1. Avatar Troy Hawkins says:

A gold pocket knife.

As a small boy I was given the knife by my grandfather. Well I actually had to pay him a penny for it. My grandfather was very superstitious and believed if you gave someone a knife you'd sever the relationship.

The knife gold and the blades are a bit rusty but it is beautiful. My mother kept in her jewelry box for years for it's own protection. I now keep it with my other keep sakes.

2. Avatar Lynda Bos says:

Pictures my daughter colored in preschool. They are precious to me.

3. Avatar karen says:

A notepad with Hello Kitty on it. It has to be almost 40 years old. I used to collect Hello Kitty back when they first came out in the 70's and sold at Pola Bear in the Mt. Shasta Mall. For some reason I still have it, and can't bear to throw it out.

4. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

He's been around even longer than Craig — "Rover" – a very ragged, worn and patched stuffed animal and my constant companion during childhood. Rover's was stashed in a moving box in my closet for years – I was delighted to find him just recently.

5. Avatar Mary says:

I have a stuffed animal called Floppy that I have had since before kindergarten…worn, tattered, loved. fun question!!

6. Avatar Erythrina says:

I have a stuffed dog that my Mom says was given to me at my baby shower. It has been with me forever. 🙂

7. Avatar Daniel Carey says:

A stuffed bear, technically it is called a boo boo bear. This was given to me when I was a baby. It was packed away for many years; but when I got married, my wife happened to have a bear just like it. I went to my mother and asked for it. It now sits on a little wooden rocking chair with my wife's bear on display.

Why is it important? It is one of the few toys I still have from when I was a child. A momento of my childhood. Additionally I find it amazing my wife had the exact same toy.

We're married 27 years this year. The bear was given to me in 1962. So it is rather old and has seen a lot.

Cheers,

Dan

8. Avatar Diana Raj Kumari. says:

My Enid Blyton "Famous Five" story book which I got as a gift from my school friends for my 11th birthday.

I am very much attached to it. Reminds me of those carefree days.

9. Avatar Carla Jackson says:

The surviving members of my Breyer horse collection. The herd has dwindled to the dozen or so hardy enough to have withstood daily play – many were felled by broken legs. Even though they now live in storage boxes, I can’t imagine ever parting with them.

10. Avatar Grammalyn says:

I have a lot of things from my childhood, but my favorites are two heavy cut glass drinking glasses that I used to drink my milk from. They seemed huge at the time (I can't drink ALL that milk!!), but they aren't nearly as big as my other drinking glasses. They are at least 80 years old, and it's hard to believe that they have lasted so long.

11. Avatar Viki Twyman says:

A set of little tiny dishes in the blue willow design. I used to have tea parties all of the time when I was little. All of my dolls (I had a lot!), stuffed animals, and my calico cat were all required to attend these wonderful parties.

I have awesome memories of my mom sitting down with me and having tea and cookies, my dolls all crowed around my little table, my cat in the doll buggy – dressed in doll clothes (he was an awesome cat!).

These wonderful little dishes are safely packed away in our garage attic. I could never part with these.

12. Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

A spoon with Yogi Bear on the handle. It was my late brother's cereal spoon. When I was little, I had a similar spoon with Huckleberry Hound (no idea where that one is). I think they came from an offer on the back of a Kellogg's corn flakes box (send in 25 cents and a box top). It's a reminder of my brother.

13. Avatar monica t says:

my first holy communion pin from 3rd grade.

my grandfather's pocket-watch.

my grandmother's rosary.

and a small, odd package of matches from Spain that belonged to my grandparents.

these items are placed together where i see them everyday. ?

14. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

Gosh, I don't have anything from my childhood! I wish I did. I have a comforter that my mom bought me when I was 18 so that I have probably had that the longest; I was 18 in 1973.

It's special because I took it to college with me (kind of a comfort from home) and my sister had one just like it.

15. Avatar Anita says:

Two things actually and both from my Grandmother. One is a toy cow made from real cowhide. It was her toy when a child so it has to be over 100 yrs old. The other a ring that was given to my Grandmother and she then gave it to me. The ring was given to her (my Grandmother) from the mother of a friend who had died at a young age. It means a lot to me.

16. A little wood chair, powder blue with paint splats, like adults later used it as a step stool for painting. Shelly has one, too. We had them as toddlers in Canada.

I also have my mother's brown flowered teapot with a chipped spout, that I now have a ball of kitchen twine in it, and the string is threaded out through the lid's steam hole. (I keep a pair of tiny scissors in the spout.)

My mother died at 42, but the chair and the teapot are reminders of her, and my history.

(I love hearing everyone's answers. I'm touched by the meaningful sentimental values we attach to such simple objects.)

17. Avatar Steve Fischer says:

I have some peanut cactus that is a direct descendant of some I got from my grandmother, probably around 1954. Whenever I see some of it growing around the house, I am reminded of her. And I have an old alto sax that my parents bought me when I started eighth grade in 1957. That may be the best $50 they ever spent on me.

18. Avatar lee riggs says:

My cowboy plate circa early 1950's. It came with a cereal bowl long since defunct

19. Avatar Joanne Lobeski Snyde says:

The one thing I've had the longest is a single red, glass bead. It was probably part of a costume jewelry necklace that someone gave me to play with when I was little. This bead became the focal point of the choker necklace I made in high school. It is now a part of a pendant piece I designed a few years ago. This bead is the purest red I've ever seen. I can't find anything that comes close to it. This bead is a reminder of all the stages of my life. And how the heck do I still have it when I moved to Humboldt county from L.A. with only the things that would fit in my car, and I moved to Redding under the same conditions?

• Avatar Paula says:

Hi Joanne,

Being a beadophile, and having moved here under the same conditions (well, ok, in a 17' moving van occupied mostly by my beads, two chairs, a bookcase, some books, two computers, two guitars, amps, "man tools" and a pair of double-bass drum kits with all the cowbells and whistles, property of my Dh and DS) I would love to see a picture of your bead.

My bet is that it was either Bohemian (Czech Republic) or possible German, and was made in the old-fashioned way, using a quantity of pure gold in the molten glass mixture, which was required in order to get those gorgeous red tones seen in antique red glass.

What a marvelous gift!

Paula

20. Avatar Troy Hawkins says:

Thank you everyone for your incredible answers!

21. Avatar Karen C says:

A beautiful prayer book given to me by my mother for my first communion at age 5. It has mother of pearl front and back covers. It is mounted in a frame below a picture of me in my first communion dress, veil, rosary, etc.

22. Avatar Chris Bennor says:

I have a collection of Barbies and lots and lots of Barbie clothes sewn by my mother back in the late 60s/early 70s. How shocked I was when I had two boys and no girls – what to do with them now? So they reside in a big hatbox for visiting little girls to play with.

• Avatar Paula says:

Chris,

If ever you wish to get some of the Barbie clothes off of your hands, please let me know! I would be honored to have them, as my mother made my Barbie's clothes for me, but sadly, none survived a moving loss.

Paula

paulasmorgan@gmail.com

23. Avatar Paula says:

Of personal items, that is, things given to me as a kid, it's a tie between Kittie (a stuffed bear, but black with green eyes, pink inner ears and a pink nose plus tiny reddish-pink tongue, had to be "Kittie") , and the porcelain doll sent to me by my beloved oldest brother. He had joined the Coast Giard before I remember, and sent gifts home when he could, this doll being the first, but not presented to me until much later, when he was home on leave. Mom kept it hidden for a few years, in fact. It means the world to me, as Mom kept it safe for so many years, and because my brother sent it al the way from Japan!

The other prized item that I did not actually obtain until much later in life, though it outdates me by at least 40 years, is my mother's button tin. Filled with jewels removed from clothing, furniture, bathrobes, etc. it is more valuable to me than if it were filled with diamonds. I have a difficult time using the contents in my artwork, because when I look at them, I am reminded of my first discovery when I was a child, and while I was permitted to look at the buttons and even to play with them, I was reequired to return them to their "home" afterwards, as they might be needed some day.

Buttons! Of all the possible things one could inherit, who would think that buttons would be so important?

Paula

24. Avatar Micah Ree says:

I don't want to count things that were given back to me later, like childhood photos, artwork etc. and in traveling I have lost much. But I do have a small brass container with a butterfly on it, a birthday present from a friend in elementary school. It holds a bit of Florida sand. I keep it on my altar and the meaning and symbolism of the object has evolved for me each year. "Time is a stripper, doin' it just for you." a quote from the Grateful Dead.