A New Way of Receiving the News—Who Knew? New News Column Debuts Monday

There’s a new sheriff at A News Café. Or maybe it’s a new news sheriff? Or an old sheriff offering up some new news?

To be honest, it’s pretty much anybody’s guess (and no, “fake news” does not count as a guess) as to what you’ll find here. But what I can say is, that after a brainstorming session with Doni Chamberlain, this site’s editor, publisher and chief bottle washer, the two of us have decided to switch things up a bit as far as my role at A News Cafe.

Beginning Monday, I will be reporting on Redding-area news in a column to be published here on a weakly, er, weekly basis.

Certainly, I will still keep a watchful eye on the Redding City Council, but I may not grind all the way through some of those four-hour marathons. Instead, my goal is to report on the people, issues, events, developments and trends that may be of interest to A News Café readers.

The hope Doni and I share is that faithful readers will get in the habit of checking out the column each week for a quick and informative update on current events in the community as well as some occasional analysis.

A little background: I’ve been a Redding resident for the past 32 years and a journalist for 37 years. After stints at newspapers in Woodland, Davis and Vacaville, I was on the staff of the Record Searchlight for 15 years. I’ve continued my career as a freelance writer, in between a three-year stretch as the editor of an online newspaper in Mount Shasta and five years as a development officer at Redding public television station KIXE.

Rest assured, none of this will be on the test.

Please tag along beginning Monday and together we’ll see where this thing leads us.

Thanks.

Jon Lewis
Jon Lewis is a freelance writer living in Redding. He has more than 30 years experience writing for newspapers and magazines. Contact him at jonpaullewis@gmail.com.

1. Tim says:

Looking forward to it. But I do hope you continue your excellent coverage of council meetings – it has been a relief to skip them knowing someone of your caliber is there taking notes and objectively summarizing the evening’s highlights…

2. Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

I’m looking forward to your new column, Jon.

3. Beverly Stafford says:

WELCOME! The only articles I read online at the local bird cage liner are David Benda’s business columns, and since I don’t subscribe, I’m limited to just a few views a month. You can be assured that I’ll be one of the myriad looking forward to Monday mornings with Jon.

4. Cathy says:

Looking forward to it!

5. Patricia Bay says:

I will be happy and appreciative to read an actual reporting of the news. I am so incredibly tired of everything being turned into a political slam on whatever side the reporter happens to passionately dislike.

6. Great news for anewscafe readers – looking forward to Monday, Jon!

7. Ann B. says:

Looking forward to your articles, Jon.

8. conservative says:

To be informed in Shasta county, you have to read the Sacbee, ChicoER, Times-Standard for local news. A North State news aggregator would get more readers and advertiser support.

For example, Calaveras county banned commercial pot growing. http://www.uniondemocrat.com/localnews/5912982-151/the-ban-some-growers-will-burn-pot-some.

Some headlines, deliberately given without link

Davis may have just seized the crown for ‘most hopelessly liberal city’ in California

California’s timber industry was sacrificed for the spotted owl. Now pot farms pose a new threat

United to begin direct flights from Humboldt County to Los Angeles

Local Safeway stores are no longer 24/7

9. Common Sense says:

Great Idea you two and looking forward to it! I get better, accurate news currently from Chico about Redding events than from Redding….just saying! With the Pop-ups….the Blaring ads and the Bias in the “Local” Media…..A anewscafe could become THE source for Accurate local news!

10. Jon, I am so excited about your column. You are one of the best journalists I know. I’m confident this column will be a winner. I can’t wait! Mondays just got a whole lot brighter.

11. George Parker says:

Congratulations, Jon, and I look forward to your column on Monday.

12. Debbie says:

Looking forward to reading this column! Great addition!

13. Good luck Jon…I look forward to your take on local news!

14. David Jackson says:

This is great, Jon! Looking forward to reading your new column.

15. Lou Gerard says:

Given the sad state of our local newspaper, under the thumb of USA Today, your venture could fill the void created by the loss of many a good local journalists , now gone missing. To be honest, I still subscribe to the RS, and always will. The morning paper is a basic part of my being.. But then too, is life-longa subscription to the SF Chronicle, one of the few great newspapers in California.

16. AJ says:

Jon this is so exciting!! I LOVE your writing style and have for many years. . . . I can even get through your reports on the city council!!
    RE-WELCOME TO THE CREW. . . . Or maybe that should be, CONTINUED WELCOME.

17. Frank Treadway says:

Yea…what a team, the two of you putting the words together will make it newsworthy for all readers.

18. Bruce says:

Great news, Jon. Always well said and well researched.

19. John says:

I’d love to see the goal of becoming more like Lost Coast Outpost over in Humboldt

20. Mistress of the Mix says:

Yes. Yes! YES!!!!!!

21. Joanne says:

Great news, I look forward to your columns , Jon.

22. Bob says:

Lew: Good for you! Just don’t give up Tuesdays with the wooly bully group!

23. Richard Christoph says:

Great news, Jon. But we will miss your uncommonly accurate coverage of City Council meetings.

24. Your city council coverage has been awesome, but I’m looking forward to see you exercise your considerable writing chops.

25. conservative says:

Suggestion, double the subscribers to double (or more) the ad revenue. There are many people in Chico-Paradise who would read if there were more coverage of their local issues.

• conservative says:

Correction, the fourth word should have been “readers”. AnewsCafe could expand regional coverage to increase advertisers.

26. Candace Brown says:

A great idea … and no better choice to write a new news column!