1. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

No…they always seem so dangerous and uncomfortable.

2. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

I'm not a fan of twisting and turning rides – but I like a ferris wheel, especially at night.

3. Avatar Adrienne jacoby says:

when i was a kid, I couldn't imagine ever not loving the rides. I can remember thinking, "I'll never NOT like that when I get old!!" Now I'm old and i feel like that. These days I tend to equate them with words like: hot, dirty, sweaty, gritty, greasy, noisy, slightly nauseous. But I will admit, grandkids ease the distaste to a great extent.

4. Avatar Adrienne jacoby says:

When I was a kid I couldn't imagine ever NOT loving the rides. I promised myself, "When I get old, I'll never NOT like the rides." Now I am old and, you guessed it, I don't care for the rides. I tend to equate them with words like, hot, dirty, sweaty, gritty, grimy, greasy . . . and slightly nauseous. However, grandkids (especially young ones) go a long way toward alleviating those symptoms.

5. Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

Just LOOKING at those rides going around makes me a little queasy.

6. Avatar Carla Jackson says:

No favorites, just a genuine aversion to the Zipper.

7. Avatar Ann Webber says:

The faster the better……..big roller coasters and fast spinning things are the best!

I have been blessed with a stomach of iron and no aversion to vertigo!

8. Avatar Grammalyn says:

The carousel is my favorite. I ride one whenever I see one – be it a carnival or a mall. I just love it when I get the horse I really want.

9. Doni Greenberg Doni Greenberg says:

I totally agree with Carla on the Zipper. (The only time I rode one – I was about 10, at the Shasta District Fair – my mother actually forced the carnie operator to stop the Zipper mid-ride. She recognized my screams as terror far beyond thrill and engaged her internal mother bear.)

And I agree with Grammalyn about the carousel, but I think I'll need a child with me to not feel too silly. (Did you know that the original Kiddeland carousel exists just a little east of Shasta College on a piece of private property? True. I've ridden it, but have forgotten the name of the people who own it. Does anyone out there know?)

Come to think of it, I agree with Barbara and Adrienne, too. I find myself thinking too much about stories I've read about mechanical failures and lax maintenance. Besides, life is scary enough without paying to experience it.

My idea of the perfect way to visit the fair is at night, when the lights give it a magical feeling. Once there, I buy cotton candy, check out the exhibits and engage in shameless people-watching.