John Prine at the Cascade

img_1

On the short list of incredible songwriters I absolutely must see in my lifetime is John Prine. It appears I’ll get a chance right here in Redding on April 12 at the Cascade Theatre.

Though not yet listed on the Cascade’s website , the show does appear on Prine’s site . During the same mid-April week, Prine is also playing shows in Santa Rosa, Reno, Portland, Seattle and Billingham, Wash.

Known for his literate and humorous tunes, Prine has steadily built a major following in folk/alt country genre since being discovered by Kris Kristofferson in the late 1960s. Some of his most popular songs include, “Angel From Montgomery,” “Illegal Smile”, “Hello in There,” “Paradise” and “Sam Stone.” He’s also done a number of duets with fabulous female performers such as Emmylou Harris, Lucinda Williams, Trisha Yearwood and Iris DeMent.

His fantastic 2005 album “Fair & Square” won a Grammy for Best Contemporary Folk Album.

Kristofferson was once quoted as saying Prine’s songs are so good that, “We’ll have to break his thumbs.”

My view is that his work compares seamlessly with the likes of people like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Kristofferson, John Haitt and Lyle Lovett. His album “The Missing Years” (1991) is a must listen for anyone who’s a fan of this genre.

Tickets were listed at $49.50 on Prine’s site. I’m wondering if there will be less expensive tickets in the balcony for the Monday night concert. In other cities, tickets often range from $50-$75. I’m betting the show will attract fans from all across the region.

He’s a cancer survivor who is going strong at age 63, and I’m thrilled at the possibility of seeing him in Redding.

is a journalist who focuses on arts, entertainment, music and the outdoors. He is a songwriter and leader of the Jim Dyar Band. He lives in Redding and can be reached at jimd.anewscafe@gmail.com

1. Avatar Melissa says:

Wow, this is amazing news! For the longest time, Angel from Montgomery was the song I played when I needed a good cry. His version with Bonnie Raitt will literally bring tears to my eyes.

2. Andrea Andrea says:

I just watched Elvis Costello's show on Sundance and Mr. Prine was featured, he was just amazing. This will be a must see show!!

3. Avatar Steve Brewer says:

Kel and I saw Prine 20 years ago with Bonnie Raitt in a venue not much larger than the Cascade. He's a great entertainer.

• Avatar Philbert says:

Prine was a buddy to the governor of New Mexico… mentions him in songs… of course, I can't remember the guy's name right now. It's New Mexico for cryin' out loud.

• Avatar Brian Hazle says:

Prine in Redding will be sweet!. Many who like Prine will proly love John McCutcheon (Wed., Jan. 20) at Bernie's Guitar. Me thinks.

4. Avatar Doug says:

Wow…I may need to come back to Redding just for this…..

5. Avatar Mrs. Beans says:

Goody! Oh boy! What a great treat for a great town at a great venue!

6. Avatar Gary Tull says:

We've been talking about the possibilities of John Prine playing the Cascade for years! Can't wait to secure tickets!

7. Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

Yahoo!

8. Avatar Philbert says:

I was lucky enough to catch Mr. Prine at the Troubadour about the time his third album was coming out. He had a stool next to him with a pitcher of beer and a pack of Salems on it , and he did in both during the course of the show. His stories connecting the songs are hilarious, poignant and mesmerizing… this will be the best show in the Cascade's history… I promise.

9. Avatar reddingmari says:

I saw Prine numerous times over the years during my previous life in Chicago. I guarantee this is a show you will not want to miss.

10. Avatar Dale Stanfield says:

Saw John Prine last year in Sacramento at the Memorial Auditorium, Just like the sausages on the grill at Lake Marie, he was Sizzzzzzzzzlin'…

11. Avatar Paul Frye says:

Just heard from Erin Friedman, last night, that Prine would be here in April (I think), at the Cascade. I've been a John Prine fan since the early 70s, seen him in concert a cuppla' times (last time in Santa Rosa, 4-5 years ago) and have always had a super time. Folks as different as Steve Goodman to Bonnie Raitt have been friends with Prine or covered his stuff. From LAKE MARIE to SPANISH PIPEDREAM to HELLO IN THERE, he has been an effective commentator of the eccentricities of the post-modern world since the late 60's. Translation; the man can write his ass off.
    He is in Red Bank, NJ on Feb 20th and my youngest son has an office there. I've been encouraging him to go, now I need to start saving for Cascade ticks. I don't see prices listed as of this writing, but I fear the worst. And, I recommend the evening highly to all. Hope to see ya' there! You Tuesday night folk . . . well, Paulie says that it's almost obligatory.

12. Avatar laura says:

Saw John Prine tonight at the Arlene Snitzer Hall in Portland. 37 years after the first time I saw him live in a small coffee house in Ann Arbor Michigan, his poetry and storytelling are still relevant. The timbre of his voice remains strong and clear and I am delighted to say, his spirit still stirs my soul!

Thanks Johh!