Live Music in the North State: April 28 – May 2

The Blues Rollers will perform at the Vintage Wine Bar in Redding this Saturday, April 29.

Folks, I’m running late with this week’s column, but I expect to be back on track next week. Thanks for reading, and thanks for supporting local musicians.

Friday, April 28

Mumblefinger performs at Cafe Paradisio in Redding, beginning at 7:30 p.m. All ages. (530) 215-3499.

Mr. Good Stuff at the Post Office Saloon in Redding, beginning at 8:30 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 246-2190.

TBA at Three Shastas Bar & Grill (Red Lion Hotel) in Redding, beginning at 9 p.m. (530) 221-8700.

Jimmy Limo at Dry Creek Station in Bella Vista, beginning at 6 p.m. All ages. (530) 549-5386.

Bernie Baker and Dave Short perform at the Woodside Grill in the Gaia Hotel in Anderson at 6 p.m. All ages. (530) 365-7077.

Downtown Band at the Palo Cedro Inn, beginning at 8 p.m. (530) 547-2022.

Loose Arrow at Pit River Casino in Burney, beginning at 9 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 549-4554.

Harmonica Steve at the Lewiston Hotel in Lewiston, beginning at 7 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 778-3823.

Allison & Victor at the Dunsmuir Brewery Works in Dunsmuir, beginning at 7 p.m. All ages. (530) 235-1900.

—–

Saturday, April 29

The Pat Karch Quintet performs at Redding School of the Arts as a benefit for the Festival Choir, beginning at 6 p.m. All ages.

Joe Nichols performs at the Cascade Theatre in Redding, starting at 7:30 p.m. All ages. (530) 243-8877.

The Blues Rollers at Vintage Wine Bar & Restaurant in Redding, beginning at 8 p.m. All ages. (530) 229-9449.

Vandella and Gringo at The Dip in Redding, starting at 9 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 241-2669.

Idle Hands at The Grape Escape in Redding, from 7:30 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. (530) 244-8463.

Boys Night Out at the Post Office Saloon in Redding, beginning at 8:30 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 246-2190.

Allison Scull and Victor Martin appear at Westside Wines in Redding, beginning at 7 p.m. All ages. (530) 722-6082.

TBA at the French Gulch Hotel, beginning at 8 p.m. All ages. (530) 359-2045.

Heavy Dose of Blues will perform as part of the Big Bend Annual Trout Derby at the Big Bend Community Center. The event will take place from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m. All ages.

Brandon Antakk, Sons of Jefferson, Adrian Taylor, and Pat O’Mac at the Downtown Ale House in Red Bluff, beginning at 8 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 727-9288.

—–

Sunday, April 30

The Linda Bott Jazz Ensemble plays the View 202 brunch in Redding at from 11:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. All ages. (530) 226-8439.

Open Mic at Cedar Lanes in Weed, starting at 8:30 p.m. Hosted by Greg Jeter. (530) 938-3278. This open mic happens most Sundays.

Monday, May 1

Tim Kasher, Allison Weiss, and Sir Francis Lee Howard at The Dip in Redding, starting at 7 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 241-2667.

Comedy open mic at The Maltese in Chico at 9 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 343-4915.

—–

Tuesday, May 2

God Van Damme, As Death Comes Calling, Abberance, and Frequencies at The Dip in Redding, starting at 7 p.m. 21 and over. (530) 241-2667.

In Chico, Madison Bear Garden’s open jam begins at 9 pm. All ages. (530) 891-1639.

Open mic at Gogi’s Cafe in Chico, beginning at 7 p.m. Open to all ages. Hosted by Dan Casamajor. (530) 891-3570.

Jimmy Limo makes his nearly-every-Tuesday appearance at Cooper’s Bar and Grill (Best Western Tree House) in Mount Shasta at 5:30 p.m. (800) 958-3363.

Thanks to Claudia Hastings for sharing her compilation of jazz events.

Hal Johnson
Born and raised in Ventura County, Hal Johnson moved to Shasta County in 1994. After a 38 year career flying helicopters, he can now sometimes be spotted around the North State singing and wrestling his guitar into submission. He always feels funny writing about himself in the third person. Contact him at shastalivemusic@gmail.com.

1. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I’m gonna toss this out there one more time: Anyone know what’s going on with the disappearance of music bookings at the Cascade?  Hal?  Anyone?  Buehler?  Buehler?  Buehler?

I asked Val and she was like, “Not our thang, bubs.”

It’s not gone to absolute zero, but compared to last summer/fall, it’s as if something significant has changed and nobody’s talking.

• Hal Johnson Hal Johnson says:

Steve, I just wonder if a 1000-seat venue is an awkward size for Shasta County. I’ve heard that the Cascade has taken a bath on some acts that were scantily-attended, with big bucks paid out to the acts. One person who works there told me, “It would be wonderful to get James Taylor here, but his price is so high that we’d have to charge more for tickets than most people would be willing to shell out.”

Also, I wonder if management is taking a long view, with the Holly Theater (Theatre?) in Medford being about two years away from going into operation. With that sister theater in operation, I think it could create a synergy in booking acts that could be a boon to getting more performers we want to see in Redding.

I suspect that the Civic Auditorium is bidding on some of those same 1000 seat acts that the Cascade bids on. If I’m right about that, it sure wouldn’t help the cause at the Cascade.

But heck, what do I know? After all, I’m the guy who still wonders if those Milli Vanilli guys were treated unfairly.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Most of the Cascade shows I’ve attended over the past couple of years have been sold out or well-attended, with a couple of exceptions that made me grit my teeth a little.  Some of the acts that have played at the Cascade in the past have also played at the storied Fillmore in San Francisco.  Their capacities are about the same, and I’ve attended some shows at the Fillmore that clearly weren’t sold out, but the bands keep coming back.  ‘

I don’t think there’s much support for the Civic Auditorium competition hypothesis.  If the Civic was outbidding the Cascade, they types of acts heading north and south that were stopping at the Cascade last year would be stopping at the Civic.  Nope.

A year ago it looked like the Cascade was developing a reputation as a great place to pull the bus off of I5 and play mid-week on your way from Portland to the Bay Area.  I hope that isn’t being squandered.

2. cheyenne says:

When I worked at SLC many music groups performed there.  I talked to the people putting on the acts and they said that it requires a lot of local input, sponsorships, grants volunteers.  I would imagine the same is true of the Cascade.  In a small area like Redding ticket sales alone won’t cover the costs and the local community has to pony up the extra money.  Enjoy the local talent, from Hal’s postings it looks like there is a lot more there now than when I lived there.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

Most if not all of the people who work at the Cascade events I’ve attended are volunteers.  There’s an obvious downside to that.  At a place like the Fillmore or Great American Music Hall, if you want a drink, it’s in your hands in about two minutes, and they take your money.  At the Cascade, you wait in an interminable line while a few obvious amateurs struggle to pour beverages and making change.

My understanding is that much of the gate typically goes to the bands, and the bar earnings stay with the house.  I’ve always thought the way the Cascade runs its concessions is costing them significant money.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked at the concession lines at the break between bands, my plastic Cascade tumbler in my hands (you have to have one to take your beer into the main room), and said to my better half, “Nah, screw it.”

• cheyenne says:

Steve, if you want professional servers in Redding you will have to go to Win River or events with professional catering trucks.  When I worked at SLC we did not allow food sales in the auditorium.  Snacks and drinks still made it into the auditorium and it is a pain to clean up, sometimes I would be there until the wee early morning hours.  I am surprised if the Cascade allows food and drinks in the seating area, especially if the cleanup crew are volunteers.

• Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

No food in the Cascade, and they only let you carry drinks into the seating area in spill-proof tumblers with sippy lids that they sell at the bars. The tumblers go for about $6 each—you can’t bring your own, I’ve seen people try—so people tend not to leave them on the floor like Dixie cups.  I have a half-dozen in my cabinet for when we go with friends and family.  (Or maybe I should say, when we used to go with friends and family.)