Sunday Funny: Gotta Love Our City Council

sunday-funny-city-council

Watch your elected Redding City Council in action: Click here for video of the July 20 meeting’s lengthy discussion of agenda item 9D, about Redding Police union contract concessions. After much public comment on the topic, council members begin their discussion about 1:58 hours into the meeting, their debate growing more pointed 2:26 hours into the meeting.

phil-fountain-laughingPhil Fountain is a cartoonist, writer and occasional bed-wetter based in the far reaches of Northern Californey.

Phil Fountain is a cartoonist and writer based in the far reaches of Northern Californey.

1. Avatar hipneck says:

Nice job again–Everything I know about Redding politics I learned from Sunday Funny. Did I just say that out loud?

2. Avatar Kelly says:

Man, did you hit a home run with this one!

3. Avatar Natalie says:

The "Certificate of Birther" in Ms. McArthur's hand is signed by Dr. Milton. Philbert, you are priceless! The details in your 'toons are always amazing. Thank you for your wry take on things.

4. Avatar Dorothy Nethery says:

Phil, You are the Jon Stewart of Redding! We need your humor, to keep us all from crying.

5. Avatar JP Adams says:

'Over men and horses hoops and garters

Lastly through a hogshead of real fire!'

..And the King looks a little like Tricky Dicky.

Funny stuff Phil.

6. Avatar Viki Twyman says:

Phil, I love how you get everything so right in such a funny way! November can't come soon enough!

7. Avatar Alan Ernesto Phillip says:

Oh, GRAND SLAM!!!!
    (New York, D.C. and L.A. can't have you: You are a keeper Phil…)

8. Avatar Donna says:

Did any of you watch the Council meeting? You can click on the URL from this site, I encourage each of you to actually watch 9D on the agenda. You can click that on from the agenda and go straight to it. The people of Redding are being blatantly ignored by 3 of the elected Council people. I could not believe what I was seeing.

Phill's cartoon says a lot, but the actual viewing says even more

Donna

• Avatar Larry says:

I was at the council meeting and I also viewed the video because

I couldn't quite believe what I witnessed . Love the cartoon .

9. Avatar Diane says:

The video is almost 90 minutes long and worth watching. The speakers who got up in support of the RPOA and RPMA were more articulate than the Mayor (did he mean the laughter was devisive or "decisive"?), Missy or Bosetti. It is embarrassing that these three Council members feign representation of the citizens of Redding. Laughable. The cartoon is right on.

10. Avatar Bernadette says:

While your humor is spot on, their behavior was not…. Please draw some of the 3 in the middle leaving town!!!!!!

11. Avatar Philbert says:

Thanks for the kind words, folks! You know, you have to give these guys some credit, they've managed to accomplish something that I thought was an impossibility. Making Dick Dickerson a sympathetic figure.
    Will wonders never cease?

12. Avatar Mike says:

Dick has devoted his entire life to public service. How anyone could be critical of his motives is beyond me. The "trough" line was outside the parameters of acceptable debate. The "born in Redding" dig was also very revealing of a bizarre narcissism.

13. Avatar pmarshall says:

Love this one, Philbert! You are right on! When I enlarged the pic, I saw Dr. Milton's name onMissy's paper. Grand. And I have known for some time that the City Council is in disarray. Come November, I hope we have some sort of choice; but with so many running for the offices, the vote will be well spread out. If I were many years younger I would run (not walk) also. However, maybe I'm not that smart. Who needs to be?

14. Avatar Extraterestrial says:

My civilization sent an expedition to traverse the universe to probe the City Council. It was a waste of time. They are all assholes. We knew that before we built the spaceship.