I’ve been banging my head against the wall trying to make sense of the Dr. Mikovits nonsense. The video is such a great piece of misinformation with really nice production value. A lot of people want to believe it. Here are a few ideas bouncing around in my head, and a few from folks much more intelligent than me. Specifically, David Gorski is a surgeon who wrote a fantastic dissection of the video. It is a great read. https://respectfulinsolence.com/…/…/judy-mikovits-pandemic/…
1. A good conspiracy theory turns the believer into a hero, a warrior with secret knowledge that none of the other ignorant people know, against the powerful forces arrayed against them. A good conspiracy theory almost always has a part at the end in which the people wake up and see what is being suppressed by the powerful forces seeking to keep them ignorant. Conspiracy theories like this make the believer feel special and brave for having secret knowledge and fighting to make it public. It also provides an explanation for bad things happening in the world (respecfulinsolence.com). We all are scared and confused, and this is a way some folks gain a feeling of control over an uncontrollable situation.
2. The data Mikovits published in “Science” was later retracted because no other labs were able to replicate it. It was determined that her claims that a modified mouse virus caused chronic fatigue syndrome and prostate cancer were due to lab contamination of the samples she studied. (Robert H Silverman, Jaydip Das Gupta, Judy A Mikovits et al. Partial Retraction. Detection of an Infectious Retrovirus, XMRV, in Blood Cells of Patients With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Published Erratum Science 2011 Oct 14;334(6053):176)
3. Dr. Judy Mikovits never worked for Dr. Tony Fauci. He has been the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) since 1984, and that institute is one of 27 institutes and centers of the National Institutes of Health. Potentially the NIAID provided extramural grants that funded some parts of Dr. Mikovits’ research at some point in her career, but that doesn’t mean she was an employee of Dr. Fauci. Furthermore, the grant that funded the retracted “Science” paper was actually from the National Cancer Institute (Brooke Wolford worked at the National Institutes of Health and is a current PhD candidate in biomedical research).
4. A little more than one month after firing Dr. Mikovits, the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease (WPI) filed suit against its former research director. According to WPI, after Dr. Mikovits was terminated, she wrongfully removed laboratory notebooks and kept other proprietary information on her laptop and in flash drives and in a personal e-mail account. https://www.sciencemag.org/…/details-emerge-criminal-charge… .
5. Dr. Mikovits is pushing her new book, “Plague of Corruption: Restoring Faith in the Promise of Science”. The forword was written by antivaccine leader Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.
6. Dr. Mikovits agrees with the conspiracy theory that doctors are being pushed to misclassify deaths due to other causes as due to COVID-19. The producers even included a clip of Dr. Dan Erickson making that claim. You might recall that Dr. Erickson made a misinformation-laden video that claimed COVID-19 prevalence was so much higher than estimated and used that estimate to claim that COVID-19 is actually five times less lethal than seasonal flu. Absolutely abysmal and inaccurate statistical analysis.
7. Dr. Mikovits states that a mask causes the wearer to re-inhale our own carbon dioxide- “a toxic gas!” and reinfects you with the virus. Fortunately, it’s not a steel-lined trap. Just as you can suck air in through a mask rather easily, so can you exhale air out through it. If you’d like to feel the difference, clamp your hand over your mouth and nose and take a stroll. Also, exhaled air is about 16% oxygen, versus atmospheric air, which sits at 21%. It’s not pure carbon dioxide, like the clouds on Venus. You cannot infect yourself with your own virus. If it comes out of you (i.e. virus droplets in exhaled breath) putting it back in you won’t make you any sicker. Being exposed to the atmosphere – in fact, leaving its host cell at all- is a very precarious thing for a virus. It risks drying out its protective moisture coat and falling apart. Taking a brief, exciting tour out your nose, into your mask, and back inside does not energize it, but instead risks inactivating it entirely (Jennifer L Kasten MD, MSc).
8. Dr. Mikovits claims that the reason we are being instructed to not go to the beach is because water and sand have healing microbes. If we are exposed to the healing microbes and are cured, then big pharma won’t be able to cure us with the vaccines it will make a fortune on… I have no words for this amount of lunacy.
In summation, this video is complete and utter nonsense. It does not help us find a way forward together. It further creates the rift we feel in society and social media when the far extremes of politics try to divide and conquer. Instead, let me suggest former President Bush’s video that he released last week asking for non-partisan cooperation and courage to move forward together.
Editor’s note: Dr. Van Kirk originally posted his essay on his Facebook page and gave permission for it to be reposted here on A News Cafe.com.