Mountain Fire Updates August 23 7:10 PM

Editor's note: If you appreciate posts like this and want ANC to continue publishing similar content, become a paid subscriber for as little as $1.35 a month.

Mountain Fire map

Photo on Twitter from CEDR Digital Corps
@CEDRdigital

Photo and caption from the Salvation Army on Twitter: The Salvation Army served more than 100 meals last night at the #MountainFire evacuation shelter. We’re serving breakfast to evacuees again this morning.

Shasta County Sheriff’s Office on Twitter at 9:00 AM

Mandatory Evacs: Bear Mountain Rd from Chistian Way to Dry Creek Rd, Squaw Grass Trail at Dry Creek Rd, Elk Trail West at Dry Creek Rd, northbound Intermountain Rd & westbound Alice Lane Evac center located at Crosspointe Community Church Redding. Road closures: Bear Mountain Rd from Christian Way to Dry Creek Rd, Squaw Grass Trail at Dry Creek Rd, Elk Trail West at Dry Creek Rd, northbound Intermountain Rd and westbound Alice Ln
@CALFIRESHU reports the fire is at 600 acres with 40% containment

From CalFire @ 6:55 AM:

Estimated 240 acres contained.

Erratic fire behavior influenced by windy conditions and steep terrain challenged firefighters into the mid- afternoon. Winds calmed allowing progress to be made in slowing the fire’s spread, however, there is an anticipated return for gusty conditions tonight. Damage assessment is ongoing. Crews will continue working through the night to increase and strengthen containment lines.

Shasta County Sheriff on Twitter:

#MountainFire now at 40% containment. Evacuations and road closures remain in place.

Shasta College Main Redding Campus To Remain Closed

The Shasta College Main Redding Campus will remain closed to all students and employees, and all Main Campus classes and ITV sections are cancelled for Friday, August 23, 2019, due to the Mountain Fire. The Tehama Campus will remain open for all classes except ITV classes on Friday, August 23, 2019. The Downtown Health Science and University Center will be open for all scheduled classes. Updates will be provided on an on-going basis. For information please contact Campus Safety at 530-242-7910.

From 10:30 PM August 22:

Barbara Rice
Barbara Rice is anewscafe.com's administrative assistant. She grew up in Igo listening to the devil's music, hearing tales of WWII, and reading James Thurber and Mad Magazine while dreaming of travel to exotic lands. She graduated from Shasta High School, Shasta College, and San Francisco State University. After too many blistering Sacramento Valley summers, she's traded it all for the ocean breezes of Humboldt County. She's been told she's a bad influence and that makes her very happy. She tweets, travels, and spoils cats. There's a dance in the old dame yet.

1. Avatar Beverly Stafford says:

Thanks, Barbara.

2. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Mercifully, it’s not windy this morning.

The Jones Fire in 1999 started in about the same spot and burnt south to the Sacramento River in one day, with a loss of >100 homes. It burnt through my property. The grass in my orchard came close to the house, but was stopped by a thin Pulaski tool cut.

Yesterday Bruce Ross posted an article on FB about this season’s mild fire season. I jokingly responded that he’d violated the “no-hitter rule.” You don’t say a word about a no-hitter while it’s in progress.

Sure enough, within minutes I get a text that there’s a fire 10 miles north of me, with NNW wind blowing 15 mph.

I looked at the smoke plume and texted my wife that it appeared to be burning SW, away from us and in the direction of Shasta College—the evacuation center. Thirty minutes later I heard they’d closed and evacuated the campus.

Just keep in mind, people…..the Jones Fire was in October, and the Camp Fire was in November. We’re a looooong ways from being able to mark down 2019 as a reprieve.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

:::facepalm:::

“Burned” for “burnt,” twice in the first paragraph above. It’s one of those misuses that I learned from my rural Colorado relatives that I’ve never been able to shake.

• Avatar Linda Cooper says:

Steve: I feel your pain. Damn (not dam) I hate it when that happens. And no way to correct on this site. Until I win the lottery.

• Avatar Bruce Vojtecky says:

I remember the Jones Fire. After the police came through our neighborhood in Anderson loud speaking be prepared to evacuate we loaded the car with important documents and I sat on the front lawn watching the sudden flashes of flame as the fire would a patch of manzanita. Fortunately it was stopped before it reached the Sac. If it had jumped the river Anderson would be gone.
      A fellow employee at SUHSD was a hero. After work he would deliver the RS in Elk Trail area and when he saw the flames he went door to door warning neighbors.

3. Avatar Common Sense says:

Yep, it’s getting to the point now where fire season is over only during Dec/Jan and possible Feb! Fingers crossed for a very wet winter this winter again but my betting side says that it won’t be so. I hope I am Dreadfully Wrong on this account!

4. Avatar jojo2275 says:

Steve, I think I remember hearing the Jones fire started at Shasta Lake, the Mountain Fire they say started near Dry Creek Rd and Bear Mountain Rd, not to put too fine a point on it. If you recall, the Jones Fire had stronger sustained winds, that fire’s footprint looked pretty much like a feather. I was living in Redding at the time but had a property that burned in the Jones Fire. Was the cause of the Jones Fire ever established?