1. Avatar Troy Hawkins says:

Pets are an important part of our lives. They are our best friends, secret keeping confidants and loving family members. I've had many pets in my life and the one that is on my lap at the time is usually my favorite.

I know it is not nice to choose a favorite child but I have to admit some have gotten under my skin and endeared themselves to me a tad more than others.

Lolly pop, the no tailed mute of my early years would have to rank pretty high on my list. She was a partner in play as well as ferociously protective of my sister and I.

Buttons, our black toy poodle, who was actually Tori's dog, was my psychologist as an adolescent. She listened to the tale of my first kiss, the heart break of failure and the sobs of Jr. high school. All with a waggly tail and undying love.

Currently, I have Popsicle our black lab mix, rescued from the death chamber. We call her our Christmas dog as she came to us on Christmas eve. She is one of my best friends as well as one of my favorite creatures. And Ditto, our big old tabby cat. Not happy with kids, hates dogs and most other cats. A loner who likes love on his terms, food when he wants it and is vocal and outspoken is my other favorite. He is beautiful and regal and when he decides it's love time, which is usually once a daily lately, he and I have a total love-fest. We speak each other language. My animal twin. Two chubby, outspoken and slightly grouchy dudes who relate, love and have forged a friendship that I hope will last for many more years.

2. Avatar Claudia says:

The real story of my pet experience is similar to that of the Smother's Brothers, Dick and Tommy, . My older sister had a dog; my younger sister had a dog, but all I got was a chicken. . . and I said "Bark, chicken, bark. . . it wouldn't bark…. so I ate it"" The End

3. Avatar Ursula says:

My favorite pet would have to be all the pets I have ever had.

Currently, I am head over heels in love with all 5 of my dogs.

That equals 575 lb's of fur! ~ Would not have it any other way.;)

4. Avatar Erin Friedman says:

Love my dog, Maggie – a Golden we adopted from Haven 9 years ago. She's a gentle soul who sleeps at my feet while I read to the kids, is delighted to see me when I return home, no matter how briefly I might have been gone and is thrilled to go out with me every morning to get the paper. And she doesn't talk, doesn't leave dishes on the sink, doesn't ever complain about the food she gets and she NEVER misplaces her shoes.

5. Avatar Viki says:

I have had so many pets over the years. Animals have always been such a big part of my life, but my favorite has to be "Bambi". Bambi was an adorable fawn when he was given to us by a friend of my dad's. He had been found on the side of the road lying by his dead mother. We lived on a small farm and I guess dad's friend assumed he would just fit right in, which he did for a long time. Bambi lived in the house, the bathtub was his bed, but he never really stayed in there. He liked to sleep on the foot of my bed.

He was the sweetest little thing. We also had a cat at the time who had just had a litter of kittens. She sort of adopted Bambi. The cat and kitten's home was a large oval laundry basket. Bambi would, ever so gently, step into the basket and lie down with the kittens ( I actually have a picture of this somewhere).

When he was big enough he followed my brothers and I everywhere we went. If we went on a bike ride, he went with us; when we went down to play by the river, he went with us. When we tried to play baseball he would chase us around the bases.

But, as all adorable little fawns will do, he grew up and grew horns. He became rather aggressive at times so he was given to a friend of ours who had many many acres in the mountains. But, picture this; this guy came and picked him up in his Cadillac. Yep, he put Bambi in the back seat and drove away!

I had an amazing childhood!!!

6. Avatar Carla Jackson says:

Gosh, I’d need several thousand words, a PowerPoint presentation and a box of Kleenex to fully answer this question. My past and present is filled with favorites – each one a little different and special in their own way. Troy is right, there are a few who really get under your skin:

Snork – the supremely tolerant German shorthaired pointer who acted as my first “horse.”

Cricket – the straggly stray who morphed into a beautiful long-haired cat. She walked into my life when I was four years old and was my best friend & confidant for 14 years. I’d always be late getting ready for school because I was busy playing with Cricket.

Czar – Samoyed. As a big, happy adolescent, made his entrance to our family by charging through the screen door to create his own Czar-shaped doggie door. My friend and I built jumping courses in the field behind our house so the four of us (she had a dog, too) could spend hours as “horses” sailing over those jumps. Czar never tired of the game.

Butch – Boston terrier. Labeled “incorrigible” and “not-adoptable” at the shelter. I adopted him and he launched my dog training career.

Mr. Dufus – Horse, soul mate. He’s been with me for nearly 18 years and there will never be another like him.

Chaz, Percy, Newt – The Pug Brothers. A gang of snorfly, snorty guys who make life so enjoyable. They hike with us, swim with us and help us run the business. They entertain us in a hundred different ways and I can't imagine life without them.

7. Avatar Grammalyn says:

If I can only pick one, it would have to be Murphy the cat. He was an orange tabby rescued from a grocery store in SF where he was the mouser. He was arthritic and sickly, and when we brought him home and put him on heating pads, etc, he became a "new man" (so to speak). He licked away a lot of teenage tears, and for that I'm forever grateful. When he died, I wrote in my diary that I was going to kill myself by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge. Ah, teenagers!

8. Andrea Andrea says:

Our dog Ike. He is an amazingly beautiful German Shepard who is a true friend to our family. I am in awe of how he can help our older son calm down with a simple nudge of love, something Ike started to do all on his own. The two of them have a special bond. Ike is the best friend that Rex can always count on, who won't make fun of him, and that loves to do what ever he wants to do as long as they are together. We are lucky to have such a great pal. I feel a little bad leaving out our other companion dog, Sheeba-lou. She came to us about 2 years ago. Sheeba is a Golden-doodle, which I think just means 'beautiful yet dinggy'. She is sweet, kind, a little 'special', and full of love.

9. Avatar Ann Webber says:

Well I admit to being what some people call "collectors".

Currently, my familiar is "Perfect". It is difficult for both of to be apart for any length of time. Her name truly suits her. She is not a pretty dog, but she loves and is loved.

Our Scout is the DOG of all dogs. He is devoted and protective and loving to all of us. He has his own dog, a stray we named GG for Good Girl until she started running in circles, hording food and biting people, now GG is for Goofy Girl.

We had a Dalmatian named Pepper, who was also very close to my heart. She was an extremely nurturing dog and in tune to our family and our emotions. Her mate Sergeant and he was sweetness in a dog.

Having had an average of 10 cats in the house on any given day over the last 15 years and up to 22 for a high it is hard to narrow it down. Had one named HV that had me working on changing the law about interspecies marriage. Peter and Shadow, two rescued plain gray cats were extraordinary and Peter was a $4000 dollar investment!

Currently, Honey (Bunny) one of the three we named for the mustards, which included Frenchie and Dijon, is the asparagus, potato chip stealing sweetheart of the house. Hercules is the pesky, ruler of the dining room table who for some reason is irresistible.

I could go on but it could become a blog!

10. Avatar Tami Bennett says:

I am like Ursula (above), all my dogs have been special, past-Bear, Ginger, Wendy and present-Dude, Max, Elle, Extra.
    My son Skyler died in an accident 8/1/2008 (age 21). My dogs have been the best anti-depressants in the world.