What: 2010 Celebration of Women’s History Month “Women Making History”
When: March 2, 2 to 4 p.m.
Where: The Atrium (south end of the Market Street Promenade, formerly called the Downtown Mall)
Details: The event is designed to bring together the various community organizations focused on the needs of women and families to encourage community engagement and collaboration with the express purpose of empowerment through the expansion of career and personal options for women.
Two components of the program include:
1. Heather Wylie, Sociology Faculty, Shasta College, is our guest speaker who will provide an opportunity to learn more about the social, economic and education issues facing women and families in the Redding Area.
Heather teaches Sociology of Gender, Sociology of Minorities, Sociology of Mass Media and Introduction to Sociology. Heather graduated from Central Valley High School, completed her undergraduate work at UC Santa Barbara (Cultural Anthropology & Women’s Studies) and graduate work at UC Davis (Sociology).
2. Collaboration with local associations to participate in the event.
a. Each organization is asked to send a member or two to briefly describe their organization and their activities that benefit women and families in our community (2-3 min.)
b. We hope that the leadership in each organization invites and encourages its members to attend the event.
c. Tables will be available for organizations to share information.
d. A program will be provided that will include a list of all participating organizations with description, contact information and schedule of events.
Through this event we hope to learn about what each organization is currently working on and their plans for future activities, to create an opportunity for groups with similar goals to collaborate and work together to help women and families in the community.
3/21/10 Women’s History Event Confirmed Participants
Organized by the League of Women Voters, Redding Area
3. Ca Women Lead
4. Girls Inc.
5. Health Improvement Partnership of Shasta
6. Latina Leadership Network
7. Planned Parenthood Shasta-Diablo
8. Positively Girls Club, Martin Luther King Center
9. Shasta County Local Child Care Planning Council
10. Shasta Historical Society
11. Society of Women Engineers
12. Soroptimist International of Downtown Redding
13. Soroptimist International of Redding
14. The Women’s Fund of the SRCF
15. The Women’s Network
16. The Women’s Refuge
17. Women’s Health Specialists
Please contact Kristen Schreder, email@example.com with any questions.