Shasta Home Brewers Swap Sips, Tips

beersob

I heard that the Shasta Society of Brewers (Shasta SOB) was holding a get-together and demonstration across the street from the library in Redding recently. I met some enthusiastic SOBs. They meet once a month to exchange ideas, and taste one another’s brews.

beerdonsparging

Here we see Don from Lake California “sparging” his grain. He built this custom designed equipment to meet his needs as a home brewer.

beerjd

JD from Redding is brewing a stout, similar to Guiness. Here we see him perform a crucial and scientific test. Is it beer yet? No.

beeralan

Another SOB member is Alan from Vintner’s Cellar in Redding (222-WINE) He demonstrated some of the key differences between making wine and brewing beer, notably the lack of flame. Where’s the fun in that?  He handed out some coupons for his store, where you can make your own wine. They have a wide array of wines you can make yourself and bottle there. A welcome gift idea.

beerstore

The event was held next to Redding’s stylish new Homebrew Store, California Brewing Company. (530) 243 BEER.

beerstoreinside

It’s really clean and bright inside, with all sorts of interesting gear and ingredients. It’s quite different than what I expected.

beerjayandmichelle

Brew store proprietors Jay and Michelle Webster run the shop. They are open weekends, but closed on Monday and Tuesday. They say “If you can wash your hands, boil water, and wait, then you can brew beer.” I’m not sure I can wait, but the rest sounds do-able. Somewhere between the infectious enthusiasm of the SOBs, and Jay and Michelle’s terrific attitude about the craft, I find myself intoxicated with the idea of brewing my own beer.

beerkit2

I bought a kit for an India Pale Ale (IPA), intending to change the acronym into Igo Pale Ale with some additional Cascade Hops.

beerface2

Mmm, beer. I will keep A News Cafe informed of my experience as a neo-brewmeister. Next week: Let’s get this started!

skipmurphySkip Murphy and his daughter, Erin, are Redding area Realtors with Coldwell Banker. Skip’s blog is at ReallyRedding.com

and his daughter, Erin, are Redding-area Realtors with Coldwell Banker. Murphy’s blog is at ReallyRedding.com

1. Avatar Richard Goates says:

Nice article Skip! Makes me want to dust off my home brew equipment!

Rick

2. Don Williams Don Williams says:

Skip

great article and pictures. join us for a meeting. we would love to have you.

If anyone has any questions on brewing call the shop or e-mail us. shastasob@sbcglobal.net. We're more then happy to help in any way we can

Don Williams

3. Avatar Ron Chiodo says:

Well, a hundred years ago I decided to brew beer at home. Being the analytical type I started by doing research on how to do it. I found a number of books with many recipes. I distilled all the information. I needed bottles that could be sealed. I could not buy beer bottles in my state at the time, Virginia. So I had to drink the beer and ask to take the bottle home. Turns out you make beer in batches, I don’t quite recall the amounts 5 gallons or 10 gallons, something like that. Well, of course I wanted to do a 10 gallon batch. In for a dime, in for a dollar, you know. Ok. To come up with bottles, drank a lot of Becks at the Monocle on Capitol Hill. Asked the waiters, “See that guy finishing his bottle of Becks? I want the bottle.” I would leave there with a six pack. Amassed something like 100 bottles. Almost ready to brew. Next I had to buy the ingredients, of which I already knew that I wanted (recipe). This hops, that etc. Then had to buy the other supplies. Read and re-read the recipe. So confident I could do it all. Thought about buying an old refrigerator to keep the brew at constant temperature while maturing. I was ready. First step clean the bottles. Oh, oh. The foil around the neck would not come off no matter what I did. Worked several days on the first bottle. Then decided I really did not have to make the brew. Cause I knew I could do it and it would be perfect. Called it quits. Still have 100 bottles in the basement. Decided to write a song that has done very well. It starts, “100 bottles of beer on the wall…It has no end.

4. Avatar Canda says:

Great article, Skip. We also have women in the SOB's club, so don't be shy, ladies. Join us for a homebrewers meeting, and you won't be disappointed. I was in the brew shop with Don the other day, and heard a customer say, "This is the greatest hobby I've ever had!" I would have to agree that it's pretty fun to have an assortment of fine beers on tap. A couple of my favorite from Don's selection are Pumpkin Spice Ale and Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. I never enjoyed beer before he started brewing, and was strictly a wine drinker. I'm enjoying a wide variety of beers now, and they pair nicely with food.

5. Avatar Jay Webster says:

Skip

Wow what a great article! Thanks for coming out to the event, it was an absolute pleasure to meet you. Feel free to call the store (243-BEER) if you have any questions about your bubbling baby. Also thank you for coming out to the Beer brewing 101 class. I hope you got a lot out of it and are able to apply what you learned.

If anybody would like to get on the list for the next 101 class feel free to come by the store and get on the list. The class will be on December 14th @ 6:00 PM

Cheers

Jay Webster

Redding Homebrew Store

6. Avatar Joshua Jansen says:

Skip,

Wonderful Artical, Please join us for a meeting we would love to have you. And welcome the the obession. And like Canda said we have quite a few female brewers in our club so ladys grab your men and come on down to California Brewing Company and pick up a new hobby that you both will enjoy from beginning to the end.

Josh Jansen ( SOB member )