Another Historic Redding Building – The Dobrowsky House – Demolished

Redding has a very bad habit of destroying its few historic structures. Today the Craftsman style Dobrowsky house at Yuba and Oregon streets was demolished to make way for the proposed new courthouse. This home joins the ghosts of many other downtown Redding buildings destroyed to make way for something new.

Redding has a shameful habit of obliterating its few historic structures. Today the ’20s-era Craftsman-style Dobrowsky house at Yuba and Oregon streets was demolished to make way for the proposed new courthouse. This home joins the ghosts of many other downtown Redding buildings destroyed to make way for something new.

Doni Chamberlain

1. Diane Hepburn says:

This “shameful habit” of Redding’s has persisted during the 46 years we have lived here.  It makes me sad and angry.

The Dobrowsky home was a beautiful example of the Craftsman-style architecture.  I kept hoping the powers-that-be would change the plan and keep this lovely home.

2. Steven Johnson says:

The “powers that be” were told the enclosed mall om Market Street would not work and it eventually failed.  I have seen classic and historic era homes demolished for bland and cheap looking business buildings and now we lose a beautiful Craftsman era home for what will look like a giant walk-man radio.  “A, o, way to go Ohio.”

3. cheyenne says:

Red Bluff has done very well with restoring their historic homes and creating a nice walkable downtown.

4. Steve Steve says:

I hate to see this happen.  What a beautiful house the Dobrowsky house was.  I like the way you said, “This home joins the ghosts of many other downtown Redding buildings.”  Downtown’s historic Redding really has become a ghost town that’s other worldly.  If you look hard enough you can see it.  When the new court house is built, I’ll drive by at times, and I will always try to imagine the Dobrowsky home sitting there.  It saddens me.

• Steve Steve says:

Doni, if you’re reading this, I thought this post ventured off into cyper space.  When I hit post, there was a huge clicking on my screen. and then nothing.  I wondered if the post would show up, but it never did.  I closed out anewscafe like rebooting and came back in to it.  Still, my post was not showing.  I waited awhile and still no post.  So that’s why I did a second repost.  Now today, I see this first posting???

• Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

Steve, for reasons known only to WordPress, occasionally a perfectly innocent comment like yours will be held back for approval or – worse – sent to the spam folder, which is where yours was. I check the spam folder now and then (not easy since we have been bombarded recently with zillions of spam) and that’s where I found your comment, which I approved.

Edited to add: I just found another comment in the spam folder that WordPress had decided was spam. I can’t explain what goes through its tiny brain.

5. Steve Steve says:

I hate to see this happen.  The Dobrowsky house was a gorgeous work of art from the earlier days of Redding.  I like what you said: “This home joins the ghosts of many other downtown Redding buildings.”  In my mind’s eye, I now see that home as a ghost from the past.  Once the proposed courthouse is built, every time I drive by, I will try to imagine the Dobrowsky home sitting there.  This saddens me.  Just yesterday KRCRTV reported that Chico made the LA Times bucket list celebrating the Bidwell Mansion.  And the very next day we send one of our beautiful, historic home’s into the ghost zone.

6. Mike says:

I live in Janesville Wi and it is the same way. The city neglects historic buildings and then tells the taxpayers it costs too much to restore. Then the structure is torn down to make way for a project that could have incorporated the original structure.   It is neglect-neglect-neglect and then borrow money we don’t have.

7. Jorgi says:

What a shame. I loved that old Craftsman house. Redding does seem to hold no value for old historic buildings.

8. Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

This picture illustrates how important your own remodel job on an older Redding house is.  Expensive, frustrating and time consuming, but a real gift to this community.

There are homes in our state and country and the world that have treasured and maintained and  been around  for decades and centuries.   People don’t flock to Old Towns or Europe to view new buildings.

9. Art says:

We never should have allowed the old Greyhound Buss Station to be destroyed. A lot of Redding’s history passed through there.

10. A. Jacoby says:

So many people fought so hard to save this building. That house and th trees surrounding it were absolutely gorgeous. So sad . . . .

11. Barbara Braun says:

It didn’t take them long to destroy the house.  I was sorry to see it go as well.  Redding doesn’t treasure it’s old buildings like it should. Hope they save the redwoods!