13 Year-Old Dies From Gunshot Wound Near Shasta Lake

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at approximately 1332 hours, the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call from a subject who reported that a 13 year old boy had been a victim of a gunshot wound while hunting with his father and other friends in the area of Robert’s Canyon off Shasta Lake.

Shasta County Sheriff’s Office Boating Safety Unit responded along with Fire Personnel, Fish & Game and members from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit. Upon arrival, deputies located the 13 year old boy who was deceased from a gunshot wound to his person. At this time we are not releasing names or any further information in regards to the case until all family members are contact and the investigation is completed.

Update: On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at approximately 1332 hours, the Shasta County Coroner’s Office responded to the report of a juvenile gun shot victim on the Pit River Arm of Shasta Lake. Upon arrival it was determined that the juvenile and his father had traveled from Washington State and were hunting in the area over the past several days. The juvenile suffered a fatal gun shot wound to his person. The juvenile has been identified as Michael Hunter Cook with a date of birth of 04/16/1998. The autopsy is scheduled for Monday October 24, 2011.

-from press release
A News Cafe, founded in Shasta County by Redding, CA journalist Doni Greenberg, is the place for people craving local Northern California news, commentary, food, arts and entertainment. Views and opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of anewscafe.com.

1. Avatar Nadine says:

bye Michael you will be missed if only you could see how everyone has come together crying,writing memories,and wearing black in your honor we love you cookie.

• Avatar Tejas says:

I cant believe this happened. We were such good friends. You were going to come over for thanksgiving but now youre gone. Im so sorry. We miss you so much

2. Avatar jaida says:

Still to this day, it is hard for me to cope with the loss of my good friend mikey. He had an amazing sense of humour. He could make anyone laugh. On hat day he wore a sombrero and pancho… oh mikey. He was always so full of life, joy, excitement. He lived every day to his fullest. And now I know that he wouldn't want me to cry over him. He would want m to be happy about the time I got to spend with him. He would want me to look back on good times, good memories, and smile. Laugh. Not cry. There were so many things I did not get to tell him. How much he really meant to me. To everybody. This situation, this person impacted our whole school, our whole community. Mikey. You were amazing! U left behind friends and family when you passed. but now I know god did not take you from me, from all of us. He simply accepted you into heaven. Accepted you home. To mikey's family. I fee for your loss. Your son was an amazing person and he will never be forgotten. I love you mikey. I always have and always wll. I will promise to remeber you, think of you, every moment of every day of forever. Rest in peace. Farewell until I will see you again someday in heaven.

3. Avatar julian says:

we (mt.side middle school) love you soo much! we miss you to. you are also in the year book! we love you alot.never forgotten!<3

4. Avatar Dominiqe says:

It was a sad day for everyone at Mountainside the day we heard that Michael had died. We miss him so much. His picture is in our year book we all miss you Michael I know I do.

Remember Michael Cook a nice friend. Never forget him.

5. Avatar me says:

i open up to facebook

i log on

seeing all RIP on someones facebook wall

Michael Cook

we used to call him Mikey

so i thought i didnt know who was Michael Cook

but i go on his wall any ways

i look thought his pictures

smiles on his face

smiles on every picture

i realize its him

Mikey

i stare and stare

getting teary eyed

but i stop

thought it was a very sick joke

but i keep seeing all the post

saw the words gun hunting dead RIP

no this is not true

few days back

before you went on your hunting trip

we just talked

and a few weeks before that

we just met

flash backs in my mind

i start to cry

more and more

days later i come to school

sat in the front row

no make up

just in sweat pants and and sweat shirt and in my thick ugg boots

really sad

i looked sick

and same with every friends of mikey

sitting there in social studies

only few people knew him in that class

then mrs.freeman walks in

told us what has happen

me crying my eyes out

she took me with every one else was

sitting there with girls i knew

in a corner

crying

sniffles

sobbing

in pain

so much was going on

saw many people in and out

sitting there sobbing together we look around

tables every where

we could of sat in

but no

we sat in a corner

still looking around

saw a boy

the only

we got up and went to him

brendan

brendan was his name

later now

months has past

it was your birthday

made letters

let balloons flow through the air

tears

we never let go

we dont plan on letting go

we wont till we are with you

days go by with out you

wishing you were here

we love you

we miss you

we will see

you later?

6. Avatar Theresa says:

Happy birthday this month michael…we love you and miss you so much.