Candidate statement from Ron Largent, candidate for Shasta County Assessor-Recorder
To the Proud Voters of Shasta County,
It is my privilege to have the opportunity to represent you as a candidate for Assessor-Recorder in the upcoming election on June 8th. This is an important decision to all of our local citizens that impacts our future and the rights of property owners in Shasta County.
With these thoughts in mind, I think it is imperative for everyone to understand my positions and the facts behind this candidate race. Let’s be honest. California and Shasta County is in a real estate crisis indeed, an economic crisis the likes of which have never been seen in history. There has never been a more important time to assure that your property assessments are fair, timely and equitable. This is why I have chosen to run for the office of Assessor-Recorder.
The past 40 years of my professional career have been dedicated to the field of Real Estate, both residential and commercial. I understand the complexities of the market and am extremely knowledgeable of property valuations, appraisal practices and the importance of fair taxes for all. The incumbent insists that 100% of all eligible properties have been reviewed and reassessed under California Proposition 8. If that is true, why have so many citizens come forth with personal experiences of delays, questionable assessments vs. current market value and ultimately higher property taxes?
Is your property over assessed? If so, it is vital that immediate action be taken to correct the problem that exists. My campaign platform is philosophically different from the incumbent with a focus on conservative, limited government, and proactive initiatives to correct the disparities that exist and provide a timely and equitable solution to our problem.
These are the following pledges I offer when elected to office as Shasta County Assessor-Recorder:
- TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION. Comply with California Proposition 8, a law that protects your rights during times of market decline as it relates to Proposition 13. You deserve timely and fair representation.
- COMMUNICATE. Involve community agencies and county officials in the discussions of market fluctuations to allow them adequate time for fiscal budget adjustments while protecting jobs and economic growth.
- EXECUTE. I will provide an open-door policy with a direct line to me personally. We will publish and conduct a visitation program to each county district on a monthly basis allowing public meetings to discuss assessments.
- DELIVER. It is the core of my campaign to offer fair, timely and equitable decisions that impact the rights of the individual taxpayer. You deserve nothing less. My pledge equally supports the need for County Agriculture & the Williamson Act.
Leadership is determined by those who empower the people around them to perform extraordinary tasks in difficult times. The subject of politics is often deemed a career for those who have spent most of their lives in government. The very principle of being a Public Servant is a privilege, not a job. Our most successful leaders have often been highly successful business owners, managers and gifted people with true vision. You have a choice on June 8th to elect the right person as Assessor-Recorder of Shasta County.
This is a contest of differing philosophies on the role of the government servant. I am coming as a small business taxpaying citizen without county government background or experience. This is clearly different. My commitment and pledge to you: represent, with integrity and determination, you and your property in a fair, timely and equitable manner.
MAJOR ENDORSEMENTS INCLUDE:
Shasta Republican Assembly – (California Republican Assembly)
Senator George Runner – Candidate for State Board of Equalization
Cris Andrews – Retired 3-term Shasta County Assessor-Recorder
Trish Clarke – Retired 4-term Shasta County District Supervisor
For more information and FACTS behind this election, please take a moment to explore our extensive website at www.largent2010.com
I’m confident you will find the answers for many questions that you and other local county property owners are seeking as well.
VOTE FOR RON LARGENT
“Experienced Leadership That Counts.”
My Commitment to the Citizens of Shasta County,
– Ron Largent
Candidate Bio: Ron Largent
- Ron Largent grew up in the Los Angeles area, graduating from Compton High School in 1957, after serving as President of the Student Body of the 2,700-student school. He graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree and Secondary Teaching Credential from the University of California at Santa Barbara in 1962.
- Ron and his wife, Audy, have four grown children and 9 grandchildren, and their older daughter Christy and their younger son Curt, and their families, all live in the Redding area.
- Entered the Air Force Officer Program where he served on active duty for 5 years and retired as a Lt. Col. with 28 years in the Air Force Reserve
- Ron moved to Redding in 1971 and in 1974 opened his own real estate firm in the Enterprise area.
- In 1979, Ron and his family of 4 children moved to the Washington DC area to join Century 21 as a Regional Director
- In 1984, he took a position as District Manager with World Vision, a Christian Relief and Development organization, and held various management positions with World Vision in Columbus, OH, and Phoenix
- In 2000 he returned to the Redding area to join Coldwell Banker C&C Properties in a management capacity and in 2005 became part owner and manager of Keller Williams Realty, growing the firm to 92 agents
- Ron has served the community in various organizations, including President of the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army, Board member of the Good News Rescue Mission
- Board member of Shasta Voices, Vice President of the Military Officers of America, and Committee Chairman of the Shasta Association of Realtors, where he received the Presidential Award for service to the real estate community
- Active in the Neighborhood Church, the Enterprise Lions, the Millville Grange, the Palo Cedro American Legion, the Rapture Brass ensemble, and the Straight Ahead Big Band
- He is an Ambassador for the Redding Chamber of Commerce and a member of the Redding and Bostonian Tea Party meetings
- Ron was on the National Board of KW Cares and is a member of the UCSB Alumni Club, the National Association of Realtors and the California Association of Realtors
- He is a California Certified Real Estate mediator, and has taught real estate at the Community College level
- Ron is an active supporter of the Redding Library Foundation and Simpson University Scholarship Fund.