Open Conversation for September 2017

...

1. Common Sense says:

Who is next to go?

The #45 Drama continues daily without a day that goes by of not any bad news.
    Look for Tillerson and Kelly to be the next on the Gauntlet…..
    As the Administration Implodes and the walls come crashing down look for more unstable and bizarre behaviour….It’s his Pathology…..
    You can’t change a Pathology…..you can’t make a person change with his mental issues…it’s impossible.
    There is a mountain of evidence and there is no way out….It’s a one-way ticket for the Administration and all those involved in the conspiracy…..the only question really now is…..will they all do jail time….will they all cut deals and flip and will he do jail time?
    There is NO way to pardon anyone of State Level Crimes……..a one-way ticket folks…..the train….is just about off the tracks!

History is in the making….some see that….most don’t…..this will be in the History books!

2. K. Beck says:

Yesterdays answer to “What’s Next?”

Marketplace
    Aug 31 at 4:19 PM

Message body

Female small business owners are pretty optimistic when it comes to the future. According to a survey by Bank of America of 375 female small business owners, 2037 should be a very good year for women. That’s when the majority of women surveyed felt that women will earn equal or higher wages than men; the number of female-owned businesses would outnumber male-owned small businesses; and there would be an equal or larger number of women in C-suite roles than men.
    Expert panelists at Bank of America were a little more skeptical when discussing the results of the survey but noted that when it comes to shattering the glass ceiling, “the conversation is changing.” Around the time that the survey results were released, the White House announced that it was placing a stay on a rule that would require businesses to collect data on how much they pay workers based on race, gender and ethnicity. Advocates for women’s rights and equal pay decried the White House’s decision as an attack on women in the workplace.

3. AJ says:

I hear the sound of gnashing teeth….mine included.

4. Barbara Stone says:

(eyes rolling)

5. K. Beck says:

Redding is NOT alone:

As car break-ins jump 28 percent in San Francisco, police shuffle response
    By Kurtis Alexander and Michael Cabanatuan Updated 9:21 am, Friday, September 1, 2017

[I don’t see the link option on this page (actually, I don’t see ANY edit options on this page), sorry you will have to cut and paste]

6. Common Sense says:

As they have always said….”Just follow the Money”……Besides the Strong Partisan Politics in play, the Republicans at the top have a common money man that was VERY generous this last go round!

7. Common Sense says:

How #45 actually won…its all in the Data! The Analytics company co-owned by Steve Bannon was in the same office building…and Kushner worked his Magic…. They Swaying of non-critical thinkers in America….

8. Common Sense says:

How Russia used Facebook to buy and distribute bogus ads/propaganda for helping sway the American Voters and USA Facebook users during the election cycle…

9. cheyenne says:

And #45 is siding with Democrats on the budget in another showing of leaving the GOP. With his ego, Trump wants to become the only president elected from both the Republican party, 2016, and the Democratic party, 2020. Who’s going to stop him?

10. Common Sense says:

Muellers Indictments…….His Pathology might just be thinking that!….But his actions to date will not allow that….the real questions at this point are…..when not if….he will be leaving office….and will he do jail time?

If he keeps sparring with top Republicans….that Impeachment faze will be coming sooner instead of later….Once Mueller starts with the Indictments….and if the approval ratings continue down….that Turkey is Baked….

11. Common Sense says:

And now for great news that has nothing to do with Politicks….know any great cities with 1 Million in Population that wants 50,000 good paying jobs and tax money???

12. Gary Tull says:

In response to today’s Washington Post article which Common Sense posted the link to: the last I checked, Redding’s population is around 91,000. However, should Stillwater’s location work well for an Amazon HQ, it would be fantastic for the city and county. (Notice a Walmart Distribution Center in Red Bluff now.) Maybe someone should contact Jeff Bezos. Are you listening, COR?

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I visited Amazon’s web page that provides info about the HQ2 project, including proposal guidelines. In addition to wanting a million people (probably in large part for all of the infrastructure that goes with it, like an international airport), they want a city with an educated and thriving high-tech community (IT experts, programmers, computer engineers, etc.).

Sound like Redding?

13. cheyenne says:

Denver front range has over 3 million people. They are extending their commuter train to eventually run from Pueblo to Fort Collins so Amazon employees, who are not paid that great, don’t have to live in high priced Denver. Whether a Republican or a Democrat there is city in the front range waiting for them with like minded neighbors. The playground of the Rocky Mountains, skiing, hiking, fishing, hunting, mountain or road biking is readily available. Several colleges for further educating their workforce are there. Here in Cheyenne, the top of the front range, a very tax friendly business climate with the Laramie County Community College expanding and already has many northern Colorado students attending could be in the running. We have Sierra Trading Post already and a Walmart distribution center along with a Lowes distribution center.
    It takes a lot more than just a million people to attract big business.

• Common Sense says:

The Greater Denver Area on the outskirts makes sense to me for the New Amazon Headquarters 2. That whole area offers so much that they would be foolish to turn it down….the tax breaks….the tax credits the state would offer them…..and the pro business climate to boot!

Write them a Letter Bruce!

14. Common Sense says:

Glad I don’t live next door to the Stillwaiting but someone is on way Business Park!…. they are all giddy with a Chemical Company coming in there.Do your homework City Council…….how many square miles may be taken out if the “Chemical Company goes up in Flames”…….OH….its OK…its a Green Chemical Company…..ummm….do your homework……

Let us remember….Oroville Dam was Fine Also the State Said years go…..didn’t need any work done…..$250 MILLION later….

• cheyenne says:

The Microsoft data center here in Cheyenne has been using a fuel cell driven from the sewage waste plant waste for three years now.

15. Dick says:

Really COR? A 7 acre chemical plant producing 9 tons of Hydrogen a day? I don’t think that’s what most people had in mind when you were selling Stillwater to the voters.

16. Tim says:

Black man breaks into a convenience store to steal cigarettes during the Oroville Dam evacuation, gets caught, and is sentenced to 13 years.

White man breaks into a home during the same evactuation, steals a vehicle and a gun safe, and he gets probation???

17. Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

I learned today that Orchard Nutrition offers discounts to Bethel members, and I’m disappointed.

I’m not anti-Bethel. For one thing, I don’t know that much about them. For another, those members I’ve talked to have been friendly, engaging, and pleasant.

But here’s what rubs me the wrong way: Orchard Nutrition offers discounts to Bethel members, but not to veterans.

I’m pretty booked for the next few days, but late next week, I plan to walk into Orchard, ask for a manager, and try to learn of their reasoning for such a policy.

After that, I may never set foot in the place again.

• Tim says:

Your point is that retired mercenaries are more deserving of a discount than members of a church that volunteers (e.g. serves without monetary compensation) all around town?

• cheyenne says:

I am 74 and receive, like many others my age, a senior discount. I raised a family, volunteered in the community without compensation, paid taxes, and I still volunteer stocking kitchens for homeless, in your words, mercenaries. Bethel members, or any other church, are no more deserving of a discount than any other group. In fact giving a discount to a religious organization and not others borders on discrimination and may be illegal in federal eyes.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

Clever.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Careful, Timbo. I’ve only met Hal a couple of times, but my impression is that he can probably handle himself. 😉

Regarding a leap in your logic: At most, Hal’s statement suggests he thinks vets are *equally* deserving. Nothing in his statement says *more* deserving. He never says that his intent is to get the Bethel discount discontinued.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

Yeah, for a guy who seems smart and articulate, Tim’s attempt to get my goat seemed kinda clumsy. But then, I’ve been around a bunch of very adept goat-getters for years now. They’re good at getting goats, but they tend to be lousy at poker.

• Tim says:

No, if he thought they were *equally* deserving he’d wonder why Bethelites don’t get the same discount as military at the local car dealership or realtor — places where there are much larger savings are to be had than on Echinacea.

• Beverly Stafford says:

Hal, I’ll be eager to hear what you learn from the Orchard Nutrition manager. The answer may sway my future purchases.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I’m aware of several businesses around town that are owned by Bethelites and offer discounts to Bethel students only—show your card, get your discount. So long as these businesses aren’t non-profits (and thus subsidized by taxpayers), I don’t have a big problem with it. It’s the business owner’s right, just as it’s the customer’s right to be offended and go elsewhere.

• The Old Pretender says:

That’s odd. I take issue with this, if true. Please let us know why this is being offered. Few things worse than church members feeling privileged. 🙂

• K. Beck says:

I don’t know that much about Bethel either. Although I have met numerous people who belong to that church and they all seem like good citizens. Perhaps these are “student discounts” offered to all students? That is pretty common. And, I think, it is up to the business as to what constitutes a “student.” I have never heard of anyone asking if the student is attending an accredited school. They just show their student ID. What if the “student” was from Simpson, would you feel the same way about it? For all I know they issue degrees at Bethel and are accredited????? It is much like a “senior” discount. Sorry you were “rubbed the wrong way.” Do let us know what you find out.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

K., I’ve learned that there is some confusion as to whether this is a student discount or a discount for Bethel members as a whole. In fact, I thought I had deleted my post; I didn’t want to stir the pot until I really know what’s going on.

One person, I’ve learned, has maintained that the discount applied to BSSM, Shasta College, and Simpson University students. As far as I know, there has been no clarification from an Orchard manager–yet.

Even if the discount only applies to Bethel members, I’m kind of done feeling riled up about it. As Steve Towers pointed out, there are a number of businesses owned by Bethel members in the Redding area. I’ve probably been in some without knowing they were owned by members, much less whether they offered discounts for veterans.

I’m only an occasional customer at Orchard, but I like the place. I may change my mind about avoiding the place, even if that discount is for Bethel as a whole and not just students.

But dammit, I reserve the right to grumble for a few weeks before changing my mind.

18. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I noticed that the comment-formatting tools have disappeared from anewscafe.com, including the ability to embed website addresses in text. Maybe this has been explained elsewhere and I missed it. Anyone got the low-down?

19. Art McBride says:

Aren’t churchs like other organizations that give stuff to their members? AAA and AARP, just to name two, have all sorts of discount programs for members. I stay at a motel, eat at a restaruant and take advantage of my membership by showing my members ID for a discount. Seems like the same thing to me – but I do wonder what the Bethel student ID card looks like.

20. The Old Pretender says:

Students are one thing, much like a senior discount, but a special discount to church members that is not given to normal co-op members appears problematic.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

It’s clearly a form of discrimination, but I don’t see how it’s problematic. Nobody’s civil rights are being violated. Business owners aren’t compelled to charge everyone the same prices—few complain when retirees (America’s wealthiest cohort), students, and veterans get discounts. I’d be crankier about it if I was walking into Redding businesses and seeing signs that read, “Atheists, agnostics, and Giants fans are subject to a 25% service surcharge.”

I have a cousin who owns a few Chick-fil-A franchises in the Denver area (a regular store, a store at the airport, and one at a stadium). You have to pass an extensive year-long vetting process to get a franchise—very few candidates pass. Officially, you don’t have to be a Christian. However, they ask to interview friends, family, business associates, and your pastor/minister. If you say you don’t have a pastor, look for something else to do for a living. If your pastor doesn’t confirm you’ve been attending church and tithing for at least three years running, look for something else to do for a living.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

“It’s clearly a form of discrimination, but I don’t see how it’s problematic.”

Agreed. And, if they offer discounts to Bethel members, but not veterans, I’m not going to engage in a campaign to bring them down. I just won’t go there.

• The Old Pretender says:

Orchards is a place I do extensive business, so yeah it’s problematic. Is it students, or just Bethel students? If Orchards is Bethel-owned, then I can probably expect preferential treatment of “their own”, which simply widens the rift between those who believe in science and those who believe in writhing and tithing. Preferential treatment for any religion has started a lot of historical messes. This may be a small one, but I need to choose to spend my grocery money at places that do not enhance a preferred class.

• Tim says:

The “freedom from religion” folks have successfully sued to remove church discounts elsewhere, arguing that such promotions violate the equal use of public accommodations on the basis of religion. As an agnostic, I get it, although it is way down on my list of social injustices (take god off our damn currency first, imo)

I just don’t understand our society’s reverence for veterans, particularly our attribution to them of this notion of “service.” American soldiers were well-compensated for their part in various nation building / puppet disciplinary campaigns: they earned wages that were above average for young adults (especially after factoring for food/housing), received vouchers for free college, get a lifetime of subsidized medicine, have lifetime access to subsidized housing/mortgages, etc. Sure, their job is dangerous (like many others), but statistically young men are safer in deployments than at home. And since soldiers had no control over whether they “serve” for good or evil, why encourage others to blindly put themselves at the disposal of men like Trump and the special interests that support him?

• cheyenne says:

Tim, while you are relaxing in your air conditioning posting on your computer many military members, National Guard and many are veterans of foreign wars, are on the east coast and Florida helping with disaster relief. Here in Cheyenne we have a lot of military so I have friends who have been sent to the Mideast sandboxes as well as deployed in nation for floods, earthquake, hurricane relief. My oldest daughter, graduated from Anderson, and joined the Army and she is doing quite well. Would it have been better for her to stay in Shasta County and become part of the drug infested culture that has engulfed Redding? The best path for the young of Shasta County is to join the military because there is no higher education, no jobs, and little hope if they stay in Redding.

• Tim says:

There are a great many private pilots, truckers, rail workers, and sailors bringing supplies to Houston and Florida too. No one feels the need to give them 10% off for doing their jobs…

Like Korea, Cuba, Vietnam, Iran, Columbia, etc before it I suspect the non-wars we’re fighting now are only in the interests of a few oligarchs and not in the best long-term interests of the locals, the world, or the average American. In fact, I bet the mastermind of the next 9/11 will have grown up in the chaos we’ve created over these past 16 years.

• cheyenne says:

Tim, the mastermind of the last and only 9/11 was at one time an Ally of America in Afghanistan against the Russians. Likewise Saddam was an ally in the Iraq-Iran war. The middle east has been in turmoil before America was even a nation. America did not start or create the Mideast problems and politically and militarily has tried to, unsuccessfully, help resolve those problems. The reason here in Wyoming and other states that fracking has been dominate is to make America less dependent on the oil battles in the Mideast. Yes, we are a major exporter of oil/gas but that has changed over the last few decades from an importer only status. As far as positive results of American influence in the Mideast the Arab population has risen up against the tyrannical leaders who banned many things that Americans enjoy as a way of life. The wars they are waging over there are because the fervent believers want to impose their strict religious laws and murder their own people. Should America just stand by and watch this tragedy unfold?

• Tim says:

That’s what we tell ourselves to feel good at night, but when you look at the regimes we actually support — and when — you’ll see that the American government doesn’t have any problem supporting oppressive, tyrannical leaders as long as they play ball with our government & its corporate supporters. Look at how oppressive Saudi Arabia still is (which is where most of the 9/11 Hijackers were from). Look at Sadam. At the Shaw. At Gaddafi. At Israel. At Bin Laden.

You’re right that the middle east was in turmoil long before we came along. It’ll still be in turmoil long after we’re gone. But as long as we’re there, we’ll be the outsiders easily blamed (and with some justification).

• cheyenne says:

Steve, that brings up memories, chuckle, of when I grew up in Salt Lake City. Getting a job wasn’t too hard if one had a recommendation letter from their bishop. But, even as a non Mormon, I had a recommendation letter.

• Beverly Stafford says:

We certainly can’t classify all Mormons like the ones in the following tale, but a non-Mormon friend lived in Boise and car-pooled her children to school with other Mommies. One day, her youngsters walked home from the usual pick-up place and said the Mommy driving that day wouldn’t take them because they weren’t Mormon. By the way, these were blonde, blue-eyed white children.

• Beverly Stafford says:

And on our one trip to Salt Lake, we expected to dine without sodas, coffee, tea, and certainly not wine. However, locals came to the restaurant carrying their own wine in paper bags and were charged a corkage fee. When we left and headed back to our motel, an apparently distraught girl stood on the sidewalk yelling, “F**k you, Salt Lake!”

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Beverly — Salt Lake City isn’t all that Mormon these days. They’ve had Democratic mayors since the 1970s. You don’t have to BYO when you dine out. The current mayor is a lesbian.

21. cheyenne says:

Actually the solution would be for Orchard to offer military discounts unless they have a compelling reason not to. Most businesses offer discounts to draw in more customers, senior, military, student, etc, in fact it would be hard to find a business that doesn’t offer discounts. Do they give discounts to Simpson students or Shasta College students?

22. K. Beck says:

Since this is an open conversation, someone please tell my why there is so much animosity toward Bethel. I know there are lots of them here, I think I heard about 8,000, and they do make a huge number of people compared to other organizations, but, what exactly have they done to irritate everyone so much? They seem to irritate people as much as the homeless and I just don’t “get it.”

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

K., I don’t know if you’re addressing me, but since I like attention, I’m going to pretend that you are.

I harbor no animosity toward Bethel. I don’t know enough about them to condemn them or criticize them. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is more good about Bethel being in our community than bad.

• Tim says:

I think part of it is the sibling rivalry that has plagued followers of Abraham for centuries. To vastly over simplify, Muslims & Jews think Christians are worshipping a false diety, Protestants think Catholics are succumbing to idolatry, mainstream Christians think Mormons are worshipping a false profit, etc. Unlike more conventional Chritian churches, Bethel emphasizes parishioners’ mystical interactions with the Holy Spirit through which they believe they can do anything (e.g. faith healing).

Additionally, Bethel’s “school of supernatural ministry” brings in an influx of people to Redding to each year – enough to noticably change the city demographics. These students often stay in massively overcrowded houses to save money and to live “in community.” These community homes sometimes cause neighborhood issues with too many vehicles & traffic. Additionally, some feel there is an element of exploitation going on: students, many from disadvantaged backgrounds, are asked to pay ~$5,000/year in “tuition,” but after 2-3 years they leave with no traditionally marketable job skills.

Finally, Bethel is a large and increasingly powerful political element in town and I think some folks are suspicious of their entanglement with the convention center or in funding the neighborhood police unit.

23. K. Beck says:

I was not targeting you, Hal. Since I moved to Redding in 2005 I have heard a lot of “complaining” about Bethel. All in all, I think Bethel has had a beneficial influence in Redding. Or, perhaps, no influence at all.

IRT the Convention Center: The CoR was planning on selling it to an outside entity (provided they could find a buyer…remember Stillwater?). Bethel stepped in and said they would manage it for FREE if they could use it for their large gatherings. Seems to me that was of mutual benefit. I am not sure if Bethel is building a huge conference building on their new campus or not, but if they are the CoR had better get hopping to figure out how to keep the Convention Center financed. Also, the sound system in the Convention Center is excellent now. Before it was awful! (maybe they should take over the Cascade Theater?)

IRT funding the neighborhood police unit: Well, we all know the citizens of this fair city do not want to pay anything for anything (two measures on two ballots meant to fund the exact same policing unity, both voted down). Somehow, they think government funding falls out of the sky. I have no idea if there was a quid pro quo agreement between the CoR & Bethel or not. Maybe so, but I can’t figure out what Bethel would want. I do not recall any of their students ever being arrested for anything. I am glad they bailed us out and I hope someone in the CoR is working on how to keep funding that police unit after the Bethel money runs out.

Faith healing has been around since the beginning of “religions,” seems to me. Doesn’t matter the religion people pray to whatever deity they think will help them with something. Perhaps the “school of supernatural ministry” was a bad advertising decision on Bethel’s part? All this “sibling rivalry” is pretty pathetic from all the participating groups. Seems to me to be anti-you-name-the-religion.

IRT: “some feel there is an element of exploitation going on: students, many from disadvantaged backgrounds, are asked to pay ~$5,000/year in “tuition,” but after 2-3 years they leave with no traditionally marketable job skills.” Ahhh, and how many people graduate from accredited institutions with the same outcome? Only MUCH deeper in debt. I don’t think Bethel is in the “marketable job skills” business. They are training missionaries, same as all the other churches.

Bethel owns many businesses in town and their students work at these businesses. They also employ students on campus. This helps the students pay their way. And gives them job skills to put on their resumes. Same as most accredited Colleges and Universities where it is called “work-study.”

I can understand the complaints about too many cars, etc. in the neighborhoods, but has anyone gone to talk to anyone at Bethel about this? Or has it been decades of grousing and complaining to each other about it. This is the only issue that is really anyone’s business seems to me. The rest is only the business of the folks at Bethel.

Fire Away!

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

That’s a good encapsulation of the concerns some local residents have about Bethel.

If Bethel were to pull up stakes and go elsewhere, it seems a no-brainer that the Shasta County economy would take quite a hit. That may be a piercing glimpse into the obvious, but I think many folks who don’t like Bethel don’t ponder that angle.

• Justin says:

You can be both…
        I don’t “like” bethel, but their money is green…

• Gary Tull says:

All true. Though folks might ask why exactly is a northern CA city of over 90 thousand dependent of a “Super Natural Ministry” to operate the town’s largest capacity performing arts venue and convention center, in the first place? What’s next?

24. Common Sense says:

Bethel doesn’t own many Businesses in town…that is not correct….People that Attend Bethel do….there is a difference.The reason the Old timers and Antiquated Churches don’t like Bethel is simple Math…..if your Weekly and Monthly Coffers show a decline each month…and you keep hearing about the Hundreds of Thousands a Year the Head of Bethel Makes along with all the other Ministers
    ( $100k +)….you might become a bit Jealous! I highly doubt everyone that labels “Bethel a Cult” has even stepped in the front door!….The Old Traditional Churches in Redding are like the 12 Ft Satellite Dishes of Yesteryear!…They might still work a little….but its NOT what the Church Going Consumer wants!….Bethel gives them what they want!….Obviously…..they are growing……they are “Connecting” with the younger crowd….they will continue to grow and prosper….they have the “Spiritual Recipe” many want to cook with……Music……lights…..Motion….Action……Spirit filled worship… When’s the last time you saw that at Mike Mangas’s Church?….

And just for the Record….I don’t attend Bethel….although I have witnessed their impact financially on Redding….and Redding Would FEEL it if they left for greener pastures….that I can attest to!

Imagine for a moment the perplexed look on the young lady’s face (Waitress) in the Restaurant serving us had when she came up to the table and said….” May I pray for you?”….Why HELL yes I said……the look….it was worth a million dollars….
    It was probably the same look Julie Winter had when she read the email just before taking office that talked about the city potentially taking in Many Millions in Tax Revenues if they just said YES to Prop 64!…That Dazed Perplexing look…..

25. Tim says:

CalPers set to slash pensions 70% for some Trinity County workers due to that water district’s $1.6 mm default:

Statewide, CalPers claims to be 68% funded, but that figure relies on the optimistic assumption that it’ll earn returns vastly superior to other funds its size. Rising contribution requirements have left many agencies looking for the door, but few can afford the termination fees. It would cost Chico, for instance, $175mm to leave CalPers — a figure that is nearly twice the city’s entire annual budget.

• cheyenne says:

CALPERS has lost investment money because of it’s politically correct policies of not investing in stocks deemed as not in line with the Democratic view, tobacco, gas/oil, guns. CALPERS, like many other public run funds, are reassessing their investment portfolios and are looking at changing their policies, this also was reported in the SacBee. Wyoming’s pension fund, not in trouble at this time, is changing it’s investment policies before it runs low, something other funds that were run by politically correct fund managers should have done. Most of the small cities defaulting CALPERS are doing so because they went from public employees to private contractors which was more cost effective. Other public agencies are hurting because of their own mismanagement of pension funds not because of CALPERS investments. When CALPERS was flush with money before the recession they suspended payments from their members because they were making a lot of money. Some member agencies, instead of saving that money chose to up pensions and wages as if that temporary windfall would be permanent and now are hurting. The school district I worked for in Redding, and which I was a member of the union negotiating team, wouldn’t treat those suspended payments as extra money and refused to include them in negotiations and did not fall into the pension liability trap of other CALPERS agencies. That school district is hurting now, like other agencies, because of lower enrollment and cutbacks from the state education funds, not because of CALPERS funding. CALPERS will return to its above average investment returns as it changes it’s investment policies, like private funds do, to better take advantage of financial markets. Despite what some doomsday prophets hope, the fund will return to it’s premier status. California is the sixth biggest economy in the world and hit a financial speed bump, like the rest of the world, but is returning to it’s golden past.

• Tim says:

With half of the board being elected by union officials, it is likely that CalPERS will follow in the footsteps of the Central States pension fund and vote against any cut in benefits all the way into bankruptcy under the assumption that taxpayers will eventually bail them out.

• cheyenne says:

Right in front of me is my ballot for CALPERS board members. I. like all CALPERS members, will research who is the best candidate to manage the fund for better results and increase the fund to where it once was, making enough to fund the retirements without taxpayer money. The problem is with the local agencies who belong to CAPERS, not CALPERS. These local agencies, including some in the north state, made unsustainable choices that they are forced to make their own retirement changes to. And as those changes have to be made in poorly managed agencies they will not affect the well managed agencies as each district is separate.
          CALPERS is not run by union officials, it is the public agencies that have bowed to local unions.

• Tim says:

Unfortunately, this is the mentality:

Hoffa said he wants to see Congress bail out the retirees similarly to the automobile industry or bank bailouts. “They bailed out Wall Street, I don’t see why they can’t bail out Main Street,” he said.

• cheyenne says:

And in real news, the mechanics private union I belonged to when I worked in the Bay Area, has recently sent me a letter that the Feds will not bail out the union pension fund.

26. cheyenne says:

And in Colorado the state has set a new record, $100 million in recreational marijuana sales per month. Denver is setting it’s annual budget with the aid of an additional $10 million in MJ taxes.
    Proof that not all marijuana growers are smart, but actually stupid, LE seized 9200 MJ plants off two islands in the Colorado River next to Interstate 70. LE had been watching this grow from a bluff for almost a year. The growers were from Sinaloa, Mexico, so maybe they hadn’t read the state laws. With Sunday I70 traffic rivaling any LA gridlock maybe these budding farmers planned on opening a roadside stall.

27. Common Sense says:

>>Siskiyou County Declares State of Emergency! Pot Growers overtaking the County!<<

Note to Shasta County….watch this one….this is what happens when you Say NO…..you are saying NO to Government Funding to fight what you so desperately want to squash.

So what would happen then in a situation like this by saying YES to Prop 64?….Well….it would start with Permit Fee Money coming in….and…it would continue with State Funding to fight the ILLEGAL growers….followed by more government Money from the State for Saying YES to 64….followed by yet, even More, money locally through a Sales Tax!

Lets us also not forget that by saying YES to prop 64 there is State Money available to clean up all those ILLEGAL Grows!….by saying No……YOU get to find the funding to clean it all up!

So Once again….we can see what Saying NO all the time amounts to…..NO Money for you! No Free Clean Ups for YOU!….NO State Grants for YOU……get the point…..I thought you would…..now if the Supervisors got it….and the local city council people…..then we are cooking with gas!

The State will have their OWN police force and will be out enforcing the State Prop 64 laws….only in those Counties that said YES to 64!……

Siskiyou County has not quite gotten that Just Say NO…… and….NO money thing yet…..

Will be interesting to see what the state does….if they throw a bone their way…..talk to them about the Consequences of that "NO" mentality…..or just bails them out…..hey….the Dem's are great about throwing money around! AS It might Set a Precendent…..all the NO Counties being over run…..then running to the State to HELP THEM…..don't be surprised if there isn't a flood of Money to fight what they have created!

28. Tim says:

A month after calling Trump ridiculous for his suggestion that statues of Washington and Jefferson would be the next targets of the PC police, BLM targets Jefferson statue: http://wjla.com/news/local/black-lives-matter-protesters-cover-thomas-jefferson-statue-at-the-university-of-virginia

29. Common Sense says:

Purchases for special favors or just coincidences…you be the judge!

30. Common Sense says:

Coming to a bookstore near you soon! The Answers to why #45 acts and does what he does!

31. Common Sense says:

Drug Company BUSTED! Yes, it’s the same company that put $500k toward the just say No To Cannabis effort in Arizona!

They always say…..just follow the Money!

32. Tim says:

K. Beck, it is not a revenue issue, it is a spending issue…

City of Redding budget:
    2001-2002: $212mm, 797employees, 83k population
    2002-2003: $195mm, 809employees, 85k population
    2003-2004: $197mm, 828 employees, 86k population
    2004-2005: $200mm, 843 employees, 87k population

2015-2016: $300mm, 772 employees, 92k population
    2016-2017: $294mm, 773 employees, 92k population

RPD budget, full-time equivalent staff, calls for service:
    2001-2002: $16.3mm, 159 employees, 74k calls
    2002-2003: $18.3mm, 162 employees, 78k calls
    2003-2004: $19.7mm, 173 employees, 77k calls
    2004-2005: $22.9mm, 178 employees, 82k calls

2015-2016: $26.3mm, 143 employees, 96k calls
    2016-2017: $26.9mm, 143 employees, 98k calls

It becomes even more obvious when you adjust for inflation.

Inflation-adjusted budgets (2017 dollars):

2002-2003: $25.0mm, 162 employees, 78k calls
    2003-2004: $26.3mm, 173 employees, 77k calls
    2004-2005: $29.8mm, 178 employees, 82k calls

2015-2016: $27.2mm, 143 employees, 96k calls
    2016-2017: $27.5mm, 143 employees, 98k calls

• Tim says:

So the city is spending an extra ~$30 million/year despite having ~50 fewer employees — where did that extra money go?

Partial list over the past ~20 years (many of these were in partnership with other agencies):
      Increased CalPERS contributions
      Sundial/Turtle Bay/trail expansions
      Stillwater
      Big League Dreams
      Redding Aquatic Center
      New Library
      New City Hall
      New Police Station
      Downtown mall roof removal
      Shasta College Downtown Annex
      Cascade Theater
      Bus/train depot
      Parkview revitalization
      MLK revitalization
      First time homebuyer programs during/contributing to bubble
      Hilltop revitalization (palm trees?)
      Kid’s Kingdom do-over
      fountains, salmon sculptures, welcome signs, fancy manhole covers

As for stillwater, the parallels between it and the original downtown mall are striking. The city, facing economic uncertainty after the newly completed i5 bypassed 99’s route through downtown, decided “if they build it, they will come” and broke ground on the mall. Finished in the early 70s, the bonds were still being paid down when the project was finally declared a failure 20 years later.
      Next year will mark 20 years since the council decided that they could bring big to Redding businesses if only they built an industrial park to house them (despite a dearth of empty industrial parks throughout California…and the USA). It should be noted that this was the same council that paid Chris King Components to move to Redding (which they did, temporarily).

33. Common Sense says:

Santa Rosa opens up its Mind bringing in Hundreds of Jobs and filling Vacant buildings! Rents increased two fold over night! Millions in Tax Money is just around the corner for this Open Minded Community now!

• cheyenne says:

Marijuana is not driving Denver real estate up, its only 3% of the commercial real estate and shrinking as the MJ growers are going to cheaper areas in rural areas. Denver is in the middle of an economic boom, which actually is forcing MJ growers out, as more and more companies are moving to Denver. Denver recently acquired the recreation show from Utah and with a $39 billion recreation industry and a recreational political lobbying arm of over 100 Colorado companies Denver is a very hot market. It also has been anointed the front runner to acquire Amazon 2. And this past week was announced that the Hyperloop project from Cheyenne to Pueblo has made it to the final ten.
      If Shasta County wants to become a marijuana location like these other places the growers are going to have to open their minds too. All these places like Denver, or Santa Rosa and others grow indoors, warehouses or greenhouses, with adequate security. On the positive side, all the articles I read about MJ they always mention the high quality of the Emerald Triangle. While many hybrid brands are being manufactured they cannot compare to the natural Emerald Triangle brand. For the north state to capitalize on marijuana the minds have to be opened by all concerned.

34. Common Sense says:

Manafort or Flynn? Who will Flip on #45 First?

With the Indictment of Paul Manafort a mear days away the big question now is….will he want to spend the rest of his life in Jail or will he Flip?….I have pushed all in on Manafort Flipping on the whole bunch and walking away with a bruise or two instead of many Prison Tattoos!
    Only one of them will get the “Deal” as that is All Mueller needs is one…..so who fesses up first might win the Prize!

Tick….Tick……Tick

35. cheyenne says:

Pelosi shouted down at rally in hometown SF. Clinton, to the dismay of Democrats, still hashing over 2016 election while trying to blame someone other than herself.
    Major changes coming to the DNC.
    Tick….Tick….Tick

36. Common Sense says:

Stockton Joins the Just say YES cities…Expected to take in Many Millions in Sales Tax Revenues! Create hundreds of jobs….

• cheyenne says:

$200,000 is not millions and this is a cultivation site for medical marijuana which usually is exempt from sakes tax. One thing of note that Shasta County growers need to learn from your link is that the cultivation site is indoors.

• Common Sense says:

That’s just one site….ONE…..allow 4 more and you have a Million a Year in tax revenues….that’s not including any Dispensaries .Medical is taxed also…usually at a lower rate!The Card holder Medical patient doesn’t pay that tax…but its built into the cost and hence the retail price….the Growers are Taxed.
        And Yes….as the majority are…that site is an Indoor Site……as I am assuming most in Colorado are?

37. Common Sense says:

So how Do Billionaires keep their own money you ask?….They Spend Other Peoples Money!

Thanks, everyone that supported my re-election 2020 Campaign!….It’s been Very Helpful to pay for all these legal fees!

Tick….Tick….Tick….

38. Hey, there. Today we welcome Moseley Family Cellars to A News Cafe.com’s advertising family. To celebrate our partnership, Mimi has generously offered 20 percent off wines when we go in to purchase wine and mention A News Cafe.com. If you haven’t visited their tasting room, this is a good time to check them out.
    Thank you, Mimi and Marty! We appreciate you!

39. Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

I’m getting the impression that the House and Senate aren’t devoting much attention to relief efforts in Puerto Rico. With three and a half million people living there, I sure hope my impression is wrong.

40. Common Sense says:

Hal, it appears our fine President is more worried right now about Kelly agreeing with him and the whole NFL thing than help the suffering Citizens of Puerto Rico! Perhaps someone can remind him that these are U.S Citizens?

41. Common Sense says:

It’s about this time that Hillary Clinton is saying…..”Yep….about those personal email servers used for Government Business-Jared and Ivanka! Oh, the Irony…..remember the chants….Lock her Up….Lock Her Up?……we have come fill Circle…..Any Guesses on Whom will actually be locked up?…..

42. Common Sense says:

RCD -Redding Cultural District Receiving $242k over two years from the McConnell Foundation!

43. Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

So here’s what I think about the NFL players doing all of that dastardly kneeling.

I very much support their right to protest. I’d rather see them do it at a different time than the playing of the National Anthem. Still, I don’t believe most of them are motivated by a desire to disrespect the flag or veterans or the little apple pies at McDonalds.

The players have the right to protest. The president has the right to urge that they be fired. The NFL owners have the right to fire their players, or not fire them.

But most importantly, the American public can choose to continue watching NFL games, or to switch to the Synchronized Swimming Channel on ESPN 37.

That’s what it really comes down to. The president can talk about firing the players all he wants, and the defenders of the players and those who condemn them can stay at each others throats, but if the owners arrive at the conclusion that the kneeling is costing them money, they’ll force the players to quit protesting. If the owners don’t lose money because of the protests, the kneeling and related gestures will probably continue until they sputter out.

Meanwhile, I’m much more concerned about the possibility of World War III.

44. Tim says:

Why is the NFL a non-profit?

• Beverly Stafford says:

Evidently that changed last year.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

The teams, which are individually owned franchises, are for-profit. The sole exception is the Green Bay Packers, which is publicly owned by the community (something that can’t happen under current ownership rules, which require one rich guy to own at least 30% of a franchise—a rule no doubt made by rich guys to preserve their rich-guy club).

Until recently, the NFL’s league office was theoretically a trade association—like business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, or boards of trade—and operated as a non-profit. “Professional football” was specifically written into the code that defines such non-profits, apparently to exempt the NFL and AFL from anti-trust laws, allowing them to merge. The NFL kept its non-profit status until 2015.

45. Tim says:

California’s war on rural citizens continues: failing to keep your cow in its pasture is a misdemeanor punishable by prison, yet (post prop 47) shooting heroin a park is a not punishable by jail…

• Beverly Stafford says:

A good portion of Eastern County is open range; so cattle have “trespass rights” on rural property. It’s always a bit of a shock to see cattle – cows and calves mostly – meandering on our road and down our driveway.

• cheyenne says:

And if a driver hits and kills a cow on open range the driver has to pay the rancher for the cow. That could be an interesting court case if a driver hit a cow on open range leased to the Bundys, who famously don’t pay the government for their open range grazing.

Goes both ways.

Locally, a woman rolled her vehicle while fumbling with her ringing cell phone, lost control of her car, and rolled it. Her 12-year-old daughter riding in the back seat was killed. The mom was charged and convicted of vehicular manslaughter and spent time in state prison.

However, if you leave your gun out where your kid can get it and the kid shoots himself dead or permanently maims himself, you either get charged with nothing, or you get a slap on the wrist. A local grandfather who left his gun on his nightstand where his toddler grandson got ahold of it and shot himself in the head, causing permanent brain damage, was required to give up his guns—that’s all. A local cop who’s toddler kid got ahold of his service revolved and killed himself wasn’t charged with anything at all—he didn’t even lose his job. The DA said that he had suffered enough. There are other local examples of this.

See? Being a gun-humper in red-county California affords you your own set of protections, so long as your f***-ups involve guns. Because charging someone with a crime whose irresponsibility and idiocy involves guns would be an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

• Tim says:

It may depend too much on the prosecutor’s discretion. The DA in LA vigorously prosecutes parents with unsecured guns…

On the other hand, inattentive driving kills a hell of a lot more people than kids with their parents’ guns…

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

The legal theory that severity of punishment for a crime ought to be positively correlated with population-level actuarial risk is a new one to me. I guess Jeffrey Dahmer should have gotten off a lot easier—not all that much dismembered body fetishism and cannibalism going around.

• Tim says:

As an environmentalist, you ought to have appreciation for the limiting the use of scarce resources to where they can do the most good, no?

How much CO2 does the US emit each year in its wars on the terrorized anyway? All for what, ~150 people killed each year by “radical islamists?”

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

The war on radical terrorism is the longest-running farce in American history. Its costs—in many currencies, including environmental—have been staggeringly wasteful and have achieved negative benefits.

As for that conflict being a metaphor about spending money wisely, I don’t think the decision to not prosecute gun-related irresponsibility—relative to other forms of irresponsibility—has anything to do with cost/benefit ratios. It’s a philosophy that’s actually written into state law: If your kid dies at the hand of your gun, you’ve suffered enough and are immune from prosecution.

I can only guess at that law’s true intent, but here goes: It’s an old law born of a desire to shield gun owners from potential criminal culpability.

And not to quibble, but there’s a difference between “environmentalist” and “environmental scientist.”

• cheyenne says:

Steve, I remember reading about the two toddlers killed by unsecured guns, which happens a lot, but I never heard of the mother jailed for cell phone use. I have to believe there were other factors involved, alcohol? I can find no report of such an incident, could you furnish a link?

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I couldn’t find an article, but this one came up while I was looking: Another local woman was texting and rear-ended another car, causing the death of the driver of the 2nd car. Sentenced to six years in prison.

• cheyenne says:

I remember that incident. Not mentioned was the driver while awaiting trail was involved in another, on the same road, accident while texting. Cell phone use has been shown by many studies to be as deadly to driving as DUIs and should be treated the same.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

The newest iPhone OS has an option that I chose to activate. It senses if you ‘re in a moving vehicle by your rate of speed. If you receive a text it sends a reply that says you’re driving and will look at the text later. It also de-activates the tone that indicates you’re getting at text. Pretty slick.

• Tim says:

…unless you’re a passenger!

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

It asks you if you’re driving. If you choose “no” it reactivates the texting function.

• Gary Tull says:

And, I would mention; additional legal protection to gun-bunglers in red-county CA provided by the NRA, their legal teams, and lobbyists. The 2nd Amendment provides a wide brush-stroke of protections… according to their interpretation.

46. Tim says:

In response to Bethel funding the neighborhood police unit, K. Beck wrote: “I have no idea if there was a quid pro quo agreement between the CoR & Bethel or not. Maybe so, but I can’t figure out what Bethel would want.”

Bethel might be Redding’s largest real estate developer and last night received council approval for their new ~$100 million development. Would the city have asked for additional (or different) concessions if it was another developer? Would the project have been approved this quickly? There is a reason accountants list “goodwill” an asset…

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Goodwill has to be earned, typically. When it comes to small local governments, the price of buying goodwill can be the cost of a meal of fried chicken and mashed potatoes at the local diner.

I’ll give credit to the members of Redding’s city government for being a little more sophisticated than the town fathers of Podunk.

• cheyenne says:

Would Tucson sending Jeff Bezos a cactus be considered Goodwill?

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Since Amazon rejected the gift, I’m guessing not. But maybe Bezos appreciates the gesture.

It’ll be fascinating to hear what Amazon decides regarding the location of H2. The rational for the decision will be picked apart and examined in exhausting detail, with the importance of whatever incentives the winner provided likely blown wildly out of proportion. Bezos could end up rejecting the Deep South, Eastern Seaboard, and much of the Midwest because he hates high humidity and funny accents, but keep that to himself.

• cheyenne says:

Amazon rejected the gift after several raised alarm at sending a desert cactus to its death in rainy Seattle. Besides, Denver has the inside track but judging by the comments on The Denver Post it may not be welcome in Denver.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

You would think that Amazon could find a suitable indoor spot for a big saguaro cactus if they wanted one. Their rejection note simply said that they can’t accept gifts.

Man, I can’t believe Denver residents (minus a few crackpots) are against Amazon H2 being located there. The Denver area’s single biggest private employer, CH2M, just got acquired by another company. CH2M’s HQ is in Englewood, and it’s usually the HQ that takes the biggest hit with consolidation.

• Tim says:

Denver (and Colorado in general) have changed dramatically over the past 20 years and not everyone is happy with the Californification.

Traffic is already a nightmare, unemployment is low, and government spending (and size) is up 20% in 5 years. Why spend the billions needed to compete with other cities for ~50,000 unneeded jobs — especially when they come from such a dubious* source?

*Amazon’s business model is built on monopolistic practices that have so far been tolerated by the feds (it pay$ to be a billionaire Democrat donor — repubs don’t want to regulate and dems look the other way!). However, Bezos has been antagonistic towards the current president (especially via the WaPo) and busting a trust that has cost rural America hundreds of thousands of brick & mortar mom & pop jobs would probably play to his base, even if not the Republican party.
            For its part, Amazon is essentially a non-profit. Sure, it has shown $22B in cashflow over the past 5 years, but they issued $30B worth of stock to get it. Should they become the target of a Microsoft-type inquest, their ability to raise funds through bigger fools in the stock market will evaporate and they’ll have to raise prices and stop expansion. They’ll lose their halo which currently allows cities to give away ~$22,000/job subsidies and tempts employees to work for submarket rates so they can put Amazon on their resume…

• cheyenne says:

Denver doesn’t need the dubious 50,000 jobs and what the costs might be, giveaway taxes. The outdoor industry of Colorado brought in $39 billion last year and an outdoor group of a 100 companies has formed a political lobbyist group to advocate on behalf of outdoor recreation, witness the move from Salt Lake to Denver of the outdoor exposition. In addition agriculture tech firms are moving to Denver because Colorado has a long history in agriculture. Likewise some oil/gas companies are moving to Denver to be close to the source. The front range from Cheyenne to Pueblo has been designated as a top ten finalist for the Hyperloop, but that comes with a $24 billion cost to build their demo, probably from DIA to Greeley because of less land to cover. This has allowed Denver real estate to skyrocket and the local prediction is it won’t slow down until late 2018. This could affect elections as each group will want to claim responsibility for the economic boom. Until it busts.

47. common sense says:

Pence Sells #45 Out…as far back as the Summer of 2017!

NO wonder he wanted this kept Secret! It may not end in him Automatically becoming President…but it may help with what ever he himself is charged with….perhaps no jail time for him since he has been Ratting his Boss out and Secretly Cooperating with Bobby III Sticks!

Let the Main Event Start…This show is going to get REAL Interesting here now…..

48. Common Sense says:

Even Mitch McConnell’s wife is in on the “Government for Profit Game”!….I Guess she Figured…Why Should #45 Make all the money off the Government?

49. Common Sense says:

I have had No Dealings With Russian…none….its all Fake news he says…..NO Dealings….NO Nothing……a Big Nothing Burger as R.V would say……ahhh…. Yep!

• Gary Tull says:

Wow! This appears pretty damn conclusive if it’s not (somehow) video shopped. Hope to hear what Robt. Mueller thinks of it soon.