do these waders make me look fat? Rhetorical question? Is there such a thing?

…But I digress.

•Cherry is in for the next 35 … will re-assess at that point.

•I’m not allowed to watch the political “debates” anymore.

•The wires are hot…I place any two electrical appliances side by side, leave them unsupervised for a moment and the resulting entanglement of cords is unseemly and perhaps illegal in my birth state – Arkansas.

•When a poem is recited to make a point, I never get the point. Everyone around me nods wisely…I just nod.

Doug Mudford
is a lawyer and partner at Barr & Mudford, with an emphasis on serious personal injury. He may be reached at Barr & Mudford, 1824 Court St., Redding, (530) 243-8008, or doug@ca-lawyer.com.

1. Welcome back, Doug. We missed you and your reflections. 🙂

2. Aleta says:

So glad to hear from you again, Doug!! If I repeated the next 70 the way I’ve lived the first 70, I won’t make it to 80; just don’t have the stamina (or the desire, frankly). Loving PV with Cherry, by the way …

• Doug Mudford says:

Thanks Aleta

I think this stamina thing can be managed. I’m pretty sure I won’t be playing third base for the Red Sox but I might be able to create a video game that features me as the Sox hot corner star. I haven’t thought this through (really?) but I think I would like to end up in the same place but maybe change the routes a little.

Doug

3. Ginny says:

I’m 13 years past you.  If we had a chance to live our lives over again, we may not make the same mistakes, but similar ones.  So from that lesson is just to live each day doing the best we can.  We will be rewarded, I am sure.  BUT the one thing that is the most important is not the politics, but the humor of it.  And, ALWAYS keep our own sense of humor about yourself and life.

Good to see you back writing!

• Doug Mudford says:

Hi Ginny

I couldn’t have a better guide for the next 70. We could probably all exist without humor but let’s agree not to.

Doug

• Ginny says:

You hit the nail on the head. “Exist” is not much fun, but  humor making one laugh is wonderful, even if it is only about us.    ;o)

4. EasternCounty says:

I was thinking just yesterday that you haven’t treated us with one of your reflections for quite some time.  Hope all is well.

My sister sent me these.  They seem to go well toward our second 70 . . .
    My goal for 2016 was to lose just 10 pounds.  Only 15 to go.

I just did a week’s worth of cardio after walking into a spider web.

I don’t mean to brag but……I finished my 14-day diet in 3 hours and 20 minutes.

A recent study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than men who mention it.

Senility has been a smooth transition for me.

I may not be that funny or athletic or good looking or smart or talented….I forgot where I was going with this.

I think I’ll just put an “Out of Order” sticker on my forehead and call it a day.

PS:  Sunday, March 13, 2016 begins Daylight Savings Time.  Don’t forget to set your bathroom scale back 10 pounds on Saturday night.

5. Barbara Stone says:

Oh, good, if you are right about spending the first “half” preparing for the second half, I still have 10…well, 9 years 11 months to go! there’s hope!

6. Doug Mudford says:

Barbara

You are too young…I may have to impose an age limit. You can’t count prior preparation until you wake up one morning and say, dang, am I really half finished?

Doug

7. Jorgi says:

Doug, so glad to see you back! I missed you and your wit.