Crisscross Shadows

Matt Grigsby
Matt Grigsby was born and raised in Redding but has often felt he should have been born in Italy. By day he's a computer analyst toiling for the public good and by night he searches airline websites for great travel deals. His interests include books, movies, prowling thrift shops for treasure and tricking his friends into cooking for him. One day he hopes to complete his quest in finding the best gelato shop in Italy.

1. Ginny says:

Great composition.

Where is it located? Reminds me of San Francisco………

2. Peggy says:

Cool! Oregon coast?

• Matthew Grigsby says:

Crockett, in the Bay Area.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

Until you posted this, I’d never even heard of Crockett. Wow.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

If you ever get off I80 to check out Crockett, go mile or so further down the road to Port Costa. Have a beer at The Bull Valley Roadhouse and another at the Warehouse Cafe. Port Costa is kind of a biker/burner/artist hangout—the population is about 200. The main street (only street) is Victorian—a bit threadbare, like a poor-man’s tiny Nevada City. A great little side-trip—we sometimes eat dinner there after Giants games.

• Matthew Grigsby says:

People we met in Crockett said the same thing. They said many people in town walk down to Port Costa on Wednesdays and have dinner at the restaurant. It’s on my list of places to check out.

3. Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

Wow. The photo gives me an intense feeling of “I’ve been there.” I’m pretty sure I haven’t, though.

As Yogi Berra is alleged to have said, “It’s déjà vu all over again.”

4. Karen Calanchini says:

You have a good eye Mr.Grigsby!

5. AJ says:

Little ol’ Crockett…..if you don’t look real quick as you come off the south end of the Carquinez bridge, you’ll miss it. Many a C&H ship tied up at that pier.