Expect a wet week in Northern California as a storm front pushes through the area, bringing blustery, rainy weather to the valley and snow to the mountains.
Tuesday looks like the stormiest day, with the front pushing out of the area on Wednesday. A weaker storm system is expected to bring a few showers on Thursday and Friday. Highs in the low 50s, lows in the low 40s all week long.
Sunshine at times later in the week, but not until after we’ve had a thorough soaking. Details at our Redding Weather Now tab to the left.
- Too bad we don’t have a subway here in Redding. Sunday was the annual No Pants Subway Ride, and I missed it! In cities all around the world, deadpan riders removed their pants and rode subways in boxers and briefs, bikinis and thongs. Just for fun. Details (and video!) here.
- Two open mike events this week in Redding: Poetry readings at Sue’s Java Cafe at 7 p.m. Wednesday and a Traveling Bohemians show at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Old City Hall. Poets, musicians, dancers invited to participate. Donations accepted.
- An Alert Reader sends a link to the work of Heather Jansch, a British artist who sculpts eerily beautiful, life-size horses out of driftwood. Check out her website here.
- Monday Morning QB: The Cardinals defeat the Packers in a wild overtime finish, 51-45. Other weekend winners: Jets, Ravens and Cowboys. For full info and next weekend’s playoff match-ups, click here.
- Movies We’ve Seen: “It’s Complicated,” an intermittently funny film about exes getting romantically entangled as they face their 60s. Meryl Streep is splendid, as always, but Steve Martin mopes through the film like he’s expecting another slapping, and Alec Baldwin appears to be portraying a fat badger.
- Rules for Successful Living #13: “Two steps forward, one step back” still gets you there. Eventually.
Tips appreciated: Send news tidbits to email@example.com.