The Los Angeles Times has a vivid story about a Taliban attack on a convoy of California Army National Guard troops in Afghanistan, and a soldier from Corning is singled out for her heroism.
Spc. Kathy Tanson, 20, raked an enemy position with fire from a .50-caliber machine gun as the convoy fought back during an ambush by two groups of Taliban fighters. Air support and more ground troops soon arrived to mop up the Taliban.
While all of the convoy vehicles were hit by gunfire, none of the Americans were injured.
Full story here.
- The Redding Library offers FREE computer classes, beginning in January. Classes are offered for beginners and intermediate users. For more info, click here or call 245-7252.
- Monday Morning QB: Two real pulse-pounders in the NFL on Sunday: The Raiders beat the Broncos, 20-19, on a last-minute TD pass by JaMarcus Russell, and the Steelers mitigate a lousy season with an exciting 37-36 win over the Packers. In other games, the 49ers lost to the Eagles and the surging Chargers beat the Bengals. Tonight: Giants vs. Redskins.
- Seen on Facebook: Parents solved the problem of getting their sleepy son off to school in the morning by buying a parrot and teaching it to say, “Robbie, you’re late.”
- The 2000s were the worst decade in stock market history. When adjusted for inflation, the market fared even worse during the past decade than during the Great Depression. For more, click here.
- DVD I Watched on the Dreadmill: “Bon Cop, Bad Cop,” a 2006 odd-couple thriller from Canada. Detectives from Ontario and Quebec are partnered on a case, and the language barrier is the least of the problem. Lots of action and several moments that were laugh-out-loud funny.
Tips appreciated: Send news tidbits to email@example.com.