1. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

When I moved into my own apartment at age 19. It was in the heart of Van Nuys, in kind of a seedy neighborhood, but it was all MINE. I had never seen a cockroach until that first night in my own place. I couldn't ask a big brother or Dad to deal with them – they were mine, too. Welcome to adulthood, baby!

2. Avatar Paul Frye says:

I guess I was 18. My first year at College, in Logan, Utah from Spring Lake, NJ in 1958. Like Erin, it was my first adventure at living away from home and the fam. Laundry was an adventure. There were some women students who would "do your laundry" for a pittance and finding that resource was a small, though some how very important, victory. Damn, that was a long time ago. (doesn't seem like it)(this could be a longer, and racier, response)

3. Avatar Lee says:

When I looked up at the sign at San Diego Naval Training Center that said: Welcome you are now aboard a United State Navy Man Of War and people started yelling at me. I thought "Oh this is a big mistake." In this case the first thought was the best thought

4. Avatar Hal Johnson says:

Thirty-five.

5. Avatar Kelly Brewer says:

I realized I wasn't a kid anymore
    At 9, when I first wore makeup.
    At 10, when I got my first period.
    At 11, when I first shaved my legs.
    At 12, when I first put a meal on the table.
    At 16, when I first paid taxes.
    At 17, when I graduated high school.
    At 18, when I bought a car.
    At 24, when I got married.
    At 27, when I bought my first house.
    At 29, the moment I had a kid of my own.

6. Avatar Barbara Stone says:

Wait…I'm not?!

7. Avatar Toni says:

I'll let you know when it happens!

8. Avatar Ann Webber says:

When I was 17 and moved to San Francisco with $40 in my pocket.

9. Avatar Nicole Chelonis says:

Yesterday. I'm 37 and just got my first phone call from the school that my daughter got in trouble. That makes me a grown up. I'm going to lie down and wait for the feeling to pass.

10. Avatar Marilyn Traugott says:

However old I was when i first got called "ma'am."

11. Avatar Cait says:

When I moved into my first apartment alone, I was so excited to finally be an adult, I went out and bought these two awesome, googly eyed, chubby little gold fish. ( I named them Elvis and Priscilla…)

I knew I was in trouble when I realized that they could swim upside down.

I think I was sadder when I realized that my parents would not either just sense that this had happened and replace them with identical, if not uglier gold fish…Or…magically make it all better.

To be fair though, most of the time I still feel like childhood is never ending…the tests just seem to get harder along the way.