Californians Ordered: Stay home except for esstential needs

Editor's note: If you appreciate posts like this and want ANC to continue publishing similar content, become a paid subscriber for as little as $1.35 a month.

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, California’s governor issued an order this evening that all citizens are to stay home except for essential needs.

Here’s the exact wording of the order:

“The California State Public Health Officer and Director of the California Department of Public Health is ordering all individuals living in the State of California to stay home or at their place of residence except as needed to maintain continuity of operation of the federal critical infrastructure sectors.

How long will we stay home?
This goes into effect on Thursday, March 19, 2020. The order is in place until further notice.

What can I do? What’s open?
Essential services will remain open such as:
Gas stations
Pharmacies
Food: Grocery stores, farmers markets, food banks, convenience stores, take-out and delivery restaurants
Banks
Laundromats/laundry services

Essential state and local government functions will also remain open, including law enforcement and offices that provide government programs and services.”

Click here to read the entire pdf.

-from press release

1. Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

Elon Musk twitted that Telsa factories could make the ventilators needed to fight COVI but the Fremont factory was shut down due to COVI worries. Another shoot from the hip liberal response. And what about hospital and truckers who deliver to grocery stores? My son said many California drivers are coming to Phoenix to help out delivering food to stores because California is shut down.
    All this because the state predicts over 25 million Californians will be infected. When asked by journalists where this prediction came from the governor’s response was it might not be that high.

2. Joanne Snyder Joanne Snyder says:

Truck traffic seems heavier in California to me these days. Stores are open and being restocked on a regular basis. People are wearing gloves and maintaining distance at the grocery store or bank.

3. Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

Many hundreds of manufacturers could fabricate respirators.
    However patent and copy-write regulations have not been relaxed. Perhaps that is something the federal government could take on! But I’m sure Elon Musk would not want a respirator manufacturer to build Tesla cars. Even in a crisis.

A result of this pandemic is we are seeing the ugly side of how hospitals are not equipped with emergency planning.
    Reports are coming out that some facilities, one with 200 beds only had one ventilator.

I’m sure the Center for Medical Services will be adjusting their evaluations of hospitals very soon.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

Elon Musk made no mention of other manufacturers making Telsa cars, he just stated Telsa could make ventilators but it couldn’t happen overnight.
      Market researchers say that stores will eventually be fully stocked. The shelves will be overflowing with toilet paper because most people will have a two year supply in their garage. Basic foods will return but imported food like wine from Italy and cheese from France as well as many spices from China will be hard to find. American farmers will see a rebound in prices as Americans will want to buy local.

4. Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

In order to supply food to the stores many rules are being suspended, even in California. Limited hours for truckers has been suspended, truckers are told to avoid truck stops and when making deliveries to stay in their trucks. In Yuma, AZ expanded factories, with extra equipment brought from California, are now cutting large items meant for restaurants are now being packaged into smaller packages for stores. The factories are imposing strict regulations on their employees such as safe distances and checking every employees temperature when they come in. With schools shut down the factories are asking grandparents to step up with childcare.
    And all this extra production is coming at a rise in prices to the consumer.
    To keep the farms running immigration rules are being lessened.
    My son is seeing more hours in delivering food, my daughter is seeing overtime at the hospital.
    FRYS has a big promotion plastered all over, Immediate Openings In All Stores.
    The country may be shut down but it is still running.

5. Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

Fortunately we in California are doing the most significant thing to do to fight this virus.
    STAY AT HOME is the very best way to flatten the curve.
    Avoiding contact with everyone is the most effective.
    Certainly there are occasions to break this rule, food, doctors appointments, essential jobs, etc., but it is the most effective.

Secondly, the president must shut his pie hole. He can do nothing but spew misinformation, lies and confusion.

• Avatar Candace says:

My neighbor directly next door is having a 3day garage sale. It started yesterday. I awoke to cars lining the sidewalk in front of my house. Apparently for some folks “essential” travel includes yard/garage sales.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

Candace, when I drove to a food bank I volunteer at, didn’t need me as they have gone to drive up only, I was amazed at all the garage sale signs. A lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck are out of work and need money for essentials and are hoping that they can get some money.

6. Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

My son was just issued his letter that he is an essential worker to show the National Guard if he is stopped. Fortunately, for the most vulnerable and for the country, he is still delivering supplies to Walmart like thousands of others across the nation.
    Next time you see a trucker thank them for keeping the country running.

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

All of a sudden truck drivers are national hero’s?
      I think our opinion of heroism is being drastically diminished.

• Avatar The Old Pretender says:

People who grow, pick, and deliver food, change bedpans, and sweep floors are the real heroes. Not overpaid sport players, not tech billionaires, not corporate CEOs, not cops who don’t even break the top 5 of most dangerous jobs, nor even servicemembers who take the pay and expect freebies and adoration for life. The ideal hero is the one who trudges everyday to serve others and make what they can to survive, without demanding signs of deference or worship. It is they who deserve our respect, support, and protection, for showing up every day, not just when called for.

7. Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

And who created this modern day gestapo where truck drivers delivering food have to carry “papers”?
    The panic obsessed Democrats.

• Avatar The Old Pretender says:

Nonsense. Militarization of police is the party of “law and order”. Both parties are guilty of it. The worst offenders are the gun nuts. Quit spreading nonsense.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

The conservatives asked caution while the liberals caused the panic with the sky is falling rhetoric and calls for the National Guard to come and enforce order, quit denying the truth.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

There is no American modern-day gestapo requiring truck drivers to carry papers. Trucking companies issuing their drivers work papers is a private-sector precaution. Wild guess here, but I’m inclined to believe the owners of most of those trucking companies aren’t Democrats.

As for the rise of authoritarianism in America, you can’t pin that on the Democrats, either.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

Steve, as a former owner I know you know a business can’t issue an order for essential workers it has to be authorized by the government. And you obviously ignored Linda Cooper’s post that homecare workers now carry essential worker papers. Wild guess, as the conservatives are against aid to those who require homecare I would say most of the homecare owners are Democrats.
        I’ll quit saying the Democrats caused this if you quit saying the Republicans caused it.

• Avatar Candace says:

The “papers” are to show that one is not out and about for non-essential travel in states that are being asked to shelter in place during a pandemic. Since many seem to keep thumbing their noses at what we’re being asked to do so as not to spread the virus I personally don’t find the requirement extreme. Of course I don’t think it’s something I want normalized in our day to day lives but these days are obviously not normal. Also, two things: in NY 20 to 30 miles from where my son lives, the National Guard are there to help deliver food, etc. and so far the two caregivers for my step-father here in Redding are not required to carry “papers”.

• Avatar bruce vojtecky says:

I wonder if going out to buy cigarettes or the latest flavored vape are essential. The medical doctor who is on ABC is now quarantined and reporting from home. She states that now is a good time to quit smoking and vaping, I wonder how many will heed her advice.
            In Arizona the National Guard has been authorized to help with food distribution, as an afterthought it was added that they might help with enforcing restrictions.
            Papers Please sounds like Sheriff Joe Arpaio was a visionary.

• Avatar Chad Magnuson says:

It is hard to argue against math and silence. Especially when it is right in front of your eyes as this worldometer graph shows so clearly.
      Obviously we have not reached the apex of this virus.
      Yet the president is suggesting that next Monday at this time everything will be good.

8. Avatar Candace says:

I realize I said I’d not comment further on CV. Obviously that didn’t work. I spoke from a place of extreme frustration and worry for my family experiencing symptoms and therefore self-quaranteed many miles away from me as well as my concern for all of us sharing this planet. Take good care all.