1. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

As a kid, I wanted to be an actress, a writer, a dog trainer and a mom. In one way or another, I am – kind of – all of those things. It certainly didn't turn out the way I'd planned – and I'm ever so grateful for that.

2. Avatar Grammalyn says:

When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a professional ice skater. I lived in SF, and apparently would ice skate into the circle where the "professional" skaters were, and often had to be escorted out of there. I really loved those spinning skirts, and still do.

Later, I wanted to be a mom. I could just imagine kids calling out "Mom! Mom!" and it made my heart sing. Little did I know that the sound of "Grandma!" would be even better.

3. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

Kind of…I always fantasized about being a graphic artist…after my rock star phase, that is. :>)

Now I am a dressmaker and tailor, which means cloth is my medium, although I have a practical knowledge of clothing construction, fit, and drafting, too. I kind of blend the right and left sides of my brain!

4. Avatar Ann Webber says:

When I was a Blue Bird, mini Camp Fire Girl, we had to create a Native American name for ourselves. We used symbols to represent what we wished to become. My name was Little Woman to become a Cook. Not so little but cooking has been my passion and my pleasure. I consider nourishing those I love a privilege. Of course being a Mom has been the best part of my life.

5. Avatar Cherry Mudford says:

As a child, I wanted to be a nurse or a librarian…didn't happen. I spent years as a hairdresser and loved every minute, right up to retirement. After retirement, I was fortunate enough to find a job as a librarian's assistant in a medical library for a few years. Close to original dream..and I was old enough to appreciate it.. very satisfying. I'd say I'm pretty lucky.

6. Avatar Troy Hawkins says:

As a very young child I wan't to be a Hardy Boy. At the age of 10 I wanted to be a singer. Actually I wanted to be Shawn Cassidy and sing Da Do Ron Ron.
    Thanks goodness that gig was already taken.
    From the time I was in high school I wanted to be an artist. My parents both did art and I loved the creative process.

7. Avatar Dennis Kessinger says:

Yes, no, and for the most part.

Yes: like Troy, I really wanted to be one of the Hardy Boys (I had the entire series collection back then, 1960's) and lately have been buying back the old books at used bookshops throughout the region. I sort-of followed up on that by being a Crime Analyst (RPD) for many years and other law enforcement pursuits.

Yes: Mostly, though, I wanted to be a writer and have done fairly well at that but I had to take a "real" job to pay the bulk of the bills. Bummer.

No: I wanted to be a lawyer (I was young then, okay?) and later went to law school. Not the path for me.

For the Most part: I'm doing what I love with that kind of focus *while* I do other things that are necessary to support my other pursuits.

All in all, I'm quite happy.

Dennis

• Avatar Karen C says:

Dennis, you were a very fine crime analyst and I enjoyed working with you. Didn't you just love it when I brought new volunteers through your unit and you had to explain to them what you did? You always "had " them at "right now, we are working on the cat burglar case, and hoping to find out where he will strike next!"

8. Avatar Viki Twyman says:

No, I never in my life thought I would be a jewelry artist, but now that it has come to be, I love it!

I wanted so badly to be a dancer, but because of a congenital heart condition that was not a possibility and by the time the old ticker was fixed I was a teenager and…….well, I think that says it all!!

9. Avatar Karen C says:

I wanted to be a nurse, so instead I became an assistant to an orthodontist in Eureka, ran his office there and in Arcata. Then after marriage, I wanted to be a mom, three kids later, I was. Then I wanted to be a volunteer, so I volunteered at their schools and later at Mercy Medical Center. Then I wanted to make some money and the Redding Police Department wanted someone who knew about volunteers to start a Volunteer Program for them, so I did….and stayed with the City of Redding for 10 years developing the best volunteer program I could. Then I wanted to have fun, so I retired from the City, got a dog and joined Rx: Pets. We (my dog and I) learned how to do pet therapy work with hospitals, assistant living facilities and critical care. Then my dog wanted to retire so he did. Now he runs the show and tells me when he wants walks, back rubs, and food. Then I wanted to get into higher technology so I did…I now own a smart phone, text our kids, and have a professional camera that is smarter than I….

Now I want to take better pictures and I have take classes. Somehow what I want has slipped away for now. I know I'll get my groove back soon!

As soon as I figure out all the technology!