Mistress of the Mix: Yes, Sophia, There Is A Santa Claus

Yes Sophia, there is a Santa Claus, and you know him.

You might remember this story, because I told it years8 ago. But that was in the early days of A News Cafe, and only a few people ever got to read it. So today, I'm bringing it back for an encore because it's such a cool story; one that deserves to be shared with every parent of a young child who's getting to that age.

That doubting age.

Due to an incredibly fortunate set of situations, my daughter is going to believe in Santa Claus for her entire life. For one thing, there really was a Saint Nick. I visited his hometown decades ago when I was in my vagabond, world traveling stage of life, long before my daughter was a spark in my fallopian tube.

Only paid subscribers have access to our site's lead stories, as well as the Convo Cafe. When you become a recurring subscriber, you will have full access to all lead stories as well as the entire website. Plus, you'll have the option to receive email notifications of everything we post on aNewsCafe.com.

We look forward to you being part of aNewsCafe.com's online family of paid subscribers. Your support helps us not just survive, but thrive and bring even more quality content to you by top-notch contributors and journalists about topics crucial to you, our region and our world.

Read more about our decision here.

Click here to subscribe!

Already a subscriber? Log in here.

Valerie Ing
Valerie Ing has been the Northern California Program Coordinator for Jefferson Public Radio in Redding for 14 years and can often be found serving as Mistress of Ceremonies at the Cascade Theatre. For her, ultimate satisfaction comes from a perfect segue. She and her husband are parents to a couple of college students and a pair of West Highland Terriers, and Valerie can’t imagine life without them or music. The Mistress of the Mix wakes up every day with a song in her head, she sings in the shower and at the top of her lungs in the car.

1. Beverly Stafford says:

As I drive back and forth between Eastern County and Redding in my Pilot with a six-CD player, I now have Christmas CD’s in the slots. The one song that keeps running through my brain after I leave the car is Roger Whittiker’s “Christmas Is Here Again.” It’s just a sweet waltz that goes through my head as I try to fall asleep:

All that I want is to be here beside you
    All that I need is right here in my arms
    All that I want is to know that you love me
    An that will be my finest Christmas time

2. Adrienne Jacoby Adrienne Jacoby says:

I bettcha each and every one of us have a favorite and a most hated holiday song . . . and I also bettcha that the love/hate list is different for each person. As for me, I happy with the local radio station that starts the Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving. My current favorite is is the Pentitonix, “Mary Did You Know” and curiously, my least favorite is off he same album, “:I Was Following.”
    Being a child of WWII vintage, I’ll be Home for Christmas always makes me tear up.

• Beverly Stafford says:

And “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” is anything but merry. “White Christmas,” although written earlier, was “brought home” by returning GI’s from WWII and really zoomed in popularity then. I think we have Bob Hope to thank for much of that.

3. Cathy Stone says:

I’m so impressed with the Alaskan Santa! You know that if he went to so much trouble to fulfill Sophia’s wishes that he did that for many of the other children in the community also. What a kind heart he had.
    Thanks for sharing this again.

4. Deb Segelitz Deb Segelitz says:

Love this story so much! Thank you for the re-telling… I wasn’t around for the original telling of it 🙂

5. Steven Towers Steven Towers says:

In addition to Saint Nicholas and Sinterklaas, let’s not forget Kris Kringle, Father Christmas, Father Nöel…

Here’s a few more original Americana Christmas songs (in addition to the Hayes Carll song the playlist) :

“Here It Is Christmas Time” — Old 97’s

“Falalalalalove Ya” — Nikki Lane

“Christmas in Prison” — John Prine

“Just Me and These Ponies (for Christmas this Year)” — Corb Lund (damned sinuses, Hal would say.)

“Mrs. Claus’ Kimono” — Drive-By Truckers

“Listening To Otis Redding At Home During Christmas” — Okkervil River

And probably my all-time favorite Christmas song…

“Merry Christmas from the Family” — Robert Earl Keen

You must be a subscriber to comment. Click here to subscribe!