Redding March for Science

P1070417

Robert Brown had been organizing the Redding March for Science for a week. “It’s a lot of work,” he laughed, but added that it was wildly successful, estimating the marchers totaled around 400. Hosted by the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival and Young Democrats of Shasta County, the turnout exceeded his expectations – and the expectations of many of the marchers I talked to.

As Brown gave instructions to the crowd of marchers, he also talked about his childhood dream of being an astronaut, and lamented the cuts to the space program. Others stepped forward to talk about what this march and science means to them.

P1070415

Marchers moved along California to Placer to East, then down Cypress to Redding City Hall, where they joined the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival. Many carried signs supporting science and research such as, “Remember polio? Neither do I. Thank science,” “Ignoring science creates ignorance,” and “There is no Planet B.”

P1070413

All along the route, occasional call-and-response chants of “What do we want?” “SCIENCE!” “When do we want it?” “AFTER PEER REVIEW!” were heard along the path of the lively crowd. Participants ranged from small children holding finger-painted signs to white-haired men and women. One participant wore a State of Jefferson t-shirt and a pink pussy hat.

P1070414

Similar marches were held globally on Earth Day to show support for science and oppose funding cuts for such programs as NASA, the EPA, and communicable disease research.

Brown said he’s looking forward to one similar event every quarter. “We need to figure out what will get people excited, what they’ll turn out for.”

Barbara Rice
Barbara Rice is anewscafe.com's administrative assistant. She grew up in Igo listening to the devil's music, hearing tales of WWII, and reading James Thurber and Mad Magazine while dreaming of traveling to exotic lands. She graduated from the old Igo School, Shasta High School, Shasta College, and San Francisco State University. She's been told she's a bad influence and that makes her very happy. She tweets, travels, and spoils cats. There's a dance in the old dame yet.

1. john says:

What is an Igonian?  Someone from Igo? Maybe MacFarland Ridge?

2. Anita Lynn Brady says:

Chuck didn’t see you. He said he was towards the back.

3. A. Jacoby says:

HOORAY FOR US . . . . LET’S DO IT AGAIN! . . . and again . . . . and again!!

4. Barbara Rice Barbara Rice says:

Per Robert Brown on Facebook, the turnout was 458 marchers!

5. K.Beck says:

Thanks SO much for this article. I was near the back of the group and knew there must have been at least 300 people there. The so called news coverage on KRCR was abysmal. Understatement! (does this have something to do with their FOX affiliation?…you don’t have to report alternative facts, you just have to NOT report what is really happening). Night and day compared to what was reported on KHSL/CBS. Of course they had nothing about the Redding march, but they did cover the Chico march and the march in DC. Kudos to Robert Brown ESPECIALLY if he organized this in just one week. I suspect he is totally sleep deprived! This was also a good educational opportunity. Since I left my car at the promenade I had my sign with me as I walked around the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival. A woman came up to me and asked me what was going on. I said, for me, it was a protest about all the science funding cut backs. She said she is from LA, was a nurse, and since she retired she had not been paying attention to what was going on. Then I mentioned the cut backs to the NIH. Which REALLY caught her attention!

6. Steve Towers Steve Towers says:

I was at the March for Homeopathy.  I was the only participant, but that’s how homeopathy works.

7. Jeff Davis says:

Fake news! Sad!

8. Joanne Lobeski Snyder says:

Great article and pictures Barbara.   I attended the Whole Earth and Watershed Festival, and was in  time to hear some of the speeches at the end of the march.   I was impressed by how many people participated, how well organized it was, how much support for the marchers was demonstrated by the honks and waves of people driving by, and the professionalism of the speakers.

I think of science as a method used to find out what is really true about our universe and ourselves.  Science  is not influenced by emotion, wishful thinking, power or politics.

Thank you.