Redding Man Arrested for Murder of His Mother

On April 10, 2020 at around 4:26 PM, Officers from the Redding Police Department responded to the 1100 block of Edgewood Drive for what was originally reported as a medical call. As Officers were traveling to the call, along with medical personnel, updated information provided to ShasCom – 911 made it apparent a crime had occurred and that a suspect fled the area.

Officers obtained a suspect description while en route to the call. They located and detained a subject who matched the description nearby. He was identified as Nicholas McKenzie, 32 years of Redding.

Officers and medical personnel arrived at the scene and found a victim suffering from apparent stab wounds. The victim, identified as Joan McKenzie, 68 years of Redding, was transported to a local hospital but later died from her injuries.

During the Investigation of the crime, Officers found evidence and witnesses that linked Nicholas McKenzie, the son of victim Joan McKenzie, to the crime. Nicholas McKenzie was arrested for murder and booked into the Shasta County Jail. He is being held in lieu of $1,000,000 bail.

1. Joanne Snyder Joanne Snyder says:

I can’t think of a worse crime than a son killing the woman who gave him life. This is heartbreaking.

2. Avatar carol schroll says:

Yeah, neither can I She was my only sister and he is one of my nephews. My husband and I moved up here to help my sister and my mother. I never liked Redding and now like it even less. Some good people but too much violence, drugs, alcohol, sexism, racism, and on and one. I will never be the same. I will never look at this area with any good feelings for the area. My sister was a wonderful person who bent over backwards to help my mother, her kids, and others. She was a member of a local church here. She didn’t deserve this. But, when you live in an area with rampant drug use, domestic violence, racism, sexism, and conservatives with little care for those who are more misfortunate than many are, this is what you get. Sick, sick people with no place to get quality help. The County Mental Health system is a failure. In so many ways. My family has tried over and over again to get him help but this podunk county system and city has not enough brain power to recognize serious mental illness and address it. Am I bitter? You bet. On many levels. My nephew did what he did and he is responsible. But, this crazy-assed, backward “city” lacks people with education who really understand mental illness. Too many degrees from Simpson and god knows where else.

• Carol, I am so, so sorry for your loss. I cannot even imagine what you’re going through right now. Words fail.

I didn’t know your sister, but I believe you when you say that she was a wonderful person. What a horrible thing to happen.

Doni

• Avatar Anita Lynn Brady says:

This is so heart-breaking. My condolences to your family.

• Avatar carol stefanik says:

Thank you Anita and Doni. Redding is not all bad but has so many problems that seem\to never get appropriately addressed. I didn’t mean to bash all conservatives. There are good conservatives, of course. My sister was among them. But, she was not rigid in most of her beliefs. We were raised by loving parents and my father was an open-minded man. So, we didn’t get doused hatred for those who are different when we were growing up. My mom is a sweetie. This whole thing is so traumatic, I feel like I am in a horror movie. So, you can see some of my anger in my posts above. I have friends in Redding and don’t want to offend them by my writings. I just know what effective, evidenced-based treatment is having lived and/or worked throughout the country. I will never get over this. But, kind and caring people like you who write and don’t even know Joan or us/me keep me hopeful that I will be able to carry on and help my family with this horror.

3. Avatar Joe Reitmeyer says:

Carol, I don’t know if you remember me, but I graduated with Joan. I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Joan was a wonderful person and classmate. My condolences to you and your family.

• Avatar carol stefanik says:

Of course, I remember you, Joe. I know I sound so very bitter in my post above. But, the shock, horror, and grief are immeasurable. My mom is still alive and dealing with this at 94. My sister has a older son, a granddaughter she doted on, and a husband she loved.

4. Avatar Candace Dvorak says:

Carol, I’m so very sorry to hear about Joan. I just heard what had happened from a classmate we graduated with. I don’t know if you remember, but she stood up for my wedding and visiting with her was always a special time when she came to Wisconsin. She will always be special to me and my family. Again, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

5. Avatar Donna Foytik says:

Carol, I was a classmate of Joan’s , I don’t remember if we had a classes together but I do remember her beautiful smile. My thoughts and prayers go out to you at this time

• Avatar carol stefanik says:

Thanks so much. It’s a tough time. Dad has been gone for 5 years, but he was 101 when he died. Joan’s death was way too soon and way too traumatic. I remember both of you. Stay safe and enjoy every minute of life!

6. Avatar Dennis & Jean {Krueger} Kiekhaefer says:

Carol, You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. Dennis and I graduated with Joan and we will always remember her great smile and amazing laugh. Dennis had your dad for a teacher and said he was a lot of fun. We feel so bad for you and pray all the memories you have of Joan help you through this difficult time. God be with you.

7. Avatar MaryEllen (Krummel) Fitzmaurice says:

I am so sorry to hear about Joan. I also was a classmate of Joan’s. Always a fun and bubbly person. I was also in her dad’s class. You have my prayers.

8. Avatar carol stefanik says: